Pulled Beef BBQ Recipe

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jim Goldschmidt, Oct 2, 2005.

  1. Grandma Petrie's Pulled Beef BBQ Recipe recipe:

    This was a popular favorite at Cincinnati's House of Morgan resturant
    from the 50's to the 80s'. Measurements are US.

    * Step One - Cooking the meat

    3 lbs beef loin (or pork loin).
    1 onion, chopped fine
    2 stalks celery, chopped fine
    1/2 green pepper, chopped fine
    ½ package dry onion soup mix
    24 ounces water
    dash salt
    dash pepper

    Cut roast into two-inch cubes. Mix ingredients together. Bring to boil.
    Reduce heat to low. Simmer covered in 2 quart pot for 90 minutes to two
    hours.

    Remove from heat. Strain meat from liquid. Important: Reserve liquid
    for sauce.

    Pull beef while still warm. It will shred easily by hand or with two
    forks. Refrigerate pulled meat if needed for up to 48 hours.

    * Step Two - Creating the Sauce

    2 onions, chopped fine
    2 stalks celery, choopend fine
    1 green pepper, chopped fine
    1.5 cups tomato ketchup
    2 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    4 ounces bottled bbq sauce (choose your favorite brand)
    2 ounces cider vinegar
    1/2 cup brown sugar, packed firm
    3 ounces Worcestershire sauce
    12 ounces of reserved liquid (from Step One)

    Mix ingredients very well. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer
    low for 30 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally.

    * Part Three - Making the BBQ

    Mix pulled beef and sauce very well. Simmer on medium-low, covered for
    one hour.

    Serving Suggestion
    Serve on toasted bakery buns with pickles and/or cole slaw. Keeps
    refrigerated for 4 days. Keeps frozen for three months.

    ....I'm posting this for archival purposes.

    This recipe for pulled beef bbq is by my maternal grandmother, Bettie
    Petrie. I got this recipe from her today (Oct 2, 2005).

    She and her husband, Joe Petrie, were restaurateurs in Cincinnati, OH.
    They ran several restaurants at once. My grandparents retired from the
    restuarant business about 1980. Their last diner, The House of Morgan,
    was located at Broadway & 8th in Cincinnati.

    Tags:

  2. Bubbabob

    Bubbabob Guest

    "Jim Goldschmidt <[email protected]>" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Grandma Petrie's Pulled Beef BBQ Recipe recipe:
    >
    > This was a popular favorite at Cincinnati's House of Morgan resturant
    > from the 50's to the 80s'. Measurements are US.
    >
    > * Step One - Cooking the meat
    >
    > 3 lbs beef loin (or pork loin).
    > 1 onion, chopped fine
    > 2 stalks celery, chopped fine
    > 1/2 green pepper, chopped fine
    > ½ package dry onion soup mix
    > 24 ounces water
    > dash salt
    > dash pepper
    >
    > Cut roast into two-inch cubes. Mix ingredients together. Bring to boil.
    > Reduce heat to low. Simmer covered in 2 quart pot for 90 minutes to two
    > hours.

    Please don't demean the term BBQ by associating it with boiled beef.

  3. On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 06:20:54 -0000, Bubbabob
    <[email protected]_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote:

    >Please don't demean the term BBQ by associating it with boiled beef.

    touché

    Can you imagine this recipe posted on afb and called BBQ?

    --
    -denny-

    "I don't like it when a whole state starts
    acting like a marital aid."
    "John R. Campbell" in a Usenet post.

  4. Default User

    Default User Guest

    Bubbabob wrote:

    > Please don't demean the term BBQ by associating it with boiled beef.

    Heh.

    I make shredded beef with a chuck roast that I smoke on the Weber or
    the WSM for several hours, then simmer it in beef broth, a touch of
    cider vinegar, and some spices.

    Brian
    won't shut up.

  5. I understand what barbecue is-- a slow cooking of meat over an open
    fire. However, it's my grandmother's name for her recipe. I considered
    renaming it it but... its her recipe, and its how her restuarant sold
    it for 30 years.

  6. Jim Goldschmidt <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I understand what barbecue is-- a slow cooking of meat over an open
    > fire. However, it's my grandmother's name for her recipe. I considered
    > renaming it it but... its her recipe, and its how her restuarant sold
    > it for 30 years.

    It looks like a tasty recipe. Thank you for sharing it.

    Derek Juhl

  7. Bubbabob

    Bubbabob Guest

    "Jim Goldschmidt <[email protected]>" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I understand what barbecue is-- a slow cooking of meat over an open
    > fire. However, it's my grandmother's name for her recipe. I considered
    > renaming it it but... its her recipe, and its how her restuarant sold
    > it for 30 years.

    Over coals, actually. Cooking over open fires is usually considered
    grilling and it's pretty hard to slow cook over a flame.

  8. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    On 5 Oct 2005 16:36:29 -0700, "Jim Goldschmidt <[email protected]>"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I understand what barbecue is-- a slow cooking of meat over an open
    >fire. However, it's my grandmother's name for her recipe. I considered
    >renaming it it but... its her recipe, and its how her restuarant sold
    >it for 30 years.

    How about a repost.. I missed the recipe..
    Chuck