Pump recommendations

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Cheryl, Dec 12, 2005.

  1. Cheryl

    Cheryl Guest

    Hi all,

    Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
    I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
    Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?

    Advice to a new cyclist welcomed, thanks.

    Cheryl

    Tags:

  2. Marz

    Marz Guest

    Cheryl wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
    > I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
    > Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?
    >
    > Advice to a new cyclist welcomed, thanks.
    >
    > Cheryl

    If you hadn't have said 'stoppit!' I would have started something about
    sprouts.

    Anyway, is this pump for a road bike or mountain bike? Either way I've
    always used Blackburn ( http://www.blackburndesign.com/ ) pumps as
    they're pretty reliable and you can service them yourself. For my road
    bike I have a frame pump as I feel it's easier reach higher pressures
    with it and for my mountain bike I have a mini pump which fits in my
    backpack. I don't fix my mini pump to the frame because if I need to
    use it I don't want it covered in mud.

    Laters,

    Marz

  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Cheryl wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
    > I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
    > Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?

    A mini pump can't shift the volumes of air that a less mini pump
    does, so it won't be as good.

    As a consequence of this unfortunate fact, many cyclists have two
    pumps: a workshop pump for use at home and something more portable
    for emergencies on the move. A workshop or track pump has a large
    barrel and a long action to shift air. They look like ACME
    dynamite plungers from Roadrunner cartoons, and typically start at
    about £15 (they occasionally crop up for less). They'll get tyres
    to pressure in seconds with little effort, and are much the best
    for use at home. Make sure the connection head supplied does your
    choice of valves easily and without adaptors. Twin or smart heads
    that do either type of common valve are good.

    For a good mini pump I'll leave it to others. I have an SKS one
    that's okay, but nothing gobsmacking enough that I'll particularly
    recommend it. With the track pump at home and good tyres that are
    rarely punctured I hardly use it.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  4. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

  5. Cheryl wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a good pump?

    If you have a frame that fits, you're better off with a frame pump (Zefal
    HPX are triffic and come in 3 sizes). Otherwise... dunno; all the pocket
    pumps I've used have been crap in some way or another. But -- this being
    URC -- someone is about to prove me wrong.

    > (stoppit!)

    It wouldn't have occurred to me if you hadn't mentioned it. ;-)

  6. On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 19:23:41 GMT, Cheryl <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
    >I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
    >Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?

    I have two pumps and am delighted with the performance of both:

    Topeak Master Blaster Peak DX £16.99 from Wiggle
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.asp....aspx&Cat=cycle&w=0&CategoryName=Pumps - Mini
    http://tinyurl.com/7suft

    Topeak Joe Blow Sport £29.99 from Wiggle
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.asp...aspx&Cat=cycle&w=0&CategoryName=Pumps - Floor
    http://tinyurl.com/d2bd6

    The Master Blaster stays on my bike. It pumps to 60psi with ease. It
    can take a couple of goes to get it to fit the valve correctly.

    The Joe Blow is too big to carry about on a bike. I have, in the
    past, pumped up half a dozen children's bikes' tyres at the start of a
    training session. As a bonus it has two adaptors, one will allow it
    to inflate soccer or rugby balls, the other will inflate something
    else which I have yet to discover. It will easily pump to 100psi - I
    haven't needed to pump higher.

  7. Bertie Wiggins wrote:

    > As a bonus it has two adaptors, one will allow it
    > to inflate soccer or rugby balls, the other will inflate something
    > else which I have yet to discover.

    I think the yellow conical adapter is for inflatable things like li-lo's and
    paddling pools.

  8. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Cheryl wrote:

    > Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?

    Road or MTB?

    Mini pump that does 120PSI for a road bike? No. Just buy
    a Zefal HPX.

    For a MTB, I have a Blackburn Mammoth (fat body so it shifts
    more air) and it's not bad. That's about as good as minipumps
    get in my book. It does 45PSI quickly, and since that's the most
    I run by MTB tyres at, that's good for me.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune

  9. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Cheryl
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
    > I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
    > Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?

    I have, like, and use Blackburn Airsticks. In fact I like them so much I
    have four, one for each bike, including the mountain bikes. However if
    your bike has fatter, lower pressure tyres like a mountain bike, you're
    actually better off with Blackburn's Mammoth model (actually no bigger
    overall, but higher volume). The Blackburn models are fully serviceable
    and you can get replacement parts for anything that wears out (although
    in my experience nothing does).

    The other make I'd recommend is the Topeak Morphs - either the Road Morph
    model if you have skinny, high pressure tyres or the Mountain Morph if
    you have fatter, lower pressure tyres.

    Pumps are another of those areas where buying cheap is a false economy.
    Even very good pumps aren't expensive, and the last thing you want when
    you've got a puncture at the side of the road when it's raining and
    getting dark is to find your pump doesn't work.

    The Conservative Party is now dead. The corpse may still be
    twitching, but resurrection is not an option - unless Satan
    chucks them out of Hell as too objectionable even for him.

  10. Bertie Wiggins wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 19:23:41 GMT, Cheryl <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
    >> I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
    >> Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?

    > I have two pumps and am delighted with the performance of both:
    >
    > Topeak Master Blaster Peak DX £16.99 from Wiggle

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.asp....aspx&Cat=cycle&w=0&CategoryName=Pumps - Mini
    > http://tinyurl.com/7suft

    Same page, halfway down on the left, is the Topeak Mountain Morph. Not a
    pocket pump, but neat, and an excellent inflater, working like a mini track
    pump.
    --

    Martin Bulmer

  11. mb

    mb Guest

    Cheryl wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
    > I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
    > Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?
    >
    > Advice to a new cyclist welcomed, thanks.

