PT readings way off. Am I missing something?

Stelvio1925

Aug 5, 2007
I'm at a loss why my PT SL 2.4 readings will randomly fly off the scale in the middle of the ride. Obviously not because of my paltry poweroutput, lol. This PT unit I bought as a back-up last fall, has less than 400 mi on it, never rode it in the rain. I've installed new batteries in the hub & cpu, but the problem recurrs. It's happened both in cool weather (<50F) and warmer weather(>70F). I'm able to zero torque at the start of every ride, but after the readings go haywire, torque would not go below 500watts even when coasting. Is it time to send it back to Saris?
powertapridefile01.jpg

I got a new SL+ in January. It worked beautifully until about a month ago. Suddenly, I began to get readings similar to yours. I started a time trial and was pleased that I was putting out 600 watts at first. I often see readings like that at the beginning of an effort. This time, though, the 500-600 watt readings continued.This was so disconcerting that I stopped and recalibrated the meter. For the remainder of the ride, the readings looked normal. I thought then that the only cost was a time trial that took longer than it should have. Obviously, I wasn't taking this time trial too seriously.
The next day, I noticed that my average wattage was declining in the middle of a ride. When I checked the current output, I saw that I was putting out zero watts. I knew I was stronger than that so once again, I stopped, recalibrated and seemed to be getting good readings again. It has been that way ever since. Zero watts for a while then a segment where I get 500+ watts. I've changed batteries so it isn't a battery problem.
I plan to contact Saris tomorrow. Meanwhile, keep us informed on anything you learn about your PT.
Van