Power meters · Public discussion

Pulling back to round out pedal stroke.

Started by Quadsweep · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,183 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Power meters
Published
26 October 2006
Last activity
26 October 2006
Original author
Quadsweep
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,183
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I remember from Lemonds book that he recommended pulling backwards a bit starting at 3 o'clock in the down stroke, like you are wiping your feet on a mat, in order to"round out" the pedal stroke and in the long run increase power.

    What is your opinion on this? I know several guys that say this is BS and only focus on pushing.

    I know that Carmichael is a big believer in this and adds that one should also try to push "up and over" the top of the stroke too.

  2. I am slowly getting more used to this circular action. I find that I can increase my speed on the same stretch of road on different days with the same gear using this technique. I have managed to peep over 40kph and reach 43kph.

    So it's either,

    1) I am just hopeless previously.
    2) My legs are getting stronger.
    3) Gravity/wind gets stronger on some days.

    But I am a believer. 😉

  3. I like the quote feature in this forum, saves one from having to rewrite sooo much 🙂

    ric_stern/RST said:

    Not only is 'circular' pedalling overrated, the evidence appears to be against it -- in general, all the research that had examinded actual pedal forces tends to show that less good cyclist are more 'circular', while better cyclists simply stomp down harder.

    As i said in another thread i would not worry about how you pedal (for the vast majority -- MTBers are an exception due to issues of steep and slippy hills) -- all you want to do is aim to produce the greatest power over the duration of your ride

    ric

  4. If you need to close a gap in an instant and are only at about 80-85% of your effort, a few scoops will help you increase your r.p.m. rate and give your bike a increase in speed before you shift. I am a firm believer in good circular effieciency before you get those top end pistons pushing down.

  5. I believe it and practise it. I only weight 130lb to 135lb. How many times I can stomp on the pedals and still able to hold my FT at 85% for 2 hours??? I only deliberatly stomp down when I need to keep my power range higher on a up hill section in order to maintain some good speed. Sometimes when my legs do feel good I just don't feel a thing when really stomping down on the pedals though. :p

    Quadsweep said:

    I remember from Lemonds book that he recommended pulling backwards a bit starting at 3 o'clock in the down stroke, like you are wiping your feet on a mat, in order to"round out" the pedal stroke and in the long run increase power.

    What is your opinion on this? I know several guys that say this is BS and only focus on pushing.

    I know that Carmichael is a big believer in this and adds that one should also try to push "up and over" the top of the stroke too.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.