    I've got 3 of these (GP-05, middle):
    http://www.giyo.com.tw/prod07.htm#GP-05

    Mini pump to carry on the bikes, I find them very good quality. The
    shop I use sells them for 10.50 Euros. Holland, sorry...

    I would prolly trust other pumps by the same people.

    --
    Mike

  12. Steve W

    Steve W Guest

    Topeak Mountain Morph is the one i use and find it more than satisfactory

    SW

    "Cheryl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
    > I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
    > Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?
    >
    > Advice to a new cyclist welcomed, thanks.
    >
    > Cheryl

  13. POHB

    POHB Guest

    Track pumps are fab for use at home.
    In the emergency bag I've got a Specialized mini pump, which I though was
    fab when I first got it because it pumps on both the push and pull and the
    old fashioned frame pumps I used to have didn't do that. Maybe they all do
    now? However I'm not so keen anymore because I don't like the way it is
    easy to strain the valve as it attaches without one of those little hoses.
    Also I think it is about to wear out coz it has started "missing" on some
    strokes like the plunger isn't making a proper seal.

  14. LSMike

    LSMike Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>, Cheryl
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    > > Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
    > > I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
    > > Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?

    > I have, like, and use Blackburn Airsticks. In fact I like them so much I
    > have four, one for each bike, including the mountain bikes. However if
    > your bike has fatter, lower pressure tyres like a mountain bike, you're
    > actually better off with Blackburn's Mammoth model (actually no bigger
    > overall, but higher volume). The Blackburn models are fully serviceable
    > and you can get replacement parts for anything that wears out (although
    > in my experience nothing does).

    I'll second Simon's recommendation, I got an Airstick as a result of a
    previous recommendation by him, and it's excellent. Perfect for
    putting in the rack bag on my 'bent.

    Mike.

    (Recumbent bent bent bent bent bent bent. :p )

  15. LSMike

    LSMike Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>, Cheryl
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    > > Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
    > > I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
    > > Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?

    > I have, like, and use Blackburn Airsticks. In fact I like them so much I
    > have four, one for each bike, including the mountain bikes. However if
    > your bike has fatter, lower pressure tyres like a mountain bike, you're
    > actually better off with Blackburn's Mammoth model (actually no bigger
    > overall, but higher volume). The Blackburn models are fully serviceable
    > and you can get replacement parts for anything that wears out (although
    > in my experience nothing does).

    I'll second Simon's recommendation, I got an Airstick as a result of a
    previous recommendation by him, and it's excellent, good quality.
    Perfect for putting in the rack bag on my 'bent, and it pumps up to
    120psi just fine, though it does take a lot of strokes, that's to be
    expected.

    Mike.

    (Recumbent bent bent bent bent bent bent. :p )

  16. Alex Potter

    Alex Potter Guest

    Cheryl wrote on Monday 12 December 2005 19:23:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
    > I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
    > Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?
    >
    > Advice to a new cyclist welcomed, thanks.
    >
    > Cheryl

    As others have said, Topeak Mountain Morph is a first-rate pump.
    --
    Regards
    Alex

  17. sothach

    sothach Guest

    Simon Bennett wrote:
    > Cheryl wrote:
    >
    > > Can anyone recommend a good pump?

    > If you have a frame that fits, you're better off with a frame pump (Zefal
    > HPX are triffic and come in 3 sizes).

    Second that. The Zefal is about the best portable pump I've used, very
    well made and pumps you up in a jiff. I've a #1 which fits on the
    frame very securely. I dunno about the other sizes, but the should be
    good.

    > > (stoppit!)

    > It wouldn't have occurred to me if you hadn't mentioned it. ;-)

    fnah! fnah!

  18. In article <[email protected]>, Cheryl
    ([email protected]) wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
    > I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
    > Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?
    >
    > Advice to a new cyclist welcomed, thanks.

    The Topeak Road Morph is a Splendid Thing.

    The thing about Tony Parsons, though, the defining aspect of his
    personality, is that he is a complete twat.

  19. davek

    davek Guest

    sothach wrote:
    > > If you have a frame that fits, you're better off with a frame pump (Zefal
    > > HPX are triffic and come in 3 sizes).

    > Second that

    Third it.

    I got mine after finding myself up shit creek one day, faced with
    having to carry my bike several miles home - fortunately, I was near
    enough a bike shop to get myself out of trouble. I needed a new pump
    anyway for on-the-road use, and since the HPX had been recommended in
    URC several times, I bought one. Fantastic. Five minutes after paying
    for the pump and a new inner tube, I was back on the road with tyres at
    full pressure. Very glad I didn't compromise by buying something
    cheaper.

    The HPX actually gets my tyres to higher pressure than the relatively
    cheap Beto track pump (ten quid off ebay) that I keep at home, so in
    fact the track pump is now redundant.

    d.

  20. daren

    daren Guest

    If you want _small_ light (115g) minipump, for Road I use a Topeak
    Pocket Rocket Master Blaster. tiny, light and well made. Truly filts in
    the pocket. Needs lots of strokes but works to 100psi. Came top in a C+
    test - if that matters to you :)

    Have used older Blackburn airsticks, but they broke and I couldn't get
    spares (despite lifetime warranty). The T-bar handle is a nice to have.

    If you want bigger more robust one pump fits all, then Road/MTB Morph
    are the way to go (as others have recommended). These have to be
    attached to the frame.

    regards,
    daren
    --