PSA: Eye protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bb

Yesterday evening I was zipping down a rough section of fireroad; the handlebars were juddering
like crazy and my whole world was a blur. Next thing I knew a small branch was right in front of my
face, far too sudden to duck. I heard the familiar sound of something hitting plastic, and in a
moment it was over.

It was a good reminder to post something about eye protection. It wasn't something I worried much
about, until several years ago someone on this NG got a stick in the eye - literally. Since then, my
eyewear has protected me from branches and bugs quite a few times - far more than I've landed on my
head (and we take helmets awfully seriously, don't we?).

So if you don't have eye protection, get some. They're cheap and effective. If you ride in dark
woods (where sunglasses are basically useless), you can get clear or yellow wraparounds from
hardware or safety stores. UVEX makes some good ones; there's a dealer directory somewhere on their
website (http://www.uvex.com). Personally I prefer yellow; it makes the world look happy. :) Clears
are preferable at dusk, though.

Don't take your eyes for granted.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

BB wrote:

>
>Don't take your eyes for granted.
>
>
>
It's a silly way to come around to it, but it took a substantial investment in my eyes to get me to
jump on the eye protection proselytizing caravan. I had Lasik, this short process cost as much as a
very decent bike. So now it's eye protection, at all times.

One I wa riding with my old corrective glasses and a branch stuck between the ear piece and my
cheek, bent back and then FLUUUUUUUUNNNNNGGG!!!! my glasses off into the woods. The guys I was
riding with asked if I was ok, and when i said yes, they rolled off. "Wait!! You gotta help me find
my glasses!

I couldn't read the cover of a National Geographic held at arm's length.

A

On Thu, 29 May 2003 11:27:38 -0500, Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>
>BB wrote:
>
>>
>>Don't take your eyes for granted.
>>
>>
>>
>It's a silly way to come around to it, but it took a substantial investment in my eyes to get me to
>jump on the eye protection proselytizing caravan. I had Lasik, this short process cost as much as a
>very decent bike. So now it's eye protection, at all times.
>
>One I wa riding with my old corrective glasses and a branch stuck between the ear piece and my
>cheek, bent back and then FLUUUUUUUUNNNNNGGG!!!! my glasses off into the woods. The guys I was
>riding with asked if I was ok, and when i said yes, they rolled off. "Wait!! You gotta help me find
>my glasses!
>
>I couldn't read the cover of a National Geographic held at arm's length.
>
>A
So you're happy with your choice of LASIK? I've been contemplating the procedure for about a year
now, and I think I might be ready to give it a go. I'm sick of wearing corrective glasses, as my
ailment has been a issue for the past few years. Before that I had perfect vision, and didn't have
the need for glasses. Now that I've had them for a while, I can honestly say...I HATE THEM! LASIK
sounds like the ticket, and my eye doctor tends to agree.

BB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Yesterday evening I was zipping down a rough section of fireroad; the handlebars were juddering
> like crazy and my whole world was a blur. Next thing I knew a small branch was right in front of
> my face, far too sudden to duck. I heard the familiar sound of something hitting plastic, and in a
> moment it was over.
>
> It was a good reminder to post something about eye protection. It wasn't something I worried much
> about, until several years ago someone on this NG got a stick in the eye - literally. Since then,
> my eyewear has protected me from branches and bugs quite a few times - far more than I've landed
> on my head (and we take helmets awfully seriously, don't we?).
>
> So if you don't have eye protection, get some. They're cheap and effective. If you ride in dark
> woods (where sunglasses are basically useless), you can get clear or yellow wraparounds from
> hardware or safety stores. UVEX makes some good ones; there's a dealer directory somewhere on
> their website (http://www.uvex.com). Personally I prefer yellow; it makes the world look happy.
> :) Clears are preferable at dusk, though.
>
> Don't take your eyes for granted.

I love my Smiths. For $100 you get three sets of lenses. I'm partial to the yellow at dusk because
it increases contrast. Orange in anything but bright sun. they have so many models that you can just
about bet they'll have a pair that fit your face well.

