Pulled over by the cops

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by James Shugg, Oct 9, 2003.

  1. James Shugg

    James Shugg Guest

    On my morning commute today, I was waiting in at the head of a fairly long traffic queue at Bank
    junction in the City this morning, along with several other cyclists and mopeds. A lycra clad and
    very fit guy probably around 40 yo on a road bike came gliding down the line of traffic, but on the
    wrong side of the road, then continued right through the junction against a red light. There was
    hardly any moving traffic around (he seemed to have timed the traffic light sequence such that
    everything was red) except for a City Police Mercedes which did a U turn in front of him and pulled
    him over. I didn't wait to see what the cops did to him but the cyclist looked aghast.

    The only time I've been caught is when I got bored waiting at a red light at a pedestrial crossing.
    The peds had already crossed, and there was no one else around, so I moved off at a slow pace, not
    noticing that the vehicle next to me was a police motor bike. He let me off though.

    Has anyone here had the book thrown at them for doing something pretty daft like the chap above.
    What was the fine/outcome?

    James

    Tags:

  2. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    James Shugg wrote:
    > On my morning commute today, I was waiting in at the head of a fairly long traffic queue at Bank
    > junction in the City this morning, along with several other cyclists and mopeds. A lycra clad and
    > very fit guy probably around 40 yo on a road bike came gliding down the line of traffic, but on
    > the wrong side of the road, then continued right through the junction against a red light. There
    > was hardly any moving traffic around (he seemed to have timed the traffic light sequence such that
    > everything was red) except for a City Police Mercedes which did a U turn in front of him and
    > pulled him over. I didn't wait to see what the cops did to him but the cyclist looked aghast.
    >
    > The only time I've been caught is when I got bored waiting at a red light at a pedestrial
    > crossing. The peds had already crossed, and there was no one else around, so I moved off at a slow
    > pace, not noticing that the vehicle next to me was a police motor bike. He let me off though.
    >
    > Has anyone here had the book thrown at them for doing something pretty daft like the chap above.
    > What was the fine/outcome?
    >
    > James

    My mate was pulled in Golden, Colorado for running a red light. The Cop let him off because he was
    from out of town.

    All road users who jump red lights and amber lights should be nicked IMHO.

    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    James Shugg wrote:
    > There was hardly any moving traffic around (he seemed to have timed the traffic light sequence
    > such that everything was red) except for a City Police Mercedes which did a U turn in front of him
    > and pulled him over. I didn't wait to see what the cops did to him but the cyclist looked aghast.

    Good. As for his probable claim that it was safe for him to do so, his failure to notice the police
    car shows his observation of the traffic was lacking

    Tony

    --
    "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

  4. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "James Shugg" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Has anyone here had the book thrown at them for doing something pretty daft like the chap above.
    > What was the fine/outcome?

    The only time I go through lights on red is on my morning commute pre-0600. There are several
    lights that do not pick up my bike's presence and will go through a couple of sequences ignoring
    me. If no car is around or approaching I ride through. If somehow an unseen cop saw me, I'd quote
    Highway Code rule 117.

  5. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > My mate was pulled in Golden, Colorado for running a red light. The Cop
    let
    > him off because he was from out of town.
    >
    > All road users who jump red lights and amber lights should be nicked IMHO.

    Definitely, just cos you are on a bike, doesnt mean that traffic signals do not apply.

    Thing is, this is probably one of the reasons that some car drivers hate us cyclists so!

  6. Robin Long

    Robin Long Guest

    > James Shugg wrote:
    > > There was hardly any moving traffic around (he seemed to have timed the traffic light sequence
    > > such that everything was red) except for a City Police Mercedes which did a U turn in front of
    > > him and pulled him over. I didn't wait to see what the cops did to him but the cyclist looked
    > > aghast.
    > >

    > Good. As for his probable claim that it was safe for him to do so, his failure to notice the
    > police car shows his observation of the traffic was lacking
    >
    > Tony
    >
    > --
    > "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

    The reasons some motorists hate cyclist is because while they're sitting in a traffic jam in their
    gas guzzling tin boxes costing tens of thousands of pounds, some guy on a piece of hundred year old
    engineering costing a fraction of that, whizzes past on the inside to the front of the queue then
    gets across the junction just as the lights change only proving to said motorist what, at times, a
    seriously inefficient machine the car can be.

