PT Hub and Shimano Wheel

Biker Joe

Nov 6, 2007
Can someone tell me if there would be any issue lacing a Powertap 2.4 Hub to a DuraAce Wheel? I have a DuraAce 7801 Carbon with 20 spokes.

Also, anyone know who would be a good wheel builder to sent the wheel to?

Thanks

Biker Joe said:
Can someone tell me if there would be any issue lacing a Powertap 2.4 Hub to a DuraAce Wheel? I have a DuraAce 7801 Carbon with 20 spokes.

Thanks
Does PT even make a 20 hole hub? You could always sell the DA wheel and buy a wired PT SL built wheel that would be more suitable for training and racing.

They do make one with a 20 spoke drilling. If you have the 50mm shimano carbon rims I believe they would work, I don't think those are paired spoke wheel are they, like a rolf or bontrager?

If you find someone who can build it, they will know for sure. Look at wheelbuilder.com or prowheelbuilder, assuming you are in the US or willing to ship there.

Biker Joe said:

Thanks
Looks to me like they use a proprietary spoking system with the nipple at the hub. Don't see how you could make a PT hub work. - TF

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/actionsports/WH/EV-WH-7801-R-2516_v1_m56577569830608638.pdf

Depending on how the rim is made though that doesn't mean it couldn't be laced up the other way necessarily. All that most rims have there is a hole/eyelet anyway.

Anyone who is qualified to drop a powertap hub into that or any other rim should be able to tell right away. But without one like that in my hands, it could be an issue...