Power meters · Public discussion

PT SL in the cold weather

Started by grv · · Last activity · 2 posts · 720 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Power meters
Published
15 August 2006
Last activity
19 August 2006
Original author
grv
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
720
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Cold weather will be upon us in the northeastern US before we know it, and I am headed into my first winter with my PT SL. I know Saris says 30 degrees F is the low end of operation for the PT, and I found this in the forums:

    palewin said:

    With Spring coming, my experience may be "moot" but the hub batteries seem to last way less than the "advertised" 250 hours in cold weather. In NJ winter (temps 20-35F) they fail completely below 25F (no surprise, they just can't generate enough juice at that temperature, and Saris suggests 30F as a low-end threshold) but I was going through a set of hub batteries in about one month (~40-50 hours). Hopefully in warmer weather I'll be closer to the Saris numbers. My cpu batteries seem to last longer than advertised (they say 100 hours, I've been changing them around 120 'just to be safe'😉.

    Anybody else have experience with what to expect from the PT in the winter time? Aside from sucking down batteries, can I hurt this thing by riding it in the cold?

    Thanks.

  2. I've ridden in the cold and Noah's ark rain with mine - and it hasn't skipped a beat. I did put a very light coating of pedro's grease on the threads of the cap, and that seems to have been able to keep all water out.

    Just zero the unit out once the PT has reached outside temp, to do that I set the bike outside then finish getting ready, so when I'm ready the bike is pretty well "normalized" and is ready to be zero'd out.

    HR

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.