PT Upload help

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by BillM, Sep 2, 2006.

1. BillM

BillM New Member

First night with Powertap. Using WKO trial version...went for an hour or so ride tonight and trying to upload data.

I put the unit in the cradle and connect to computer....it says HOST on PT unit. Hit download on the software and it says starting and then either gives a timeout error or says cancel button was pressed during download but I am not pressing any buttons.

Any ideas.....it worked perfectly last night after a 10 minute test ride.

Tags:

2. SolarEnergy

SolarEnergy New Member

That sounds like a software driver issue.

Which USD driver did you installed on your computer? The one supplied with Powertap's CD ?

3. BillM

BillM New Member

I figured it out. I rebooted with the PT plugged in and it downloaded fine.

Another question...I am picking up a cadence reading on the PT file despite not having the cadence sensor installed? What up wid dat?

4. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

PT has option to supply cadence readings from either a cadence sensor or a virtual cadence calculated from the torque readings in the hub (it senses the torque pulses being applied to the drive train via the pedals and since 2 pulses = one revolution, the time between 2 pulses gives you cadence).

You can select the CPU to use one or the other or a 3rd choice whereby it defaults to cadence sensor, then Hub virtual reading if no cadence sensor data comes through. Many find the virtual cadence to be pretty useless and turn it off. For others it works OK. Virtual cadence doesn't work once you go beyond about 140 rpm as the torque sample frequency rate (60Hz) isn't high enough to effectively distinguish the 2 torque pulses per pedal revolution at such high cadences.

5. BillM

BillM New Member

Thanks Alex. I am nowhere near 140 so I will put the cadence sensor on today. Thanks again.