published helmet research - not troll

On 10/18/2004 08:29 PM, in article [email protected], "Bill
Z." <[email protected]> wrote:

> Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Bill Z. wrote:
>>
>>> I never claimed every conceivable helmet design reduces air drag.

>> True. You claimed _your_ helmet reduces air drag.
>>
>> And, when asked, you refused to even tell what model _your_ helmet is.

> Actually, I claimed that I had a typical "teardrop shaped" helmet
> that would reduce air drag by a very slight amount and that it is
> typical of many helmets.
>

>> Sometimes, Bill, when _everyone_ thinks you're wrong, it's because
>> you're actually wrong!

> You and two of your minion-trolls are not everyone.

Who cares?

Now shut up and go away.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

On 10/18/2004 08:35 PM, in article [email protected], "Bill
Z." <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> "Bill Z." <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> Oh, and if you do drop by, don't be surprised if you end up in the
>>> slammer for a second time, and your post would be used as evidence
>>> against you. Not very smart of you, one would think.

>> Give me your address and we'll see about it Bill.

> Is that a threat, Tommy? Nope, you'll not get an invitation, so
> if you do show up, I can get you charged for stalking as well. A
> little jail time for you would be a big plus for these newsgroups
> as you wouldn't be able to post anything.

Who cares?

Now shut up and go away.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com
veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

On 10/18/2004 10:15 PM, in article [email protected], "Frank Krygowski"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Bill Z. wrote:
>
>> Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> writes:

>>> True. You claimed _your_ helmet reduces air drag.
>>>
>>> And, when asked, you refused to even tell what model _your_ helmet is.

>> Actually, I claimed that I had a typical "teardrop shaped" helmet
>> that would reduce air drag by a very slight amount and that it is
>> typical of many helmets.

> Give us the make and model, Bill, or have the sense to slink away in
> embarrassment.

Who cares?

Now shut up and go away.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com
veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

On 10/18/2004 11:27 PM, in article [email protected], "Bill
Z." <[email protected]> wrote:

> Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Bill Z. wrote:

>>> Actually, I claimed that I had a typical "teardrop shaped" helmet
>>> that would reduce air drag by a very slight amount and that it is
>>> typical of many helmets.

>> Give us the make and model, Bill, or have the sense to slink away in
>> embarrassment.

> It's simply none of your business. I pointed out that it is a typical
> "teardrop-shaped helmet" with a moderate, but not extreme, number of
> vents and nothing particularly extreme in its design. You know, kind
> of middle-of-the road, dull, and boring, but better than a symmetric
> design like a Bell V1 Pro. That's all you need to know. I might have
> mentioned it as an example, but it is pretty much a typical design.
>
> Your "slink away" rhetoric just won't fly. It is typical of you,
> though, which is why I've always viewed you as a sleazy character - a
> wannabe politician type. You fit in quite well, though, as a slicker
> version of your cohorts, which include a baby-talking troll and a
> girlfriend basher. Nice company you keep, Frank.

Who cares?

Now shut up and go away.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com
veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

"Bill Z." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>> Give us the make and model, Bill, or have the sense to slink away in
>> embarrassment.

> It's simply none of your business. I pointed out that it is a typical
> "teardrop-shaped helmet" with a moderate, but not extreme, number of
> vents and nothing particularly extreme in its design.

And yet the most extreme design without vents wasn't as aerodynamic as a
bald head. Explain how your helmet with vents can be more aerodynamic than a
V1 Pro.

Oh, that's right - your proof of that proved just the opposite.

"Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> writes:

> On 10/18/2004 08:29 PM, in article [email protected], "Bill
> Z." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> >> Bill Z. wrote:
> >>

> > You and two of your minion-trolls are not everyone.

> Who cares?
> Now shut up and go away.

These bozos are posting far more on the topic than I am. Blame
them.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Bill Z." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> writes:
> >>
> >> Give us the make and model, Bill, or have the sense to slink away in
> >> embarrassment.

> > It's simply none of your business. I pointed out that it is a typical
> > "teardrop-shaped helmet" with a moderate, but not extreme, number of
> > vents and nothing particularly extreme in its design.

> And yet the most extreme design without vents wasn't as aerodynamic as a
> bald head. Explain how your helmet with vents can be more aerodynamic than a
> V1 Pro.

