PT SL2.4 Update

RapDaddyo

May 17, 2005
FWIW, I chatted today with a guy who has been riding the PT SL2.4 for a year (pre-production version). He said that there were problems in two areas with the original models: (1) moisture problems in the hub and (2) weak hub transmitter. He said that both problems have been fixed in subsequent refinements (better hub seal and stronger transmitter). They apparently had a few quality problems with the original production run and they are not shipping them. He said he expects production units to be available in November. He thinks the production units will be rock solid given the way they are doing the testing.

Hummmm......moisture problem in the hub... that's something new. :rolleyes::D The hub has to withstand 5 hours of training/racing in the rain and wet road.

[

QUOTE=RapDaddyo]FWIW, I chatted today with a guy who has been riding the PT SL2.4 for a year (pre-production version). He said that there were problems in two areas with the original models: (1) moisture problems in the hub and (2) weak hub transmitter. He said that both problems have been fixed in subsequent refinements (better hub seal and stronger transmitter). They apparently had a few quality problems with the original production run and they are not shipping them. He said he expects production units to be available in November. He thinks the production units will be rock solid given the way they are doing the testing.[/QUOTE]

BlueJersey said:
Hummmm......moisture problem in the hub... that's something new. :rolleyes::D The hub has to withstand 5 hours of training/racing in the rain and wet road.
Yeah, the hub seal seems to be the chronic problem with the PT systems. Hopefully, they have it figured out now. I plan to talk with the Saris folks about this problem at Interbike. Specifically, I want to know why they think they have solved the problem now (testing protocol, etc.). If I learn anything of substance, I'll post it.

RapDaddyo said:
Yeah, the hub seal seems to be the chronic problem with the PT systems. Hopefully, they have it figured out now. I plan to talk with the Saris folks about this problem at Interbike. Specifically, I want to know why they think they have solved the problem now (testing protocol, etc.). If I learn anything of substance, I'll post it.

Have you looked inside a hub that has the new design? (ie built or rebuilt after June of this year) Everything is completely sealed off except for the batteries.

As for testing protocol, I heard (I think on this forum) that one 'tester' rode around a parking lot while another sprayed a garden hose directly at the hub. Oh wait, that was for the first version of the SL. :rolleyes:

Do they have a HR receiver upgrade in a new head unit planned? Pleeeeeeze?

Spunout said:
Do they have a HR receiver upgrade in a new head unit planned? Pleeeeeeze?
Has to be a new receiver. The HR receiver in the SL2.4 is coded.

RapDaddyo said:
I plan to talk with the Saris folks about this problem at Interbike. Specifically, I want to know why they think they have solved the problem now (testing protocol, etc.). If I learn anything of substance, I'll post it.
ask them about disk wheels too:D