PSA: Eye protection

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bb, May 29, 2003.

  1. Bb

    Bb Guest

    Yesterday evening I was zipping down a rough section of fireroad; the handlebars were juddering
    like crazy and my whole world was a blur. Next thing I knew a small branch was right in front of my
    face, far too sudden to duck. I heard the familiar sound of something hitting plastic, and in a
    moment it was over.

    It was a good reminder to post something about eye protection. It wasn't something I worried much
    about, until several years ago someone on this NG got a stick in the eye - literally. Since then, my
    eyewear has protected me from branches and bugs quite a few times - far more than I've landed on my
    head (and we take helmets awfully seriously, don't we?).

    So if you don't have eye protection, get some. They're cheap and effective. If you ride in dark
    woods (where sunglasses are basically useless), you can get clear or yellow wraparounds from
    hardware or safety stores. UVEX makes some good ones; there's a dealer directory somewhere on their
    website (http://www.uvex.com). Personally I prefer yellow; it makes the world look happy. :) Clears
    are preferable at dusk, though.

    Don't take your eyes for granted.

  2. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Don't take your eyes for granted.

    Amen. I always wear eye protection when I ride and I encourage everyone else to do the same.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  3. BB wrote:

    >Don't take your eyes for granted.

    It's a silly way to come around to it, but it took a substantial investment in my eyes to get me to
    jump on the eye protection proselytizing caravan. I had Lasik, this short process cost as much as a
    very decent bike. So now it's eye protection, at all times.

    One I wa riding with my old corrective glasses and a branch stuck between the ear piece and my
    cheek, bent back and then FLUUUUUUUUNNNNNGGG!!!! my glasses off into the woods. The guys I was
    riding with asked if I was ok, and when i said yes, they rolled off. "Wait!! You gotta help me find
    my glasses!

    I couldn't read the cover of a National Geographic held at arm's length.

  4. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2003 11:27:38 -0500, Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >BB wrote:
    >

    >>Don't take your eyes for granted.
    >>

    >It's a silly way to come around to it, but it took a substantial investment in my eyes to get me to
    >jump on the eye protection proselytizing caravan. I had Lasik, this short process cost as much as a
    >very decent bike. So now it's eye protection, at all times.
    >
    >One I wa riding with my old corrective glasses and a branch stuck between the ear piece and my
    >cheek, bent back and then FLUUUUUUUUNNNNNGGG!!!! my glasses off into the woods. The guys I was
    >riding with asked if I was ok, and when i said yes, they rolled off. "Wait!! You gotta help me find
    >my glasses!
    >
    >I couldn't read the cover of a National Geographic held at arm's length.

    So you're happy with your choice of LASIK? I've been contemplating the procedure for about a year
    now, and I think I might be ready to give it a go. I'm sick of wearing corrective glasses, as my
    ailment has been a issue for the past few years. Before that I had perfect vision, and didn't have
    the need for glasses. Now that I've had them for a while, I can honestly say...I HATE THEM! LASIK
    sounds like the ticket, and my eye doctor tends to agree.

  5. Tom Walker

    Tom Walker Guest

    BB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Yesterday evening I was zipping down a rough section of fireroad; the handlebars were juddering
    > like crazy and my whole world was a blur. Next thing I knew a small branch was right in front of
    > my face, far too sudden to duck. I heard the familiar sound of something hitting plastic, and in a
    > moment it was over.
    >
    > It was a good reminder to post something about eye protection. It wasn't something I worried much
    > about, until several years ago someone on this NG got a stick in the eye - literally. Since then,
    > my eyewear has protected me from branches and bugs quite a few times - far more than I've landed
    > on my head (and we take helmets awfully seriously, don't we?).
    >
    > So if you don't have eye protection, get some. They're cheap and effective. If you ride in dark
    > woods (where sunglasses are basically useless), you can get clear or yellow wraparounds from
    > hardware or safety stores. UVEX makes some good ones; there's a dealer directory somewhere on
    > their website (http://www.uvex.com). Personally I prefer yellow; it makes the world look happy.
    > :) Clears are preferable at dusk, though.
    >
    > Don't take your eyes for granted.

