PSA - vic

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by a5hi5m, May 30, 2006.

  1. a5hi5m

    a5hi5m New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2005
    Just a warning, we found a lot of thumb-tacks dropped along/across the outbound bike lane on station st, down near Chelsea.

    Ash

    Tags:

  2. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    Nasty... Sounds like the work of Commodore drivers without helmets who run red lights.

    Had the same thing on the ATB '04.. down near the beach somewhere...

  3. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Via the BV forums, some prick has done likewise down at the Carnegie Velodrome.
    http://www.bv.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1166

  4. Donga

    Donga Guest

    a5hi5m wrote:
    > Just a warning, we found a lot of thumb-tacks dropped along/across the
    > outbound bike lane on station st, down near Chelsea.

    Time to shell out for a gross of nailboards for the car lanes on that
    road.
    ;-)

    Donga

  5. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-05-31, a5hi5m (aka Bruce)
    > Just a warning, we found a lot of thumb-tacks dropped along/across the
    > outbound bike lane on station st, down near Chelsea.

    PSA?

    Puncture Source Advisory?

    --
    TimC
    Some people claim that the UNIX learning curve is steep, but at least you

  6. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:

    > a5hi5m Wrote:
    > > Just a warning, we found a lot of thumb-tacks dropped along/across the
    > > outbound bike lane on station st, down near Chelsea.
    > >
    > > Ash

    > Via the BV forums, some prick has done likewise down at the Carnegie
    > Velodrome.
    > http://www.bv.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1166

    That is so sh!t.

    I mean, I get annoyed when people break beer bottles in bike lanes and
    on off-road bike paths. Mostly because it's stupid. Chances are it's
    done by people who want cyclists out of their way. Driving the off the
    bike paths and out of the bike lanes is not going to have that effect.

    But that's just crap. I hope whoever did it loses their reproductive
    organs before it's too late.
    Tam

  7. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    a5hi5m wrote:
    > Just a warning, we found a lot of thumb-tacks dropped along/across the
    > outbound bike lane on station st, down near Chelsea.
    >
    > Ash

    Just don't take them out. Over 50km was done with this thumb tack in
    this tyre was re-inserted after initially being removed

    http://svana.org/photos/ade2006/websize/img_1915.jpg

    No jiggery pokery such as slime or Stan's involved

    Parbs

  8. a5hi5m

    a5hi5m New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2005
    Yeah, I managed to somehow avoid getting stuck, one of the guys picked up 3 however (2f, 1r) and knocked one out before realising what it was. Changed the front tyre, but left the rear as was, and managed another 20km or so before it came out.

    Kind of a good reason not to wipe your tyres clean after riding throught what you suspect is glass.

    Ash

  9. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > cfsmtb wrote:
    > >
    > > a5hi5m Wrote:
    > > > Just a warning, we found a lot of thumb-tacks dropped along/across the
    > > > outbound bike lane on station st, down near Chelsea.
    > > >
    > > > Ash

    > > Via the BV forums, some prick has done likewise down at the Carnegie
    > > Velodrome.
    > > http://www.bv.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1166

    > That is so sh!t.
    >
    > I mean, I get annoyed when people break beer bottles in bike lanes and
    > on off-road bike paths. Mostly because it's stupid. Chances are it's
    > done by people who want cyclists out of their way. Driving the off the
    > bike paths and out of the bike lanes is not going to have that effect.

    Chances are it's just kids being vandals who thought it was funny.

  10. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    In a similar vein I found a 100mm square gangnail, pointy side up on High Street today just heading up the hill towards Harp Road. It was only about a foot out from the gutter so it wasn't about to affect me but it could have caught someone hiding in the gutter.

  11. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Several years ago I copped a puncture that partially deflated and then strangely 'self sealed' before much tube pressure was released. A bigger problem emerged when I got home, went to repair the puncture, and found a self tapping screw that had got at least 3 turns into the rim. So far that was the only time I've had to use a phillips head screwdriver to repair a puncture ...! :eek:

  12. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    I thought the correct tool for a self-tapping screw was a claw hammer.