PT installation

peterpen

Jul 29, 2003
Anybody see problems with putting the PT SL transmitter on the chainstay vs. the seatstay (as shown in this pic http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=photos/2005/tech/news/dec09/hn_newbike14 ) ? Seems like a nice clean way to do it, since i have to run the cadence wire down there anyway.
Also, how reliable are those clear plastic stickers for holding down the wires? Used the zip ties on my first bike but considering them for the second.

I think it will work in either location, but there are two important installation tips. First, put something spongy between the stay the receiver, to dampen the vibration. Second, use double sided tape or some other technique to ensure that the receiver doesn't rotate on the stay. It is important that the receiver remains parallel to the hub centerline. Personally, I followed the suggestion and mounted my receiver on my seatstay, but I know others have had equal success with the receiver mounted on the chainstay. Of course, before long we won't have to mount a receiver at all.:D

just recently mounted up my PT-SL and did the clean up installation last week.

Kept the receiver on the seat stay, but carefully looped the wire over, and is held in place with the zip ties holding the sensor to the stay, and runs down to and under the chain stay to pair up with the cadence sensor.

I stole the idea of mounting a magnet in the recess of the pedal axel to get rid of the strap on the crank arm. This was a major improvement in looks! and works perfectly. I used one of several standard wheel magnets I have laying about. I used my dremel to trim off the the piece that normally holds the magnet to the spoke, and then carefully went around and got the entire housing off the magnet, and then beveled the edge of the magnet for a perfect fit into my speedpaly X2. For the final touch I added a few drops of epoxy.

The wires are now paired from the cadence sensor forward, and run under the down tube, on up, and I have wrapped them around the brake housing. All in all most signs of wires and stuff aren't "in your face" and looks way better than the original way I had it with zip ties on everything and wires running everywhere.

As for the clear plastic tape thingies. I used them with my Flightdeck, and they worked pretty good. Your bike needs to be perfectly clean before you even thing about using them, then if you can use a toothpick or something to help press the sticker all the way to the wire, up over and around, and back to the paint so there is no gaps (open air space) on either side of the wire. That'll help to keep grit, and water away from the tacky side and help to keep discoloration away longer. Where I had 100% contact on a clean surface, the sticker has lasted 5 years, and 30,000 some odd miles. Where the sticker had airspace, it either discolored, or discolored and peeled.

I did not use any sticker things for the PT install

Ride on

HR

Back when I was using a PT (i.e., 1999-2002) I always put the receiver on the chainstay.