    Robin ( whose car is being repaired so he is forced to using the bike in the pouring rain and may
    have a slightly biased view) Long.

  7. Robert Bruce

    Robert Bruce Guest

    > Thing is, this is probably one of the reasons that some car drivers hate
    us
    > cyclists so!

    Nah. They just hate us and then they look for 'reasons'.

    On my weekly ride in London I see many more motorists than cyclists ignoring red lights, but they
    seem to think that cruising through a second or two into the red sequence is not as bad as blatantly
    ignoring an 'established' red light. On Tuesday I stopped for a light that had just changed to red
    only to be overtaken by a car that missed the pedestrian who was starting to cross (on a red
    pedestrian light, naturally) by inches. My sarcastic comment of "Bloody cyclists going through red
    lights!" to the ped was met with a completely blank stare.

    --
    Rob

    Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute and benefit.

  8. W K

    W K Guest

    "Robert Bruce" <robatanalytical-dynamicsdotcodotyoukay> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > cross (on a red pedestrian light, naturally) by inches. My sarcastic
    comment
    > of "Bloody cyclists going through red lights!" to the ped was met with a completely blank stare.

    London Rule 1: Never speak to people you do not know.

    1(b) unless you are literally insane.

  9. Mikebam

    Mikebam Guest

    > "James Shugg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Has anyone here had the book thrown at them for doing something pretty daft like the chap above.
    > > What was the fine/outcome?
    >
    > The only time I go through lights on red is on my morning commute
    pre-0600.
    > There are several lights that do not pick up my bike's presence and will
    go
    > through a couple of sequences ignoring me. If no car is around or approaching I ride through. If
    > somehow an unseen cop saw me, I'd quote Highway Code rule 117.
    >
    > --
    > Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net
    >

    > Simon
    This is a good point - likewise there are a few lights on my bike commute which are operated by the
    pressure?? strips on the road which I can sit at waiting for a car to come along to trip my
    side(I've even suffered this with a lightweight fi-glass kit car). I'm not offering this as an
    excuse to run red lights but the way lights are sprouting up everywhere for any reason around
    here(Manchester) I can see why cyclists have given up on them because its obvious the lights are
    nothing to do with reason and everything to do with deterring people from using anything other than
    public transport. Mike

  10. W K wrote:
    > "Robert Bruce" <robatanalytical-dynamicsdotcodotyoukay> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>cross (on a red pedestrian light, naturally) by inches. My sarcastic
    >
    > comment
    >
    >>of "Bloody cyclists going through red lights!" to the ped was met with a completely blank stare.
    >

    > London Rule 1: Never speak to people you do not know.
    >
    > 1(b) unless you are literally insane.

    London Rule 2: If someone speaks to you they are insane, it is safe to ignore them.

    2(b) Unless it is someone shouting at you in traffic, in which case tell them to go 69 themselves.

  11. Seamus

    Seamus New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003
    Got stopped by the police in Leicester on the way to Spokesfest 1 for jumping a red light.

    They didn't stop the car that was behind me, the car that went through the red light after me, the one that would have hit me if I stopped instead of light jumping.

  12. robbiew

    robbiew New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2003
    Back on topic I have only been stopped once, as a kid riding down the one way high street the wrong way, in front of the police station. I saw them coming and would have had no problem if I had my sensible "get off, give them a wave and a smile" head on. Unfortunately I went for the "I can outrun them " option. I did outrun them by nipping down an alleyway, but those crafty coppers knew where to wait for me later a gave me a bit of grief.

    Now I have a lot more respect for traffic cops and (contraversially?) believe that they are on the side of the more vulnerable road user. I've got no time for whingers who say that the police should not be wasting time nicking "honest and upright citizens" who are breaking traffic laws.

  13. robbiew

    robbiew New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2003
    took me a bit of time to type that. Not suggesting that seamus is a whinger.

  14. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    James Shugg wrote:

    > Has anyone here had the book thrown at them for doing something pretty daft like the chap above.
    > What was the fine/outcome?

    I once got told off, while `racing' against a friend I went through a red (pedestrian crossing)
    completely on the on the wrong side of the road (there was a traffic island in the way). There were
    no pedestrians around and no cars coming, but I can't complain really. Nothing came of it, I just
    did my best to look meek. Needless to say, I lost the race.

