published helmet research - not troll

Bill Z. wrote:

> Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>If you think the shape of a typical bike helmet allows the airflow to
>>smoothly converge behind the helmet, you must know very, very little
>>about practical aerodynamics.

> It has to reduce drag relative to a completely symmetric helmet, and
> not by very much. BTW, it is well known that you will speed up if
> someone is drafting you - you'll put out more effort than the person
> behind but you'll still go faster than if you were riding alone.
> Filling in the are behind the cyclist (or behind the head) helps.

:)

Yes, you've just proven conclusively how little you know about practical
aerodynamics.

Carry on, Bill. You're fun to watch!

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> writes:

> Bill Z. wrote:
>
> > Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> writes:
> >

> >>If you think the shape of a typical bike helmet allows the airflow to
> >>smoothly converge behind the helmet, you must know very, very little
> >>about practical aerodynamics.

> > It has to reduce drag relative to a completely symmetric helmet, and
> > not by very much. BTW, it is well known that you will speed up if
> > someone is drafting you - you'll put out more effort than the person
> > behind but you'll still go faster than if you were riding alone.
> > Filling in the are behind the cyclist (or behind the head) helps.

> Yes, you've just proven conclusively how little you know about
> practical aerodynamics.

As opposed to the real thing, I presume. BTW, you might read
_Bicycle Science_ for a short introduction.

> Carry on, Bill. You're fun to watch!

You've proven once again that you'll resort to mindless rhetoric,
which seems to be all you are capable of. Where you perchance fool
enough to vote for Bush?

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB

"Bill Z." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Bill Z. wrote:
>> > A V1 Pro has vents. Mine does too, plus having a more aerodyanmic
>> > shape.

>> I know of no ordinary, off-the-shelf helmet that's been shown to have
>> a "more aerodynamic shape" than a V1 Pro, and I'm sure I've got more
>> experience measuring aerodynamic drag than you have.

> THen you haven't looked very hard. A V1 Pro was first sold in 1983.
> See <http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/main/about/timeline.html>, which
> BTW has a picture of it. Modern helmets have an assymetric design,
> which fills in the area behind the head. A Bell V1 Pro is
> symmetric or very close - not at all "teardrop" shaped.

Let me guess - you have one of those genetic diseases that cause you to
forget anything before the last posting?

It is humorous though to watch someone as ignorant as yourself tell us that
you can determine areodynamics by having some crude ideas gotten by magazine
articles on the subject but those with actual wind tunnel experience in the
speed regimes pertinent have to somehow have published papers on precisely
the helmet that you're wearing before their opinions are valid. And of
course you won't actually SAY what your helmet is.

Is it true that you say "wascuwy wabbit"?

> Typical of Krygowski's dishonesty - the particular helmet I have is
> a standard design with nothing particularly unique about it, so it
> is not relevant to the discussion.

You're the one claiming that your helmet somehow is more aerodynamic than a
Bell X1 Pro. We're the one's laughing in your face since you don't have a
clue what you're talking about. "Teardrop" shaped indeed!

You real name backwards is "tihs pid"

"Bill Z." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>> If you think the shape of a typical bike helmet allows the airflow to
>> smoothly converge behind the helmet, you must know very, very little
>> about practical aerodynamics.

> It has to reduce drag relative to a completely symmetric helmet, and
> not by very much.

Bill, you really are a nutcase aren't you? You haven't even a rudimentary
understanding of linear flow aerodynamics and every word from your brain
makes that more apparent.

>> If you say _your_ helmet causes less drag than a bare head, I think
>> it's relevant to ask what helmet you're talking about!
>>

> No it isn't.

Yes it is.

Your real name backwards is "ssakcaJ"

"Bill Z." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> writes:
>> Yes, you've just proven conclusively how little you know about
>> practical aerodynamics.

> As opposed to the real thing, I presume. BTW, you might read
> _Bicycle Science_ for a short introduction.

Yeah, if there's one comprehensive handbook on aerodynamics it's without a
doubt Bicycle Science.

>> Carry on, Bill. You're fun to watch!

> You've proven once again that you'll resort to mindless rhetoric,
> which seems to be all you are capable of. Where you perchance fool
> enough to vote for Bush?

Your real name backwards: yoB samaM

Tom Kunich wrote:

> Your real name backwards: yoB samaM

God help me that was funny.

Bill "longer thread than Zaumie's psych file" S.

"Bill Z." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Given the number of careers you've claimed to have, Tommy, I really
> don't believe you.

Why that just devastates me Bill. But then again, I'm not frightened to
death that other's might find out who I am that I am shaking with fear that
someone else might so much as discover what sort of HELMET I wear!

