Pump Peg: where can I buy one?

ABG

Jul 7, 2006
I just bought a Roadie frame pump, which is a classic-style full-size frame pump that is capable of pumping to high pressure without much difficulty. I have used this same pump before my bike got stolen, along with the pump on the frame. The pump comes with no Velcro straps, bracket, or other means to attach the pump to the bike. However, it comes with a hole on one end of the pump to fit into a "pump peg." A pump peg, apparently, is a little brazed-on knob on the rear of the head tube for holding a pump with a hole in the right place. Needless to say, my bikes don't have these "pump pegs" on the frame - apparently it's quite uncommon for modern bikes to have a pump peg at all.

I browsed the web to see what the solution to this is, and apparently one can buy a plastic "pump peg," which is a zip tie you can attach to your head tube with a peg on it. I went into a LBS in Boston and asked if they had this, and they had no idea what I was talking about. I did an Internet search for a pump peg and all I found was a company located overseas in the UK which will sell me one for a high shipping fee. I will check an LBS in my town, but something tells me nobody carries these things. Planet Bike really should have provided a pump peg with their pump, but since they didn't, where can I buy one of these plastic pump pegs? I searched web forums about this topic, and all the posts about where to buy a pump peg are old, broken links.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ABG said:
I just bought a Roadie frame pump, which is a classic-style full-size frame pump that is capable of pumping to high pressure without much difficulty. I have used this same pump before my bike got stolen, along with the pump on the frame. The pump comes with no Velcro straps, bracket, or other means to attach the pump to the bike. However, it comes with a hole on one end of the pump to fit into a "pump peg." A pump peg, apparently, is a little brazed-on knob on the rear of the head tube for holding a pump with a hole in the right place. Needless to say, my bikes don't have these "pump pegs" on the frame - apparently it's quite uncommon for modern bikes to have a pump peg at all.
Pump pegs have become scarce ever since Zefal figured out (in the early 80s) that they could sell MORE pumps (well, make the LBS stock more units) if they sold 'frame fit' pumps ... which is the type that you have linked to ... so, by the late 80s, I think you would only find a pump peg included on a custom frame.

What size frame are you riding?

What is the length of the compressed pump that you got/ordered ... did you see that there are three different sizes? Do you have it in front of you or is it in transit?
ABG said:
I browsed the web to see what the solution to this is, and apparently one can buy a plastic "pump peg," which is a zip tie you can attach to your head tube with a peg on it. I went into a LBS in Boston and asked if they had this, and they had no idea what I was talking about. I did an Internet search for a pump peg and all I found was a company located overseas in the UK which will sell me one for a high shipping fee. I will check an LBS in my town, but something tells me nobody carries these things. Planet Bike really should have provided a pump peg with their pump, but since they didn't, where can I buy one of these plastic pump pegs? I searched web forums about this topic, and all the posts about where to buy a pump peg are old, broken links.
If you really need a "peg" you should look on eBay for a SILCA or Campagnolo pump cradle (presuming you are riding on a steel frame) ...

What type of frame are you riding?

alfeng said:
Pump pegs have become scarce ever since Zefal figured out (in the early 80s) that they could sell MORE pumps (well, make the LBS stock more units) if they sold 'frame fit' pumps ... which is the type that you have linked to ... so, by the late 80s, I think you would only find a pump peg included on a custom frame.

What size frame are you riding?
I am riding a Felt SR91. I believe it's a 53 cm road-geometry aluminum frame. I ordered the medium-length frame-fit pump, which does indeed fit right, since I'm usually a "medium-size person" in everything anyway. I prefer these sorts of pumps because it is rather big and seems capable of pumping to high pressure. Every single "mini pump" I have owned requires great difficulty and frustration just to pump a tire up to a minimum pressure where you won't be riding a flat.

I have received this pump in the mail and I did put it underneath the top tube and it's being held in with the spring inside the pump which is pressed against the frame. I suppose I could just Velcro it to the tube, but it apparently has a hole to fit into a "pump peg," according to the packaging. I suppose I could even just attach it by zip ties and use perhaps my keys to saw off the plastic ties once I get a flat on the road and need to use it.

I did find a vendor in the US that sells a zip-tie pump peg. I believe that nub-thingy is indeed the "peg." I might order that. But I'll look into these pump cradles you refer to. So far I did a search on those terms and yielded nothing, although there are certainly a lot of third-party pump brackets and fastening mechanisms out there. Or, again, I'll just use zip ties I have around.

ABG said:
I did find a vendor in the US that sells a zip-tie pump peg. I believe that nub-thingy is indeed the "peg." I might order that. But I'll look into these pump cradles you refer to. So far I did a search on those terms and yielded nothing, although there are certainly a lot of third-party pump brackets and fastening mechanisms out there. Or, again, I'll just use zip ties I have around.

I think you'd regret using zip ties. They may not be so easy to cut with a key, and there's always the potential for marring the frame with a key that's slipped. Besides, if you've had to use the pump, you won't have zip ties for the rest of the ride anyway.

If it fits fine with a frame fit, let it be; otherwise a velcro strap would be much better than zip ties.

ABG said:

Thanks in advance for your help.
Take a quick trip to the local radio shack or anywhere that sells home theater systems that have lots of cables - you should be able to get a fairly large velcro strap that threads through an oval eyelet that'll make getting it tight pretty easy and ensure that it stays tight. Should cost about $1.

Failing that, someone like Topeak might sell "spares" as their frame pumps come with them.

swampy1970 said:
Take a quick trip to the local radio shack or anywhere that sells home theater systems that have lots of cables - you should be able to get a fairly large velcro strap that threads through an oval eyelet that'll make getting it tight pretty easy and ensure that it stays tight. Should cost about $1.

Failing that, someone like Topeak might sell "spares" as their frame pumps come with them.
I've ridden some off-road as well as regular road riding, and the frame-fit pump has stayed in place underneath the top tube. So I'm in no hurry to secure the pump because it seems to do well on its own. Call me stupid, but the packaging should actually say how to attach the pump to your bike, and that no additional equipment or brackets are necessary. It didn't say, so I assumed the hole for a pump peg had something to do with securing it.