psychos

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Ray Peace, Aug 27, 2003.

  1. Ray Peace

    Ray Peace Guest

    Greetings, Have survived yet another encounter with a motorised
    psycho yesterday afternoon, I will out this one on the net and see what happens. The turd in
    question was the driver of DJY-997, the male (early 20s, P for Pillock Plates, naturally) driver
    of a white 1988 Honda Civic sedan

    me off. The police (Camberwell), needless to say, don't give a shit, the usual Your Word Against
    His, except I'm the one that gets killed. I don't recommend kicking his panels in if you happen to
    see him, but I certainly felt like it, perhaps advise him politely that his moronic motoring is now
    public domain. Regards, Ray

    Tags:

  2. Stuart Verrier

    Stuart Verrier New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2003
    I prefer the kick in the panels option. I had a similar experience on the weekend. the only problem for the driver was I was riding in a group of 45 riders. We caught him at the next red lights. His saturday afternoon would have been spent cleaning off the array of sticky sports and caffine drinks from the duco. Oh the justice.

  3. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Ray Peace" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I don't recommend kicking his panels in if you happen to see him, but
    > certainly felt like it, perhaps advise him politely that his moronic motoring is now
    > public domain.

    I have a list of license plates for similar offenders.. maybe we should start a site with them
    listed or is that defammation or something?

    hippy

  4. Paul J

    Paul J New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    >I have a list of license plates for similar offenders.. maybe we should start a site with them
    >listed or is that defammation or something?

    This has been a long time coming. People should be outed publically for poor behaviour in public. Driving by it's nature is very public and if ever there was anywhere that a police state was required it is on the roads. Anyone who thinks that their civil liberties are being infringed upon when they are out on the road should probably pull their head in and stay at home.

    Even better is when a company car emblazened with advertising is spotted driven by moron. Then you can spread the word about the company and make sure they suffer through lack of business.

  5. Stuart Verrier

    Stuart Verrier New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2003
    It would be a long long list of number plates but I like the idea that if the car has any company advertising on it let us all know!

    One ettiquette issue I have always struggled to come to grips with is how people perceive riders "carefully" running red lights. I know I meander through them down on beach street in the early morning but by doing that I question the right I have to blast drivers when they do the wrong thing. There seems to be a split amoungst the riding community as to what is accepted and what isn't. Last weekend our group of 45 was split into two or three groups due to the various attitudes amoungst us and it never regained its momentum.

    Any thoughts?

  6. carma1

    carma1 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2003
    Know where you are coming from.
    Why don't the hosts of this forum create an area dedicated to the abolition of d.i.p.s.h.i.t. "P" platers, or anyone else for that matter, that has no idea about driving safely around cyclists. It should be called the SHAME FILE...
    Lets band together and publicly disgrace these fools, I know that one of the boating forums i go to they have something along the same lines, as does a 4WD site. They both openly list rego' numbers...................

  7. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "carma1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Know where you are coming from. Why don't the hosts of this forum
    create
    > an area dedicated to the abolition of d.i.p.s.h.i.t. "P" platers, or anyone else for that matter,
    > that has no idea about driving safely around cyclists. It should be called the SHAME FILE... Lets
    > band together and publicly disgrace these fools, I know that one of the boating forums i go to
    > they have something along the same lines, as
    does
    > a 4WD site. They both openly list rego' numbers...................

    Gee, I'd been thinking about this for ages... I didn't think there would be others so much in favour
    of it! I started collecting licence plate numbers and noting details of what drivers actually did a
    while ago, so that when I got 'enough' I could put them all on a website somewhere with a nice
    message to them all... I'm still a bit paranoid about the legality of it though...hmm... "hosted
    internationally officer.. i can't do a thing about it"

    hippy

  8. Jose Rizal

    Jose Rizal Guest

    Paul J:

    > >I have a list of license plates for similar offenders.. maybe we should start a site with them
    > >listed or is that defammation or something?
    >
    > This has been a long time coming. People should be outed publically for poor behaviour in public.
    > Driving by it's nature is very public and if ever there was anywhere that a police state was
    > required it is on the roads. Anyone who thinks that their civil liberties are being infringed upon
    > when they are out on the road should probably pull their head in and stay at home.
    >
    > Even better is when a company car emblazened with advertising is spotted driven by moron. Then you
    > can spread the word about the company and make sure they suffer through lack of business.

    The biggest problem with this idea is how to ensure that it is not abused. How will you decide
    whether someone's complaint of a driver is true or not? How will you determine whether someone has
    exaggerated a situation, or unfairly blames someone else for his/her own mistake?

    Not easily nor practically achievable, that's for sure.