> Perhaps you'd care to explain Section 21212(c) of the California
> Vehicle Code which says, "No person shall sell, or offer for sale, for
> use by an operator or passenger of a bicycle, nonmotorized scooter,
> skateboard, or in-line or roller skates any safety helmet which is not
> of a type meeting requirements established by this section." That
> section refers to standards set by the ASTM or the U.S. CPSC. Both
> supercede the ANSI standard which expired in 1994. If you check
> <http://www.bhsi.org/stdcomp.htm>, you'll find that "In May, 1995, the
> ANSI Z90.4 committee voted to adopt the ASTM standard as its own to
> replace the 1984 version, reflecting the movement of active standards
> development to ASTM." <http://www.bhsi.org/cpscfinl.htm> has the CPSC
> standard.

What is there about the term - "self certified" that you don't understand?

Your name backwards is pmulpmuL ylliW

"Bill Z." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Well, Steve, it is interesting that you are blaming me when these other
> guys are posting nothing but a string of baseless personal attacks.

Why don't you call him a liar while you're at it?

Your name backswards is rotalleF doohrobhgieN

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Bill Z." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> writes:

> > THen you haven't looked very hard. A V1 Pro was first sold in 1983.
> > See <http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/main/about/timeline.html>, which
> > BTW has a picture of it. Modern helmets have an assymetric design,
> > which fills in the area behind the head. A Bell V1 Pro is
> > symmetric or very close - not at all "teardrop" shaped.

> Let me guess - you have one of those genetic diseases that cause you to
> forget anything before the last posting?

Let me guess. You are still acting like a child and trying to hide the
fact that the picture discredits your claims.

> It is humorous though to watch someone as ignorant as yourself tell us that
> you can determine areodynamics by having some crude ideas gotten by magazine
> articles on the subject but those with actual wind tunnel experience in the
> speed regimes pertinent have to somehow have published papers on precisely
> the helmet that you're wearing before their opinions are valid. And of
> course you won't actually SAY what your helmet is.

Previously you've claimed to be an electronics something or other, a
professional writer, and Lord knows what else. Interestingly, you
always seem to claim to have the precise skill set to match what you
are ranting about at the moment. Sorry Tommy, I'm not impressed, and
won't believe you without proof, particularly after all your lies on
various topics. And besids, your've never said exactly what your
alledged "wind tunnel experience" is (but I do recall something about
10 hours, which isn't a lot.) Did you solve the Navier Stokes
Equation or merely fill some canister with oil?

> You're the one claiming that your helmet somehow is more aerodynamic than a
> Bell X1 Pro. We're the one's laughing in your face since you don't have a
> clue what you're talking about. "Teardrop" shaped indeed!
>
> You real name backwards is "tihs pid"

Back to your junior high school locker room?

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Bill Z." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> writes:
> >>
> >> If you think the shape of a typical bike helmet allows the airflow to
> >> smoothly converge behind the helmet, you must know very, very little
> >> about practical aerodynamics.

> > It has to reduce drag relative to a completely symmetric helmet, and
> > not by very much.

> Bill, you really are a nutcase aren't you? You haven't even a rudimentary
> understanding of linear flow aerodynamics and every word from your brain
> makes that more apparent.

The term you probably want is "laminar flow". Your confusion is yet more
proof that you really don't have a clue. And your continued bad manners
is just another indication of your pathetic abusive personality.

I'll treat you as I did Guy and flush the rest of your messages from
today. Come back when you can act like an adult.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB

"B i l l S o r n s o n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tom Kunich wrote:
>
>> Your real name backwards: yoB samaM

> God help me that was funny.
>
> Bill "longer thread than Zaumie's psych file" S.

Sorry about that Bill. Zaumen has reached the penacular heights of
foolishness and I just HAVE to see how far he will take it.

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> writes:

> "B i l l S o r n s o n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Tom Kunich wrote:
> >
> >> Your real name backwards: yoB samaM

> > God help me that was funny.
> >
> > Bill "longer thread than Zaumie's psych file" S.

> Sorry about that Bill. Zaumen has reached the penacular heights of
> foolishness and I just HAVE to see how far he will take it.

Are both of you little boys having fun in your crib? What a bunch
of mindless infants the lot of you are!

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB

Hey you guys aren't finished with this thread already,
are you? I was going to jump in with some well reasoned
and insighful commentary, but I got all wrapped up in
the election and stuff.

I think helmets should be required by law. Especially
in cars since that's where most head injuries occur.
I'll bet no one can make a reasonable case for not
doing this.

Bob Schwartz
[email protected]

PS I am serious about this. This is NOT a troll. I
want to provoke some thoughtful discussion on this
subject. Really.

I hope I haven't missed all the fun.