Public acceptance of cycling US vs. other countries

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Henry, Jul 6, 2003.

  1. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Kurgan Gringioni
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:080720030837335825%[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, Bill Davidson <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Other than you, nobody's ever called me Fred. You only called me Fred because I called you on
    > > > your B.S. and you wanted to provoke me.
    > > >
    > > > Denigrating other people is something done to compensate for ones own insecurities. I'm sorry
    > > > that you feel so bad about yourself that you have to put down others to feel better. Worse,
    > > > that you're so confused, you make self-contradicting arguments.
    > >
    > > See Henry, he's learning already.
    >

    > He ruined it with this last part:
    >

    > > Come to think of it, if you were actually fast, you would be getting paid to ride around France
    > > right now instead of sitting at home and trolling r.b.r wouldn't you?
    >

    > Fred all the way.

    Inconsistency is a sign of a newbie, or anyone else in a political argument in RBR.

    -WG

  2. Urhome

    Urhome Guest

    Excellent but way off about the toe clips: they're totally contrarian now--almost transcendent.

    However, I would deduct points for rims that are wide enough to advertise product from 20 yards. I'd
    also deduct points for downtube shifters unless there's a bell mounted on the bars or the rider
    wears a vintage Skidlid or leather saddle.

    "Russ Baxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    > excess bike.
    >
    > If you have visible scars, you may move up two notches, unless you are a mountain biker. If you
    > are a mountain biker and have no visible scars, you must move down one notch. If you have scars in
    > an area that is not displayable in public, and you can persuade a member of the

    > in combination with below.
    >

    > getting any, and you are male, then move up four notches. Add two more notches if your partner is
    > in the riding group. Add another notch still if everyone else is flirting with her. This factor
    > does not

    > If you ride a team jersey for any team you have never joined, then you must move down two notches.
    > If your jerseys are tattered from use, then you may move up a notch. If you are a roadie, and wear
    > sleeveless jerseys, then move down a notch. Drop a notch if your jersey advertises a brand better
    > than the one you own. Drop four notches if you are wearing a T-shirt. Drop four notches if you are
    > wearing non-cycling shorts (unless they are speedos).
    >
    > If you do not shave your legs, move down three notches.
    >
    > If you ride Campagnolo, move up a notch, unless it's Record, in which case move up two notches. If
    > you ride Shimano, move down a notch, unless it's Dura Ace, which is neutral.
    >
    > If your bike is titanium, move up two notches. If it is high-end carbon, move up one notch. If it
    > is aluminum, move down a notch, unless it's a Felt, in which case you can move up a notch. QR's
    > are neutral, but only for triathletes. If you are a tourist, and your bike is not steel, move down
    > three notches.
    >
    > If you have aero wheels, move up a notch, unless you are a tourist, in which case move down
    > a notch.
    >
    > If you ride tubulars, move up a notch.
    >
    > If you ride with toe clips, then move to the bottom of the list.
    >
    > Move up a notch if you train on a fixed gear in the early season. Move up another notch if you
    > train on a real track bike.
    >
    > Move down a notch for each stupid question.
    >
    > Move down four notches if you use the phrase "I'm a triathlete" in any group of Roadies, Trackies,
    > and/or Club Riders.
    >
    > Move down a notch for each 15 pounds excess weight,unless you are wearing a Speedo, in which case
    > move down two notches. Pronounced cycling-short tan lines move you up a notch, but only in the
    > Summer. In the Winter, such tan lines move you up two notches.
    >
    > If, during the application of the above Unspoken Rules, you ever dip into the The Rest of the
    > World Category, then you must stay there. Subsequent Bonus Points become null and void.
    >
    > Note that non-roadies may choose not to participate in the above ranking system. Roadie
    > participation, however, is required.
    >
    > I hope this detailed approach to this serious problem will assist all of you in determining who
    > to snub."
    >

