Pulling out of Speedplays



Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stan Lipnowski

Guest
On today's ride I must have pulled out 10 times out of my Speedplays (X). None of these were
during sprints, but rather just when spinning. Only have about 2300 km on the pedals.
Ideas/suggesations? Stan
 
D

Dave Thompson

Guest
"Stan Lipnowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On today's ride I must have pulled out 10 times out of my Speedplays (X). None of these were
> during sprints, but rather just when spinning. Only
have
> about 2300 km on the pedals. Ideas/suggesations? Stan
>
It sounds like your cleats are dirty and the springs are sticking or the springs are worn and need
replacing. The cleats do require periodic cleaning and maintenance. See Speedplay's web-site for
info regarding this, to contact them: http://www.speedplay.com
 
T

Tim McNamara

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
"Stan Lipnowski" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On today's ride I must have pulled out 10 times out of my Speedplays (X). None of these were
> during sprints, but rather just when spinning. Only have about 2300 km on the pedals.
> Ideas/suggesations?

Assuming that this is a new problem, my guess is that you need to lube the retaining wire springs in
the cleats. You might need to actually take off the aluminum outer layer of the cleat and clean the
gunk and grit out of the cleats, too.
 
P

Psycholist

Guest
I've been riding Speedplay pedals for 7 years now -- many, many, many thousands of miles and many,
many, many town limit, county line and stop ahead sign sprints. I've never pulled out of my
Speedplays, nor have I ever known of anyone else who has (and I know plenty of folks who ride them).
Of course I'm not challenging you that it happened, but I suspect, as others have said, that you've
overlooked something significant in the maintenance or setup of the cleats. As they've suggested,
check that the cleats are clean and the springs are operating freely. Here's something VERY
important. The instructions tell you that when you're putting in those screws that have the blue
Loctite on them you should put them in to the point where you feel resistance and then turn them an
additional 1/4 turn. They warn you not to overtighten. DON'T OVERTIGHTEN! If you do, you'll restrict
movement of the springs -- and those springs are what lock into the grooves on the lollipops. The
typical symptom of having the screws too tight is that you get clipped in and you can't get clipped
back out. But I can see how the springs could open with the twist of your foot and not shut back
down properly if the outer plate is too tight. Check those screws!

Bob C.

"Stan Lipnowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On today's ride I must have pulled out 10 times out of my Speedplays (X). None of these were
> during sprints, but rather just when spinning. Only
have
> about 2300 km on the pedals. Ideas/suggesations? Stan
 
S

Stan Lipnowski

Guest
The retaining wires were quite recently lubed, but I will take them apart and clean out any grit.
Thanks for your suggestions. Stan "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Stan Lipnowski" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On today's ride I must have pulled out 10 times out of my Speedplays (X). None of these were
> > during sprints, but rather just when spinning. Only have about 2300 km on the pedals.
> > Ideas/suggesations?
>
> Assuming that this is a new problem, my guess is that you need to lube the retaining wire springs
> in the cleats. You might need to actually take off the aluminum outer layer of the cleat and clean
> the gunk and grit out of the cleats, too.
 
A

Appkiller

Guest
Rick:

I have worn out a pair of X3's in three years (about 2000 miles of riding) and had the same pair
of X2's for four years (10,000+ miles and still going strong) and I have never pulled out of
either pair.

I concur with the suggestions to check your cleats.

App
 
W

Woogoogle

Guest
[email protected] (Rick Warner) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> If you knew me then you would know someone. I have 2 pairs of X/2's and a pair of X/3's. Never
> have the problem on the X/2's, but have it regularly on the
> X/3's, all with the same pair of Sidi shoes and cleats. Just replaced the cleats (hell, with 3
> pair of pedals, I had a spare cleat set); problem persists. Of course, I had already decided
> to never buy X/3's again (had another pair grind to a premature death in just over 3K miles
> of use).
>
> - rick warner

I had this happen to me on X/3's but Speedplay warrantied them for me. It turns out these *need* to
be lubricated quite regularly if one reads the instruction manual.
 
