PT SL2.4 Problems

I've done some Google search on terms like "traffic lights", "2.4GHz" and so on, and found that an increasing number of cities worldwide are deploying 802.11 mesh networks for public safety and traffic control purposes. To implement these mesh networks, things like traffic lights and street lamp posts are equipped with a Wi-Fi AP that transmits 2.4GHz radio signals.

ANT site does not specifically mention coexistence with 802.11 or other communication technologies that operate on the same ISM band, so...

Does any SL2.4 user have a laptop with 802.11b or 802.11g? If so, what happens if you bring your laptop with Wi-Fi enabled near your bike? Does it cause any data dropouts?

BTW, 802.11a operates on a different band (5GHz) and shouldn't interfere with ANT. So if your laptop does only the .11a, don't bother with the experiment above.

Ken

oh yeasand to update on other question. Just rode 3hrs of my workout in the rain.

PT 2.4 works perfectly.

giannip said:
I have wireless ADSL access (2.4GHz).

It has no effect.
Ok, thanks. So my hypothesis about Wi-Fi interfering with SL2.4 doesn't seem to hold... Oh well.

Ken

I seem to get drops after the head unit looses the HR signal temporarily from being away from the bike, even briefly.

No strap no problem or No temp HR signal lose no problem even at 18 degrees F.

jetnjeff said:
I seem to get drops after the head unit looses the HR signal temporarily from being away from the bike, even briefly.

No strap no problem or No temp HR signal lose no problem even at 18 degrees F.
Is that just the HR you have problems with?
I found the same issue with HR if you go out of range the cpu loses the signal and you have to use the FIND feature.
But like most people here the HR strap sits in my sock draw;)

DesFlurane said:
Is that just the HR you have problems with?
I found the same issue with HR if you go out of range the cpu loses the signal and you have to use the FIND feature.
But like most people here the HR strap sits in my sock draw;)
I loose HR and power.

After an initial HR signal lose, the CPU seems to go into random find on it's own some times for a minute. I tried a different CPU with one one in my pocket and got the same thing with a slight timing difference and maybe one a positional aspect. When it reads it read both or neither.

If I do the find manually after this it sometimes seems to find faster but does not prevent further "auto finds"

Out of curiosity are any of you 2.4 users using the optional "real-time" cadence sensor or the hub caculated sensor?

I have the wired SL version and use the wired cadence - is there much of a difference between the real and the hub calculated cadence?

thanks
******* EDIT *********

I should have done a search, at least a search with the correct search words. It looks like there is already a thread regarding this topic. My bad.

cPritch67 said:
I have the wired SL version and use the wired cadence - is there much of a difference between the real and the hub calculated cadence?
For me, using "Hub" cadence always produced random spikes in my file, leading to inflated average cadence values. That's why I finally installed the wired cadence sensor.

In case you wanted to see the difference, here it is (not the same ride, but you get the idea)...

Uhl said:
For me, using "Hub" cadence always produced random spikes in my file, leading to inflated average cadence values. That's why I finally installeld the wired cadence sensor.

In case you wanted to see the difference, here it is (not the same rides, but you get the idea)...

Hard to dispute that data. Thanks!

I am having another problem with my PT 2.4 SL. I bought mine in 2006. This week I bought a Garmin 500, and I cannot get the PT to link to it. Garmin's instructional video says that older PTs may need an upgrade to link to the Garmin. I've emailed Cycle Ops, but I won't hear from them for a few days. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? And yes, I've had drop-outs too. I thought they were due to the old computer I've been using.