There are some other companies that make good interchangable lens glasses too. Native is one.

T

"Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
>
> Dave W wrote:
>
> >
> > So you're happy with your choice of LASIK? I've been contemplating the procedure for about a
> > year now, and I think I might be ready to give it a go. I'm sick of wearing corrective glasses,
> > as my ailment has been a issue for the past few years. Before that I had perfect vision, and
> > didn't have the need for glasses. Now that I've had them for a while, I can honestly say...I
> > HATE THEM! LASIK sounds like the ticket, and my eye doctor tends to agree.
>
> Two years, no regrets. It is among the best things I have ever done.
>
> A

Same here, 4 Years..No regrets. I had to have lasik in one eye PRK in the other. But I love it. But
like Anthony I won't ride without eye protection. I think of the time I crashed and as I'm lying on
the ground I see a sharp dagger like stick 2 inches from my eye. And the Virginia bugs can be like a
cloud in the summer. Picking gnats out of your eye ever 5 minutes is no fun. No glasses, no ride.

Vaughn

Tom Walker wrote:

> I love my Smiths. For $100 you get three sets of lenses. I'm partial to the yellow at dusk because
> it increases contrast. Orange in anything but bright sun. they have so many models that you can
> just about bet they'll have a pair that fit your face well.

Ditto all that. Although if I was buying now I'd have to give serious consideration to Project
Rudys. My Smith Voodoo lenses are getting scratched (although not noticeably so while they are
on my face).

-will

"El Barista" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Tom Walker wrote:
>
> > I love my Smiths. For $100 you get three sets of lenses. I'm partial to the yellow at dusk
> > because it increases contrast. Orange in anything but bright sun. they have so many models that
> > you can just about bet they'll have a pair that fit your face well.
>
> Ditto all that. Although if I was buying now I'd have to give serious consideration to Project
> Rudys. My Smith Voodoo lenses are getting scratched (although not noticeably so while they are on
> my face).
>
> -will

Thirded. I've got two pairs of sliders, and yes, the lenses do scratch up. My next pair, if I ever
break the sliders, will probably be from Rudy Project.

Jon Bond

Jon Bond said...

> Thirded. I've got two pairs of sliders, and yes, the lenses do scratch up. My next pair, if I ever
> break the sliders, will probably be from Rudy Project.
>
> Jon Bond

You don't use paper towels to clean them do you? They warn against using any kind of wood pulp
derived material for cleaning. They recommend a soft cotton cloth.

"SuperSlinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Jon Bond said...
>
> > Thirded. I've got two pairs of sliders, and yes, the lenses do scratch
up.
> > My next pair, if I ever break the sliders, will probably be from Rudy Project.
> >
> > Jon Bond
>
> You don't use paper towels to clean them do you? They warn against using any kind of wood pulp
> derived material for cleaning. They recommend a soft cotton cloth.

No. mostly got scratched from sand and grit getting into the little tab that holds 'em in at the
top, and other such usage. However, replacement lenses are pretty cheap. Only reason I'd get some
Rudy's is because I get sponsored prices on 'em ;)

Jon Bond

I allways wear those shades. In my case its hard to find a pair that fits. If too much air gets in,
my eyes water. If too little air or none at all they fog up. Ones I can wear any old time I can't
wear riding so I end up with a collection of them. The newest pair I got for looks and haven't been
able to try them out riding yet due to the rain. And they can't be too dark because I can't see
under the jungle canopy.

Fire up MTB 03

Have you tried these?

www.sporteyz.com

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

<[email protected]> wrote in message
> I allways wear those shades. In my case its hard to find a pair that fits.
> If too much air gets in, my eyes water. If too little air or none at all
> they fog up. Ones I can wear any old time I can't wear riding so I end up
> with a collection of them. The newest pair I got for looks and haven't been
> able to try them out riding yet due to the rain. And they can't be too dark
> because I can't see under the jungle canopy.
>
> Fire up MTB 03

Status
Not open for further replies.