    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I am sorry to offend you but I could not think of any other language to describe the situation.
    > > If you have any alternatives to offer please let
    me
    > > know. Simply ignoring something is not an option. Not that has any kind
    of
    > > earth shattering importance, but I have given some thought to this over
    the
    > > years and that is the best I have come up with.
    > >
    > > Who do think I am giving a hard time to? The fact is, I am not giving
    anyone
    > > a hard time. Almost by definition anyone that is reading here is serious enough to not be
    > > concerned about it. Americans in general have a lot
    more
    > > money to spend before they even know if they will get serious about something. The same is true
    > > for other sports. This says more about the economic situation in the US than anything else.

    manner.
    > > You are just being insecure. There is nothing I wrote that should have offended anyone. I set no
    > > standards, I was describing something from the point of view of the aggressors, not me.
    > >
    > > "Tim Lambert" <timlambert @ mindspring . com> wrote in message
    > > news:p[email protected]...
    > > > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > race
    > > and
    > > >
    > > > I'm trying to figure out which is worse...
    > > >
    > > > Half-brained motorists that take pleasure in giving cyclists a hard
    time.
    > > > -or- Arrogant cyclists that take pleasure in giving other cyclists a hard
    time.

    > > > I am more offended by the latter. The motorists are just
    > > ignorant/stupid -
    > > > they just don't get it. But I fail to understand why cyclists feel the
    > > need
    > > > to degrade other cyclists with terms like "pretender" and "fred".
    > > >
    > > > Do I formally race? No. Do I ride with a club? Not very often. Do
    > > ride
    > > > 15000 miles a year? No.
    > > >
    > > > Do I have fun cycling? Yes. Does cycling help me stay fit? Yes. Do
    > > > appreciate good equipment? Yes.
    > > >
    > > > Sure Nick you might be an ok rider as compared to someone new to the
    > > sport,

    you
    > > > Nick - you arrogant asshole. Everything is relative, next to a *real* cyclist (i.e. pro),
    > > > *you* are the "fred pretender".
    > > >
    > > > (Sorry to the rest of RBR that actually helps and encourages people of lessor abilities and/or
    > > > experience. I just couldn't let another post
    like
    > > > that one go by.)
    > > >
    > > > - Tim (rather be a fred than an arrogant dick head) Lambert

  3. David Ryan

    David Ryan Guest

    Russ Baxter wrote:

    > I appears that the time has come to revisit the Rick Denney cycling food chain and I quote:
    >
    > "After conducting detailed research, I have created the definitive list for all cycling snobs to
    > provide much-need guidance on Who To Snub Without Remorse. I provide this service to all of you
    > free of charge.
    >
    > By the way, I don't care if mountain bikes are 60% of the market. If your knobbies have never been
    > off the pavement, then you are The Rest of the World.
    >
    > Here's the Modified Comprehensive Cycling Food Chain:
    >
    > -Roadies--Pros -MTBers--Pros -Roadies--Cat I/II -Trackies--All, but they must own their own track
    > bike -MTBers--Expert -Triathletes--Elites -Roadies--Cat III/IV -MTBers--Sport -Roadies--Cat V
    > -MTBers--Novice -Triathletes--Age Groupers wearing Speedos in a group ride (plus all of below)
    > -Triathletes--Age Groupers with forward position, 650 wheels, aerobars and normal cycling clothing
    > -Triathletes--Age Groupers on normal road bikes with aerobars -Tourists--Loaded, cross-country,
    > self-guided tours -Tourists--Loaded, cross-country, guided tours -Tourists--Loaded, organized
    > vacation group -Tourists--Non-loaded, organized vacation group in mountains (e.g. Pedal the Peaks
    > -Tourists--Non-loaded, organized vacation group in mere hills (e.g. Texas Hill Country Tour)
    > -Tourists--Weekend century riders -Club riders with Fancy Road Bikes -Club riders with Normal Road
    > Bikes -Club riders with Aerobars -Recreational MTBers (off-road only) -Commuters with fenders,
    > panniers, and lights -Commuters with panniers and lights -Commuters on racing bikes -The Rest of
    > the World
    >
    > Messengers are orthogonal to this ranking.
    >
    > If you are riding in a group, you gain Obnoxiousness Points for acting as if you are higher on the
    > list, and Humility Points for acting as if you are lower on the list. Both points are Bonus
    > Points, depending on who you are trying to impress.
    >
    > Now, you must adjust your position based on the following Unspoken Rules (never read these aloud):

    Keeping the ones that applied to me ---

    My highest was Roadie Cat V, though I could have IV'ed at the time before the accident. I raced
    off-and-on 2 seasons, 30 races.

