Pt Elite + 705 very slow to zero when coasting

Seaeagle

Sep 12, 2010
Hi all,
I have a 8 month old PT eilte paired with a 705 and all has been working well until six weeks ago. At that time any increase in wattage via the 705 appeared very sluggish and the watts would not automatically drop to zero when i coasted ( eg not pedalling) instead they would count down by one or twos from the highest recorded wattage. Changed the batteries in the hub, no change, sent the hub back to the UK via warranty, ? torque tube has been replaced. Took it out for a spin today and the unit seemed to be overestimating wattage and is still sluggish in returing to zero when coasting ( not as bad as before, it may go from say 250,200,30 then 0). When the unit was new I do remember that as soon as you stopped pedalling the unit resorted to zero. I have callibrated the unit before each ride. Does anyone have any ideas, i loath the idea of having to send the hub back

many thanks

Check the settings in the CPU to see if you have the display set to average the power over a few seconds (like many people do). That would create the symptom you describe, but would not necessarily be a problem with the hub/unit.

Another thing to try is to download the power file to a computer and see if the power trace drops immediately when pedalling stops or glides down as you describe. If it glides down then it might be that the *recording* interval has been set to several seconds as opposed to the *display* interval.

Edit: Oops.... just noticed that you are using the 705 for display. Do you have a similar issue when you use the PT CPU? I don't know anything about the 705 other than to suggest you check the averaging/display settings.

On the 705 you can display "power" or "Avg PWR 3s" or "Avg PWR 30"

If you are displaying an average instead of power itself it will take some time to wind down to 0. It`s normal.