A V1 Pro has vents. Mine does too, plus having a more aerodyanmic
shape. Is that *really* so hard for you to understand? And a bald
head is not relevant when you are not going to shave your head in
any case.

> Oh, that's right - your proof of that proved just the opposite.

Nope, and repeating yourself won't make it so.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB

On 10/19/2004 11:54 PM, in article [email protected], "Bill
Z." <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> On 10/18/2004 08:29 PM, in article [email protected], "Bill
>> Z." <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> You and two of your minion-trolls are not everyone.

>> Who cares?
>> Now shut up and go away.

> These bozos are posting far more on the topic than I am. Blame
> them.

And because they post you have to respond? You have this need to get the
last word in? Isn't that a bit irrational?

Who cares?
Now shut up and go away.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com
veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

On 10/19/2004 07:59 PM, in article
[email protected], "Tom Kunich"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Bill Z." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> writes:
>>>
>>> Give us the make and model, Bill, or have the sense to slink away in
>>> embarrassment.

>> It's simply none of your business. I pointed out that it is a typical
>> "teardrop-shaped helmet" with a moderate, but not extreme, number of
>> vents and nothing particularly extreme in its design.

> And yet the most extreme design without vents wasn't as aerodynamic as a
> bald head. Explain how your helmet with vents can be more aerodynamic than a
> V1 Pro.
>
> Oh, that's right - your proof of that proved just the opposite.

Who cares?
Now shut up and go away.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com
veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

Bill Z. wrote:

> A V1 Pro has vents. Mine does too, plus having a more aerodyanmic
> shape.

I know of no ordinary, off-the-shelf helmet that's been shown to have a
"more aerodynamic shape" than a V1 Pro, and I'm sure I've got more
experience measuring aerodynamic drag than you have.

You could prove me wrong, of course. Just tell us the make and model of
your helmet, the one you're making these claims for. And point us to
the drag measurements that you're using to make your conclusion.

If you won't, it makes it clear that you're just trying to avoid proving
yourself a liar.

Unsuccessfully, of course!

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com.
Substitute cc dot ysu dot

"Bill Z." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> writes:
>> And yet the most extreme design without vents wasn't as aerodynamic as a
>> bald head. Explain how your helmet with vents can be more aerodynamic
>> than a
>> V1 Pro.

> A V1 Pro has vents. Mine does too, plus having a more aerodyanmic
> shape. Is that *really* so hard for you to understand? And a bald
> head is not relevant when you are not going to shave your head in
> any case.

1) You haven't a clue what "more aerodynamic" means unless your helmet was
tested in a wind tunnel. Aerodymanics of low speed laminar flow shapes
cannot be estimated unless you have hundreds of hours in wind tunnel
research.

I have 10's of hours. What about you?

>> Oh, that's right - your proof of that proved just the opposite.

> Nope, and repeating yourself won't make it so.

In case you've missed it, short hair is in. Short hair has a great deal less
aerodynamic drag than a modern helmet. Modern helmets don't meet the Snell
Foundation crash standards and perhaps HALF of them do not meet the
'voluntary' ANSI standards because they are self-certified.

The fact of the matter is that wearing a helmet makes little if any sense
but then you'll defend helmets to the death. Hopefully at the hands of a
defective helmet.

"Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bill Z. wrote:
>>
>> A V1 Pro has vents. Mine does too, plus having a more aerodyanmic
>> shape.

> I know of no ordinary, off-the-shelf helmet that's been shown to have a
> "more aerodynamic shape" than a V1 Pro, and I'm sure I've got more
> experience measuring aerodynamic drag than you have.
>
> You could prove me wrong, of course. Just tell us the make and model of
> your helmet, the one you're making these claims for. And point us to the
> drag measurements that you're using to make your conclusion.
>
> If you won't, it makes it clear that you're just trying to avoid proving
> yourself a liar.
>
> Unsuccessfully, of course!

Since a recreational rider spends a great deal of time turning his head this
way and that to watch traffic, the truth is that teardrop shaped helmet
carry a significantly higher average drag than a round shape such as the old
Bell V1 Pro.

Could it be that is the reason that we're seeing Bell selling round helmets
again?

"Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BD9BA588.4C51E%[email protected]...
> On 10/19/2004 11:54 PM, in article [email protected],
> "Bill
> Z." <[email protected]> wrote:
>> These bozos are posting far more on the topic than I am. Blame
>> them.

> And because they post you have to respond? You have this need to get the
> last word in? Isn't that a bit irrational?

Expecting rationality from Zaumen is like expecting cake in a can of beans.

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:BD9BA588.4C51E%[email protected]...
> > On 10/19/2004 11:54 PM, in article [email protected],
> > "Bill
> > Z." <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> These bozos are posting far more on the topic than I am. Blame
> >> them.

> > And because they post you have to respond? You have this need to get the
> > last word in? Isn't that a bit irrational?

> Expecting rationality from Zaumen is like expecting cake in a can of beans.

Well, Steve, it is interesting that you are blaming me when these other
guys are posting nothing but a string of baseless personal attacks. And
that doesn't show anything very complimentary about you. I've every
justification in telling these guys off given their continued behavior.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB

Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> writes:

> Bill Z. wrote:
> > A V1 Pro has vents. Mine does too, plus having a more aerodyanmic
> > shape.

> I know of no ordinary, off-the-shelf helmet that's been shown to have
> a "more aerodynamic shape" than a V1 Pro, and I'm sure I've got more
> experience measuring aerodynamic drag than you have.

THen you haven't looked very hard. A V1 Pro was first sold in 1983.
See <http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/main/about/timeline.html>, which
BTW has a picture of it. Modern helmets have an assymetric design,
which fills in the area behind the head. A Bell V1 Pro is
symmetric or very close - not at all "teardrop" shaped.

And I doubt if you've measured much of anything - otherwise you'd have
said what.

> You could prove me wrong, of course. Just tell us the make and model
> of your helmet, the one you're making these claims for. And point us
> to the drag measurements that you're using to make your conclusion.
>
> If you won't, it makes it clear that you're just trying to avoid
> proving yourself a liar.
>
> Unsuccessfully, of course!

Typical of Krygowski's dishonesty - the particular helmet I have is
a standard design with nothing particularly unique about it, so it
is not relevant to the discussion. I picked the particular model
because (a) the shop had it and (b) it fit my head well. There were
lots of other ones with similar shapes and a similar number of
vents.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Bill Z." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> writes:
> >> And yet the most extreme design without vents wasn't as aerodynamic as a
> >> bald head. Explain how your helmet with vents can be more aerodynamic
> >> than a
> >> V1 Pro.

> > A V1 Pro has vents. Mine does too, plus having a more aerodyanmic
> > shape. Is that *really* so hard for you to understand? And a bald
> > head is not relevant when you are not going to shave your head in
> > any case.

> 1) You haven't a clue what "more aerodynamic" means unless your helmet was
> tested in a wind tunnel. Aerodymanics of low speed laminar flow shapes
> cannot be estimated unless you have hundreds of hours in wind tunnel
> research.
>
> I have 10's of hours. What about you?

Given the number of careers you've claimed to have, Tommy, I really
don't believe you.

> In case you've missed it, short hair is in. Short hair has a great deal less
> aerodynamic drag than a modern helmet. Modern helmets don't meet the Snell
> Foundation crash standards and perhaps HALF of them do not meet the
> 'voluntary' ANSI standards because they are self-certified.

Perhaps you'd care to explain Section 21212(c) of the California
Vehicle Code which says, "No person shall sell, or offer for sale, for
use by an operator or passenger of a bicycle, nonmotorized scooter,
skateboard, or in-line or roller skates any safety helmet which is not
of a type meeting requirements established by this section." That
section refers to standards set by the ASTM or the U.S. CPSC. Both
supercede the ANSI standard which expired in 1994. If you check
<http://www.bhsi.org/stdcomp.htm>, you'll find that "In May, 1995, the
ANSI Z90.4 committee voted to adopt the ASTM standard as its own to
replace the 1984 version, reflecting the movement of active standards
development to ASTM." <http://www.bhsi.org/cpscfinl.htm> has the CPSC
standard.

You can rant all you want, but any helmet sold in California (and I imagine
most other states) for use on a bicycle has to meet specific standards.

