PT SL -- A Saris Warantee tale

EpicriderGMAC

Dec 12, 2005
A warantee story from the land of Saris Cycling Group:

I realized this past week that my PT SL was not working properly. I was getting torque readings that were VERY high, and my computer kept droping signals. After changing batteries and getting no better results, I dropped by Saris here in Wisconsin to drop off my wheel for warantee service.

Last Friday, I was greeted with a locked door. Saris was closed for the week, and I had to wait until this week to turn in my wheel.

Fast forward to this Monday. I drop of my wheel at 3pm at Saris after calling earlier that day to inform them that I needed service on my wheel. The customer service rep says that she'll try to speed up the process of repair as much as possible so I can have the wheel for a race next weekend, but there are no promises made.

Tuesday morning--Saris calls and tells me my PT SL is repaired and can be picked up at any time. Who-ho! However, they had to replace ALL the internals of the hub, including the strain gauge, freehub body, bearings, cones, hub cap, and battery pack due to "a bit of moisture in the hub".

Needless to say, a 18 hr turn around time is pretty sweet. Great job Saris.

On the other hand, why did my entire hub need replacing after 2 months of use? Will this happen again next year during the winter, and will I get charged for it because the hub is no longer under warantee?

N=1
I have extra PowerTap wheel (have good tires on one for racing ordinarily and tough tires for training) so when they need to be serviced I always have another. Still cost less than one Ergomo/SRM.

Woofer said:
N=1
I have extra PowerTap wheel (have good tires on one for racing ordinarily and tough tires for training) so when they need to be serviced I always have another. Still cost less than one Ergomo/SRM.
I'm going the same route. I haven't bought my 2nd SL hub yet because I'm hoping they introduce the 2.4 Ghz version before I need it for the racing season. If they don't introduce the 2.4 Ghz hub in time, I'll get a standard SL.

RapDaddyo said:
I'm going the same route. I haven't bought my 2nd SL hub yet because I'm hoping they introduce the 2.4 Ghz version before I need it for the racing season. If they don't introduce the 2.4 Ghz hub in time, I'll get a standard SL.
It is racing season in Texas for at least the last 3 weekends and for the future! I have my PT SL which was a "Wheelhouse/DT built rim". My LBS mounted to the rear chain stay based on their experience via the downtube. I'll see if it transmits properly.

One question, no one likes the standard software? Is everyone on CP???

h8rain said:
My LBS mounted to the rear chain stay based on their experience via the downtube. I'll see if it transmits properly.
If you have any dropout problems, try this installation http://www.cyclingforums.com/showpost.php?p=2556738&postcount=13.

h8rain said:
One question, no one likes the standard software? Is everyone on CP???
I've never even installed the PT software. CP has a lot of features such as NP, IF, TSS, calculated automatically. I think it really comes down to whether you value Andy C's concepts (I do). Those concepts are now (and in the future) embedded in CP. Saris has their own guru, so you won't be seeing Andy's TMed concepts in their software. After I looked at their guru's analysis of variable power pacing, and after I picked myself up off the floor from laughing too hard, I made my choice -- I'll take Andy.