Pulled Hamstring

Cprace1

Nov 6, 2005
About a two months ago I pulled my right Hamstring during a MS150 at about the 50 mile mark I road out the rest of the day and most of the second day after being told not to ride. Well after about two months rest no lifting, and just a little riding on the stationary bike, it is still pretty painful when I get on the bike or try to lift. The stationary bike does not really bother it much. I have heard it can take up to six months for a hamstring to heal :( I was wondering though if anyone had any advise or knew of any supplements that could make this injury heal a little faster.

I know this is probably something you have heard many times already, but just in case, here it goes. During 32 years of running I learned to have great respect for hamstring injuries, as they can take a long time to heal if abused. As soon as I felt I had a pull, or even a twinge, I would immediately stop to protect the hamstring from further injury.
If I were you I would ice the area and also use heat, intermitently. Do not do any activity that will irritate the muscle. Once you feel you start to gain strength, go easy, don't overdo it !
Good luck with your recovery.

Thanks for the advice yeah I finally told myself hey I gotta take a break I have been off for 2 weeks and have felt a big diffrence hoping to get back on the bike here shortly and get back to things I hate just sitting around

BillBB is definitely right. I 'm new to cycling but I tore my hamstring playing football and because I didn't properly rest it (lifting weights) it has taken pretty much two years to heal and is only really better now. I finally got some physiotherapy though which definitely helped alot.
Take it easy.

I have been lame in the hamstrings after long hilly rides and I could do a one hour infomercial on the merits of 50mg Hyaluronic acid everyday. I have never had such pain free stretching after long rides since I've been using it so it will probably help heal a pulled hamstring it's worth a try anyways. Apparently it is a water holding molecule that you make less of as you get older.

http://www.puritan.com/pages/file.asp?xs=9E21990E26714307835CA9E48F6081A0&PID=5191&CPID=8040&np=1