Pump for 2002 Trek 5200

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Techrunner, May 4, 2003.

  1. Techrunner

    Techrunner Guest

    Can anyone recommend a good mini-pump for my 2002 Trek 5200?

  2. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

  3. Techrunner wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a good mini-pump for my 2002 Trek 5200?
    >
    > --

    5200's only accept carbon pumps. Don't put an aluminum pump on that frame or cathodic action will
    decompose the tube bonds.

    Barry

  4. > Can anyone recommend a good mini-pump for my 2002 Trek 5200?

    The only pump I've found to work really well (and easily fits to the 5200) is the Blackburn AirStik.
    It's fairly light, small, mounts off to the side of the bottle cage, and, if you're patient enough,
    will keep pumping past 130psi. Very few pumps can actually do that. The acid test is to take a fully
    inflated tire (120psi), attach the mini-pump, and see if you can still put air into the tire. Many
    pumps which claim they can handle higher pressures will *not* pass this test; they'll either leak,
    blow a seal, or simply not allow you to physically do it.

  5. Glhudson1

    Glhudson1 Guest

    >> Can anyone recommend a good mini-pump for my 2002 Trek 5200?

    trek has produced a new frame pump to fit their carbon frames. check your local tred dealer.

    gary