    MTBers--Novice (Only did NORBA once) Tourists--Loaded, cross-country, self-guided tours (6 trips
    of 2K+ miles) Tourists--Weekend century riders Club riders with Fancy Road Bikes (see below)
    Commuters on racing bikes (to work - to club/team ride - to home)

    > Move up a notch this year only if you have nine-speed.

    What was 9 worth in 1997-8?

    > The Uniqueness Limit allows only two bikes of the same make and model in any one group. If the
    > limit is exceeded, then all riders of the offending make and model must move down a notch for each
    > excess bike.

    I rode a Litespeed Vortex. I think it was always unique.

    > Drop four notches if you are wearing a T-shirt. Drop four notches if you are wearing
    > non-cycling shorts

    I usually commuted to work this way (with long brown pants) on my Vortex. But the team stuff was in
    my backpack for later.

    > If you do not shave your legs, move down three notches. If you ride Shimano, move down a notch,
    > unless it's Dura Ace, which is neutral.

    DA, of course.

    > If your bike is titanium, move up two notches. If you are a tourist, and your bike is not steel,
    > move down three notches. If you have aero wheels, move up a notch, unless you are a tourist, in
    > which case move down a notch. If you ride with toe clips, then move to the bottom of the list.

    I rode plain shoes on flat anodized pedals regardless of touring or racing. ("We thought we were
    going to drop you in the first mile." was one reaction.) How many demos?

    > In the Winter, such tan lines move you up two notches.

    After my accident, the tan lines remained visible for two years.

    > If, during the application of the above Unspoken Rules, you ever dip into the The Rest of the
    > World Category, then you must stay there. Subsequent Bonus Points become null and void.

    I was always out of this world.

    > I hope this detailed approach to this serious problem will assist all of you in determining who
    > to snub."

    I think I get to snub everybody, including myself :)

  4. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    David Ryan wrote:
    > Russ Baxter wrote:
    >
    >>I appears that the time has come to revisit the Rick Denney cycling food chain and I quote:
    >>
    >>"After conducting detailed research, I have created the definitive list for all cycling snobs to
    >>provide much-need guidance on Who To Snub Without Remorse. I provide this service to all of you
    >>free of charge.
    >>
    >>By the way, I don't care if mountain bikes are 60% of the market. If your knobbies have never been
    >>off the pavement, then you are The Rest of the World.
    >>
    >>Here's the Modified Comprehensive Cycling Food Chain:

    How many points for leaving the original equipment reflectors on your racing bike? Positive
    or negative?

    Hair on legs?

    Spider-web but still certified ventillated helmet versus touron-style el cheapo?

  5. David Ryan

    David Ryan Guest

    Raptor wrote:

    > David Ryan wrote:
    > > Russ Baxter wrote:
    > >
    > >>I appears that the time has come to revisit the Rick Denney cycling food chain and I quote:
    > >>
    > >>"After conducting detailed research, I have created the definitive list for all cycling snobs to
    > >>provide much-need guidance on Who To Snub Without Remorse. I provide this service to all of you
    > >>free of charge.
    > >>
    > >>By the way, I don't care if mountain bikes are 60% of the market. If your knobbies have never
    > >>been off the pavement, then you are The Rest of the World.
    > >>
    > >>Here's the Modified Comprehensive Cycling Food Chain:
    >
    > How many points for leaving the original equipment reflectors on your racing bike? Positive or
    > negative?
    >
    > Hair on legs?
    >
    > Spider-web but still certified ventillated helmet versus touron-style el cheapo?

    You've seen me, huh? :)

  6. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    David Ryan wrote:
    > Raptor wrote:
    >
    >>David Ryan wrote:

    >>How many points for leaving the original equipment reflectors on your racing bike? Positive or
    >>negative?
    >>
    >>Hair on legs?
    >>
    >>Spider-web but still certified ventillated helmet versus touron-style el cheapo?
    >

    > You've seen me, huh? :)

    We'll keep each other company at the bottom of the list.