psycho roommate?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by johnnyWalker, Nov 7, 2003.

1. johnnyWalker

johnnyWalker New Member

I think my roommate may have sliced my tire. There's a cut going from the top left all the way around to the rim. It goes about halfway through the rbber. Has anyone who has riden for many years heard of a cut like this happening from just riding? or do I have some butt-kicking to do?

Tags:

2. ireman_1

ireman_1 New Member

First, if you are NOT sure if you should mash on your roommate then you should just go for it and work under the belief they deserved it (just to cover all the bases you know).

Second, "half-way" through the tire? Didn't punture the tube and all? What is the tire? I've had some Michelins and an "old" Klein Deathgrip tire split kinda wildly before. That's been a while ago though. Been riding in really cold or urban settings lately? I just remembered I "cut" a tire on a cruiser a year or so ago riding over some rail road tracks and their was a burr or something on the rail or tie.

Good luck beating the truth out of your roomie! ;)

K.

3. johnnyWalker

johnnyWalker New Member

The tire is a mitchellin. I'm out in Texas, the weather's pritty mild, but i do have to go over some tracks to get out to the hills.

4. meb

meb New Member

Many times. Going over bumps such as curbs, potholes, can cause the sidewall to split.

More recently, I'm near a lot of metal mounted speed bumps. I try to squeeze between the speedbump and curb, but clip the speedbump with my rear sidewall often. I wear rear tires out at the sidewall nowdays.

If a sharp object did it, the edges will be crisper and more uniform. Maybe a magnifying glass will show enough detail.

5. lumpy

lumpy New Member

I've had tires split like that - usually glass I think causing it.

Good luck,
    Tim

6. trekrider4315

trekrider4315 New Member

Open up a can of whoop just in case man. Never seen anything like that.However I did hit an interesting piece of glass that wedged itself in the rubber and when I rode(didn't notice during the ride) it seemed to work its way back a bit. That was a new tire to buy.Such a waste of good money.

7. Feanor

Feanor New Member

Is your roomate your girlfriend? Did she tip her hand saying things like "I hate that bike! that bike is more important than me!!!" or "Why don't you go sleep with your bike then!!!!" or the ultimate clincher "You love your bike more than you love me!"

If any of those is the case its pretty cut and dry... :) Though there is still SOME doubt as your bike was only slashed and not crushed under the wheels of her car...

8. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

if it´s a road tyre and Michelin then I´ve lost a couple from large cuts , 1,5 + cm to the shoulder / side wall from glass , metal etc .

A f(r)iend would , I´m sure , be more subtle and puncture in an inconvienient and delayed manner .

9. drewski

drewski New Member

from my experience michelins get cuts in the treads pretty easily.

but put the hurt on your roomie, just for ha-ha's!