    I go through red lights more carefully these days. It's funny how this supposedly makes British
    people hate cyclists, but it has no such effect in Japan. Could be because this whole theory is a
    load of bollocks, and instead people hate cyclists first and then find an excuse to `justify' it
    afterwards.

    James

  15. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    James Annan wrote:

    > I go through red lights more carefully these days. It's funny how this supposedly makes British
    > people hate cyclists, but it has no such effect in Japan. Could be because this whole theory is a
    > load of bollocks, and instead people hate cyclists first and then find an excuse to `justify' it
    > afterwards.

    But then the whole cultural psyche is against having or showing any such emotion. Go with the flow,
    nail that stands up etc

    When was the last time you saw a Tokyo taxi driver express anger or frustration (only ever had it
    happen once with me) cf a London cabbie.

    Tony

    --

  16. In article <[email protected]>, Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    > The only time I go through lights on red is on my morning commute pre-0600. There are several
    > lights that do not pick up my bike's presence and will go through a couple of sequences ignoring
    > me. If no car is around or approaching I ride through. If somehow an unseen cop saw me, I'd quote
    > Highway Code rule 117.

    Um

    <http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/11.shtml> says:

    117. On a three-lane dual carriageway, you may use the middle lane or the right-hand lane to
    overtake but return to the middle and then the left-hand lane when it is safe.

    I don't *think* that's the rule you mean. Unless you're just hoping that the police officer won't
    actually check?

    Phil

  17. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Robin Long wrote:

    > The reasons some motorists hate cyclist is because while they're sitting in a traffic jam in their
    > gas guzzling tin boxes costing tens of thousands of pounds, some guy on a piece of hundred year
    > old engineering costing a fraction of that, whizzes past on the inside to the front of the queue
    > then gets across the junction just as the lights change only proving to said motorist what, at
    > times, a seriously inefficient machine the car can be.

    Can't be true in my case - the bike is worth more than many of the tin boxes I pass ;-)

    Tony

    --
    "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

  18. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Philip Armstrong" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > The only time I go through lights on red is on my morning commute
    pre-0600.
    > >There are several lights that do not pick up my bike's presence and will
    go
    > >through a couple of sequences ignoring me. If no car is around or approaching I ride through. If
    > >somehow an unseen cop saw me, I'd quote Highway Code rule 117.
    >
    > Um
    >
    > <http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/11.shtml> says:
    >
    > 117. On a three-lane dual carriageway, you may use the middle lane or the right-hand lane to
    > overtake but return to the middle and then the left-hand lane when it is safe.
    >
    > I don't *think* that's the rule you mean. Unless you're just hoping that the police officer won't
    > actually check?

    Oops, yes you're right it's rule 152 - my mistake.

    "You MUST NOT move forward over the white line when the red light is showing. Only go forward when
    the traffic lights are green if there is room for you to clear the junction safely or you are taking
    up a position to turn right. If the traffic lights are not working, proceed with caution".

    If your bike isn't detected , you can argue that they're not working. Simon

  19. Rory

    Rory Guest

    "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > My mate was pulled in Golden, Colorado for running a red light. The Cop
    > let
    > > him off because he was from out of town.
    > >
    > > All road users who jump red lights and amber lights should be nicked IMHO.

    > Thing is, this is probably one of the reasons that some car drivers hate us cyclists so!

    Yeah but why? Is it that they care for us and would hate to see us hurt? I suspect its because they
    hate to see anyone getting ahead of them.

  20. In news:[email protected], robbiew <[email protected]> typed:
    > I've got no time for whingers who say that the police should not be wasting time nicking "honest
    > and upright citizens" who are breaking traffic laws.

    What? Are you implying that honest and upright citizens don't break traffic laws?

    I have this kind of fantasy of one day being arrested breaking into a house or something, and
    turning around and complaining to the police officer that they're not catching the bloke who cut me
    up yesterday going 30mph over the
    limit.

    But of course last time I did speak to the police, they didn't offer much hope of catching the bloke
    who'd just burgled where I live ("Oh no, don't change your travel plans just to come in and do a
    videofit, it's not worth your time"), and they had to leave half way through my statement to get
    involved in a car chase anyway.