    I love my Smiths. For $100 you get three sets of lenses. I'm partial to the yellow at dusk because
    it increases contrast. Orange in anything but bright sun. they have so many models that you can just
    about bet they'll have a pair that fit your face well.

    There are some other companies that make good interchangable lens glasses too. Native is one.

  6. Vaughn

    Vaughn Guest

    "Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Dave W wrote:
    >

    > > So you're happy with your choice of LASIK? I've been contemplating the procedure for about a
    > > year now, and I think I might be ready to give it a go. I'm sick of wearing corrective glasses,
    > > as my ailment has been a issue for the past few years. Before that I had perfect vision, and
    > > didn't have the need for glasses. Now that I've had them for a while, I can honestly say...I
    > > HATE THEM! LASIK sounds like the ticket, and my eye doctor tends to agree.
    >
    > Two years, no regrets. It is among the best things I have ever done.

    Same here, 4 Years..No regrets. I had to have lasik in one eye PRK in the other. But I love it. But
    like Anthony I won't ride without eye protection. I think of the time I crashed and as I'm lying on
    the ground I see a sharp dagger like stick 2 inches from my eye. And the Virginia bugs can be like a
    cloud in the summer. Picking gnats out of your eye ever 5 minutes is no fun. No glasses, no ride.

    Vaughn

  7. El Barista

    El Barista Guest

    Tom Walker wrote:

    > I love my Smiths. For $100 you get three sets of lenses. I'm partial to the yellow at dusk because
    > it increases contrast. Orange in anything but bright sun. they have so many models that you can
    > just about bet they'll have a pair that fit your face well.

    Ditto all that. Although if I was buying now I'd have to give serious consideration to Project
    Rudys. My Smith Voodoo lenses are getting scratched (although not noticeably so while they are
    on my face).

    -will

  8. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "El Barista" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Tom Walker wrote:
    >
    > > I love my Smiths. For $100 you get three sets of lenses. I'm partial to the yellow at dusk
    > > because it increases contrast. Orange in anything but bright sun. they have so many models that
    > > you can just about bet they'll have a pair that fit your face well.
    >
    > Ditto all that. Although if I was buying now I'd have to give serious consideration to Project
    > Rudys. My Smith Voodoo lenses are getting scratched (although not noticeably so while they are on
    > my face).
    >
    > -will

    Thirded. I've got two pairs of sliders, and yes, the lenses do scratch up. My next pair, if I ever
    break the sliders, will probably be from Rudy Project.

    Jon Bond

  9. Superslinky

    Superslinky Guest

    Jon Bond said...

    > Thirded. I've got two pairs of sliders, and yes, the lenses do scratch up. My next pair, if I ever
    > break the sliders, will probably be from Rudy Project.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    You don't use paper towels to clean them do you? They warn against using any kind of wood pulp
    derived material for cleaning. They recommend a soft cotton cloth.

  10. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "SuperSlinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Jon Bond said...
    >
    > > Thirded. I've got two pairs of sliders, and yes, the lenses do scratch
    up.
    > > My next pair, if I ever break the sliders, will probably be from Rudy Project.
    > >
    > > Jon Bond
    >
    > You don't use paper towels to clean them do you? They warn against using any kind of wood pulp
    > derived material for cleaning. They recommend a soft cotton cloth.

    No. mostly got scratched from sand and grit getting into the little tab that holds 'em in at the
    top, and other such usage. However, replacement lenses are pretty cheap. Only reason I'd get some
    Rudy's is because I get sponsored prices on 'em ;)

    Jon Bond

  11. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    I allways wear those shades. In my case its hard to find a pair that fits. If too much air gets in,
    my eyes water. If too little air or none at all they fog up. Ones I can wear any old time I can't
    wear riding so I end up with a collection of them. The newest pair I got for looks and haven't been
    able to try them out riding yet due to the rain. And they can't be too dark because I can't see
    under the jungle canopy.

    Fire up MTB 03

  12. Zilla

    Zilla Guest