  9. Jose Rizal

    Jose Rizal Guest

    hippy:

    > Gee, I'd been thinking about this for ages... I didn't think there would be others so much in
    > favour of it! I started collecting licence plate numbers and noting details of what drivers
    > actually did a while ago, so that when I got 'enough' I could put them all on a website somewhere
    > with a nice message to them all... I'm still a bit paranoid about the legality of it
    > though...hmm... "hosted internationally officer.. i can't do a thing about it"

    Nor is it fair. Without casting judgement on the veracity of your complaints, the fact is readers
    will only have your side of the story and your word on the matter. You can see that the potential
    for someone being malicious is great; who determines (and how) whether the accusation of bad
    behaviour on another is fair or not?

  10. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Jose Rizal" <[email protected]_._> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I started collecting licence plate numbers and noting details of what drivers actually did a
    > > while ago, so that when I got 'enough' I could put them all on a website somewhere with a nice
    > > message to them all...
    >
    > Nor is it fair. Without casting judgement on the veracity of your complaints, the fact is
    > readers will only have your side of the story and your word on the matter. You can see that the
    > potential for
    someone
    > being malicious is great; who determines (and how) whether the accusation of bad behaviour on
    > another is fair or not?

    But don't a lot of websites only have the author's side of the story? Don't a lot of books?
    Obviously I can see what you are saying and I agree with you to a certain degree - that's half the
    reason I've not made the site - but isn't it actually within my rights to do so? It's not actually
    identifying the driver and it seems like a nice way to vent... I'll wait and see what happens :) I
    still don't see why rocket-propelled grenades are not fitted as standard equipment to bikes...is is
    manufacturing costs? What?

    hippy peace? nah... pieces!! :)

  11. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Ahhh, here's a fresh one for your collection.

    4.01pm, Thursday arvo, August 28th 2003
    Ped light crossing, Lennox & Bridge Road, Richmond. Peds have green light on Lennox, small silver plastic bubble car, rego number SIB 003, turns out of Bridge, speeding, almost collects several people walking across road. PBC unfortunately too nimble for me to get model details, or give it a playful slap with one's steel capped Blunnies.:mad: grrrrrrrrr.......

  12. Trevor S

    Trevor S Guest

    Jose Rizal <[email protected]_._> wrote in news:eVf3b.19206$8i2.4565 @newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    <snip>

    > The biggest problem with this idea is how to ensure that it is not abused. How will you decide
    > whether someone's complaint of a driver is true or not? How will you determine whether someone has
    > exaggerated a situation, or unfairly blames someone else for his/her own mistake?
    >
    > Not easily nor practically achievable, that's for sure.

    Coincidentally I have been thinking about this very topic for quite some time :) Your point is the
    main problem I forsaw (aside from any legal ramification). The only way I saw past it was to only
    allow people you know and trust to send you the information for you to post on the site. By myslef I
    can probably get 3 - 5 a day, ranging from the stupid to the downright dangerous, with 5 "trusted"
    friends, that's whole lota number plates in a short time.

    Another point, a photo would be good to document the plate, in case of the human error problem of
    remembering a plate incorrectly. This would prove difficult as the moment has often passed to allow
    this sort of documentation and of course the times the most dangeroous events occur is when you are
    sans camera :) Perhps when camera quality improves in mobile phones and they become more ubiqutious
    (phone cameras not phones), not having the camer might not be as big a problem :)

    --
    Trevor S

    "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." -Albert Einstein

  13. Arpit

    Arpit Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:11:48 +1000, Ray Peace <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Greetings, Have survived yet another encounter with a motorised
    >psycho yesterday afternoon, I will out this one on the net and see what happens. The turd in
    > question was the driver of DJY-997, the male (early 20s, P for Pillock Plates, naturally) driver
    > of a white 1988 Honda Civic sedan

    >me off. The police (Camberwell), needless to say, don't give a shit, the usual Your Word Against
    >His, except I'm the one that gets killed. I don't recommend kicking his panels in if you happen
    >to see him,

    Hmm, i hadnt thought of that, but now, when i see his car...... ;)

    >but I certainly felt like it, perhaps advise him politely that his moronic motoring is now public
    >domain. Regards, Ray

  14. Jose Rizal

    Jose Rizal Guest

    hippy:

    > "Jose Rizal" <[email protected]_._> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I started collecting licence plate numbers and noting details of what drivers actually did a
    > > > while ago, so that when I got 'enough' I could put them all on a website somewhere with a nice
    > > > message to them all...
    > >
    > > Nor is it fair. Without casting judgement on the veracity of your complaints, the fact is
    > > readers will only have your side of the story and your word on the matter. You can see that the
    > > potential for
    > someone
    > > being malicious is great; who determines (and how) whether the accusation of bad behaviour on
    > > another is fair or not?
    >
    > But don't a lot of websites only have the author's side of the story? Don't a lot of books?

