PSA test accuracy

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Dr. Richard Sil, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Can someone tell me what the accuracy of the PSA test is. I don't mean with regard to predicting
    cancer. I mean the actual accuracy of the test. If I take it today and tomorrow or next week how
    closely will the results correspond?

    Thanks....

    Tags:

  2. J

    J Guest

    "Dr. Richard Silver" wrote:

    > Can someone tell me what the accuracy of the PSA test is. I don't mean with regard to predicting
    > cancer. I mean the actual accuracy of the test. If I take it today and tomorrow or next week how
    > closely will the results correspond?
    >
    > Thanks....

    http://psa-rising.com/detection/index.html PSA may go up and down, or fluctuate. One elevated
    reading does not necessarily justify a biopsy. Researchers at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer
    Hospital (http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/13786.cfm) found "natural variations" in PSA levels.

    Aside from prostate problems, some physical events and procedures can

    biopsy can raise the PSA. The blood test should not be taken soon after orgasm, and should be taken
    before rectal exam or biopsy.[] J

  3. Jg

    Jg Guest

    "Dr. Richard Silver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Can someone tell me what the accuracy of the PSA test is. I don't mean with regard to predicting
    > cancer. I mean the actual accuracy of the test. If I take it today and tomorrow or next week how
    > closely will the results correspond?

    That reliability, not accuracy.