M

Mark McMaster

Guest
Rick Warner wrote:
> "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>I've been riding Speedplay pedals for 7 years now -- many, many, many thousands of miles and
>>many, many, many town limit, county line and stop ahead sign sprints. I've never pulled out of
>>my Speedplays, nor have I ever known of anyone else who has (and I know plenty of folks who
>>ride them).
>
>
> If you knew me then you would know someone. I have 2 pairs of X/2's and a pair of X/3's. Never
> have the problem on the X/2's, but have it regularly on the
> X/3's, all with the same pair of Sidi shoes and cleats. Just replaced the cleats (hell, with 3
> pair of pedals, I had a spare cleat set); problem persists. Of course, I had already decided
> to never buy X/3's again (had another pair grind to a premature death in just over 3K miles
> of use).

The Speedplay X/3 is purposely designed for an easier (smaller angle of rotation) release:

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.xspecs

Mark McMaster [email protected]
 
R

Rick Warner

Guest
[email protected] (Appkiller) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Rick:
>
> I have worn out a pair of X3's in three years (about 2000 miles of riding) and had the same pair
> of X2's for four years (10,000+ miles and still going strong) and I have never pulled out of
> either pair.
>
> I concur with the suggestions to check your cleats.

If you check my posting you will note I not only checked, but replaced the cleats. X/3's still pull
out, X/2's do not.

- rick warner
 
R

Rick Warner

Guest
[email protected] (WooGoogle) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Rick Warner) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
> >. Of course, I had already decided to never buy X/3's again (had another pair grind to a
> > premature death in just over 3K miles of use).
> >
> > - rick warner
>
> I had this happen to me on X/3's but Speedplay warrantied them for me. It turns out these *need*
> to be lubricated quite regularly if one reads the instruction manual.

Is once/1K often enough? I was fanatical in lubing those suckers. SpeedPlay offered a replacement, I
wanted credit towards X/2, but no go, so I just coughed up for the X/2's out of my own pocket. Not
only did the X/3 tank, but is did so 30 miles from no place; pedal would lock, then break free, then
lock, etc. Did 30 miles with a lot of it using just the left leg. LBS owner said it was rather
common for the X/3's to tank early, and said he would not recommend them. Of course, his employee
was the one who recommended the X series, and told me that the only difference between X/2 and X/3
was the spindle material. Should have waited and researched more, but .... Now it is a few years
later and I am wiser. Sad thing is, I bought that 2nd pair of X/3's before the first died, so I am
still stuck with one pair.

- rick warner
 
D

Dougc

Guest
Mark McMaster <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Rick Warner wrote:
> > "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> >>I've been riding Speedplay pedals for 7 years now -- many, many, many thousands of miles and
> >>many, many, many town limit, county line and stop ahead sign sprints. I've never pulled out of
> >>my Speedplays, nor have I ever known of anyone else who has (and I know plenty of folks who ride
> >>them).
> >
> >
> > If you knew me then you would know someone. I have 2 pairs of X/2's and a pair of X/3's. Never
> > have the problem on the X/2's, but have it regularly on the
> > X/3's, all with the same pair of Sidi shoes and cleats. Just replaced the cleats (hell, with 3
> > pair of pedals, I had a spare cleat set); problem persists. Of course, I had already decided
> > to never buy X/3's again (had another pair grind to a premature death in just over 3K miles of
> > use).
>
> The Speedplay X/3 is purposely designed for an easier (smaller angle of rotation) release:
>
> http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.xspecs
>
> Mark McMaster [email protected]

I did not realize until last weekend that Speedplays were so maintenance-intensive. One of the
riders I was with on Sunday mentioned that unless he regularly cleaned and lubed his pedals that he
had trouble unclipping. Another rider who uses Speedplays agreed that this was his experience, too.
I use the cheapest Look pedals available and have done no maintenance to them in 1 1/2 years. Oddly
enough, the cheap resin Look pedals are lighter than all but the most expensive models and they seem
to work just fine. The only time I came unclipped unintentionally was when my cleats were worn out.
 
O

Otto

Guest
>> >
>> >>I've been riding Speedplay pedals for 7 years now -- many, many, many thousands of miles and
>> >>many, many, many town limit, county line and stop ahead sign sprints. I've never pulled out of
>> >>my Speedplays, nor have I ever known of anyone else who has (and I know plenty of folks who
>> >>ride them).
>> >

Another vote in favor of Speedplays... I switched from Look to Speedplays when I got my new ride,
and I'm very happy with the switch. They're much easier to get into and out of than Look, an
important safety feature when you're riding on urban streets. I'd fallen over more than once with
Look, and often had a hard time getting into the pedals at a green light. As for durability, I guess
I'll find out for myself.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.