    The difference is that these have identifiable ownership, that is, book authors are not anonymous,
    website authors can be traced, and the accusations there are attributable and verifiable to an
    extent. Anonymous contributions of complaints can't be checked for veracity.

    > Obviously I can see what you are saying and I agree with you to a certain degree - that's half the
    > reason I've not made the site - but isn't it actually within my rights to do so?

    Only if you do it in a verifiable way, I would think. Otherwise, your right to swing your arms ends
    at the tip of someone else's nose.

    > It's not actually identifying the driver and it seems like a nice way to vent... I'll wait and see
    > what happens :)

    I think license plates can identify drivers. If not by name, then certainly by sight; the biggest
    problem is that the accused wouldn't be able to defend him/herself easily. The Internet can be a
    powerful weapon, but it needs to be handled responsibly.

    > I still don't see why rocket-propelled grenades are not fitted as standard equipment to bikes...is
    > is manufacturing costs? What?

    Too much collateral damage.

  15. Jose Rizal

    Jose Rizal Guest

    Trevor S:

    > Jose Rizal <[email protected]_._> wrote in news:eVf3b.19206$8i2.4565 @newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:
    >
    > <snip>
    >

    > > The biggest problem with this idea is how to ensure that it is not abused. How will you decide
    > > whether someone's complaint of a driver is true or not? How will you determine whether someone
    > > has exaggerated a situation, or unfairly blames someone else for his/her own mistake?
    > >
    > > Not easily nor practically achievable, that's for sure.
    >
    > Coincidentally I have been thinking about this very topic for quite some time :) Your point is the
    > main problem I forsaw (aside from any legal ramification). The only way I saw past it was to only
    > allow people you know and trust to send you the information for you to post on the site. By myslef
    > I can probably get 3 - 5 a day, ranging from the stupid to the downright dangerous, with 5
    > "trusted" friends, that's whole lota number plates in a short time.

    Having the contributors to such a website truly identified will discourage maliciousness to a great
    extent. However, it's still one's word against another, except that the other doesn't have an easy
    way to refute the accusation unless it's allowed for on the site. It can then become an argument
    forum; will its function exist when that happens?

  16. Zig

    Zig Guest

    Ray

    If you have no satisfaction at your cop shop contact the bicycle cops directly. They will always
    help out a fellow rider and they take these reports seriously. Russell Lindsay Melbourne Bicycle
    Patrol Ph.9247 5517

    Rgds Zig

    Ray Peace wrote:

    > Greetings, Have survived yet another encounter with a motorised
    > psycho yesterday afternoon, I will out this one on the net and see what happens. The turd in
    > question was the driver of DJY-997, the male (early 20s, P for Pillock Plates, naturally) driver
    > of a white 1988 Honda Civic sedan

    > me off. The police (Camberwell), needless to say, don't give a shit, the usual Your Word Against
    > His, except I'm the one that gets killed. I don't recommend kicking his panels in if you happen to
    > see him, but I certainly felt like it, perhaps advise him politely that his moronic motoring is
    > now public domain. Regards, Ray

  17. I think the only way you can do something like what you are proposing is publish a list of drivers
    who have been *convicted* in a court of law. We all know that this is a very small percentage of
    offenders, but people also have a right to a fair trial before being smeared. There is a website (I
    think crimenet.com or similar) that allows fee paying subscribers to check if an individual is on
    the public record for being convicted of an offence (such as larceny etc).

    - Luther
    (v. tired, sorry for poor grammar)

  18. Drs

    Drs Guest

    Stuart Verrier <[email protected]> wrote in message [email protected]

    [...]

    > One ettiquette issue I have always struggled to come to grips with is how people perceive riders
    > "carefully" running red lights. I know I meander through them down on beach street in the early
    > morning but by doing that I question the right I have to blast drivers when they do the wrong
    > thing. There seems to be a split amoungst the riding community as to what is accepted and what
    > isn't. Last weekend our group of 45 was split into two or three groups due to the various
    > attitudes amoungst us and it never regained its momentum.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    It's illegal, full stop. Etiquette doesn't come into it.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  19. Paul J

    Paul J New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    Once again. The real solution to our problems is a police state on the roads. Then we wouldn't need to personally attack people for their stupidity. Fear of being caught (again and again and again and......) would surely wake them up.

  20. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Luther Blissett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm still a bit paranoid about the legality of it though...hmm... "hosted internationally
    > > officer.. i can't do a thing about it"
    >
    > Under Australian defamation laws if somebody in Australia can read something defamatory on the
    > internet that you have posted then the defamed party can sue you, regardless of where it is
    > hosted. The
    recent
    > defo case with Joe Gutnick brought this into the light.

    Scratch that russian hosting then...doh! ;-)

    hippy