--

Bill Z. wrote:

> Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> writes:
>
> [regarding Bill Zaumen's claim that _his_ helmet is more streamlined than a bare head:]
>>
>>I know of no ordinary, off-the-shelf helmet that's been shown to have
>>a "more aerodynamic shape" than a V1 Pro, and I'm sure I've got more
>>experience measuring aerodynamic drag than you have.

> THen you haven't looked very hard. A V1 Pro was first sold in 1983.
> See <http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/main/about/timeline.html>, which
> BTW has a picture of it. Modern helmets have an assymetric design,
> which fills in the area behind the head.

If you think the shape of a typical bike helmet allows the airflow to
smoothly converge behind the helmet, you must know very, very little
about practical aerodynamics.

Look again at time trial head fairings or time trial helmets. Those
shapes are quite extreme - quite long and gently tapered. Why? Because
that's what it takes to get the airflow to follow the helmet contours to
a reasonable degree. If the rear of the helmet (or other object) tapers
too quickly, the boundary layer separates completely and heavy
turbulence results.

Modern bike helmets are even worse in this regard. The surface is
nowhere near smooth, due to the presence of the vents necessary for
cooling. The air gets stirred up, to the point it wouldn't follow even
a gentle taper.

FWIW, I've never seen mention of wind tunnel work aiming to streamline a
conventional helmet. I assume this is because the designers know such a
thing is practically impossible.

But if you want to understand the principles involved, examine the
fairings used on Human Powered Vehicles - i.e. streamlined bicycles.
Successful ones are very smooth, long and tapered, and as small as
possible in frontal area. You won't find one that's shaped like a
typical bike helmet, which is very rough, _not_ gently tapered, and
larger than a bare head.

>>You could prove me wrong, of course. Just tell us the make and model
>>of your helmet, the one you're making these claims for. And point us
>>to the drag measurements that you're using to make your conclusion.
>>
>>If you won't, it makes it clear that you're just trying to avoid
>>proving yourself a liar.
>>
>>Unsuccessfully, of course!

> Typical of Krygowski's dishonesty - the particular helmet I have is
> a standard design with nothing particularly unique about it, so it
> is not relevant to the discussion.

If you say _your_ helmet causes less drag than a bare head, I think it's
relevant to ask what helmet you're talking about!

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com.
Substitute cc dot ysu dot
edu]

Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> writes:

> Bill Z. wrote:
>
> > Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> writes:
> > [regarding Bill Zaumen's claim that _his_ helmet is more streamlined
> > than a bare head:]
> >>
> >>I know of no ordinary, off-the-shelf helmet that's been shown to have
> >>a "more aerodynamic shape" than a V1 Pro, and I'm sure I've got more
> >>experience measuring aerodynamic drag than you have.

> > THen you haven't looked very hard. A V1 Pro was first sold in 1983.
> > See <http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/main/about/timeline.html>, which
> > BTW has a picture of it. Modern helmets have an assymetric design,
> > which fills in the area behind the head.

> If you think the shape of a typical bike helmet allows the airflow to
> smoothly converge behind the helmet, you must know very, very little
> about practical aerodynamics.

It has to reduce drag relative to a completely symmetric helmet, and
not by very much. BTW, it is well known that you will speed up if
someone is drafting you - you'll put out more effort than the person
behind but you'll still go faster than if you were riding alone.
Filling in the are behind the cyclist (or behind the head) helps.

> Look again at time trial head fairings or time trial helmets. Those
> shapes are quite extreme - quite long and gently tapered. Why?

Because they are *optimized* for the lowest achievable drag. <rest
of red herring snipped>

> >>If you won't, it makes it clear that you're just trying to avoid
> >>proving yourself a liar.
> >>
> >>Unsuccessfully, of course!

> > Typical of Krygowski's dishonesty - the particular helmet I have is
> > a standard design with nothing particularly unique about it, so it
> > is not relevant to the discussion.

> If you say _your_ helmet causes less drag than a bare head, I think
> it's relevant to ask what helmet you're talking about!

No it isn't. We were talking about reducing drag relative to a bare
head for someone with a full head of hair when a Bell V1 Pro causes
only a very tiny increase in drag over that case. It simply doesn't
require much of an improvement to get a tiny reduction in drag. The
particular model I have is not relevant - there's nothing special
about it.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB