Pump recommendations

Cheryl

Guest
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?

Advice to a new cyclist welcomed, thanks.

Cheryl

Cheryl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
> I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
> Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?
>
> Advice to a new cyclist welcomed, thanks.
>
> Cheryl

If you hadn't have said 'stoppit!' I would have started something about
sprouts.

Anyway, is this pump for a road bike or mountain bike? Either way I've
always used Blackburn ( http://www.blackburndesign.com/ ) pumps as
they're pretty reliable and you can service them yourself. For my road
bike I have a frame pump as I feel it's easier reach higher pressures
with it and for my mountain bike I have a mini pump which fits in my
backpack. I don't fix my mini pump to the frame because if I need to
use it I don't want it covered in mud.

Laters,

Marz

Cheryl wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
> I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
> Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?

A mini pump can't shift the volumes of air that a less mini pump
does, so it won't be as good.

As a consequence of this unfortunate fact, many cyclists have two
pumps: a workshop pump for use at home and something more portable
for emergencies on the move. A workshop or track pump has a large
barrel and a long action to shift air. They look like ACME
dynamite plungers from Roadrunner cartoons, and typically start at
about £15 (they occasionally crop up for less). They'll get tyres
to pressure in seconds with little effort, and are much the best
for use at home. Make sure the connection head supplied does your
choice of valves easily and without adaptors. Twin or smart heads
that do either type of common valve are good.

For a good mini pump I'll leave it to others. I have an SKS one
that's okay, but nothing gobsmacking enough that I'll particularly
recommend it. With the track pump at home and good tyres that are
rarely punctured I hardly use it.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Cheryl wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good pump?

If you have a frame that fits, you're better off with a frame pump (Zefal
HPX are triffic and come in 3 sizes). Otherwise... dunno; all the pocket
pumps I've used have been **** in some way or another. But -- this being
URC -- someone is about to prove me wrong.

> (stoppit!)

It wouldn't have occurred to me if you hadn't mentioned it. ;-)

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 19:23:41 GMT, Cheryl <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
>I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
>Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?

I have two pumps and am delighted with the performance of both:

Topeak Master Blaster Peak DX £16.99 from Wiggle
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.asp....aspx&Cat=cycle&w=0&CategoryName=Pumps - Mini
http://tinyurl.com/7suft

Topeak Joe Blow Sport £29.99 from Wiggle
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.asp...aspx&Cat=cycle&w=0&CategoryName=Pumps - Floor
http://tinyurl.com/d2bd6

The Master Blaster stays on my bike. It pumps to 60psi with ease. It
can take a couple of goes to get it to fit the valve correctly.

The Joe Blow is too big to carry about on a bike. I have, in the
past, pumped up half a dozen children's bikes' tyres at the start of a
training session. As a bonus it has two adaptors, one will allow it
to inflate soccer or rugby balls, the other will inflate something
else which I have yet to discover. It will easily pump to 100psi - I
haven't needed to pump higher.

Bertie Wiggins wrote:

> As a bonus it has two adaptors, one will allow it
> to inflate soccer or rugby balls, the other will inflate something
> else which I have yet to discover.

I think the yellow conical adapter is for inflatable things like li-lo's and
paddling pools.

Cheryl wrote:

> Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?

Road or MTB?

Mini pump that does 120PSI for a road bike? No. Just buy
a Zefal HPX.

For a MTB, I have a Blackburn Mammoth (fat body so it shifts
more air) and it's not bad. That's about as good as minipumps
get in my book. It does 45PSI quickly, and since that's the most
I run by MTB tyres at, that's good for me.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune

in message <[email protected]>, Cheryl
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
> I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
> Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?

I have, like, and use Blackburn Airsticks. In fact I like them so much I
have four, one for each bike, including the mountain bikes. However if
your bike has fatter, lower pressure tyres like a mountain bike, you're
actually better off with Blackburn's Mammoth model (actually no bigger
overall, but higher volume). The Blackburn models are fully serviceable
and you can get replacement parts for anything that wears out (although
in my experience nothing does).

The other make I'd recommend is the Topeak Morphs - either the Road Morph
model if you have skinny, high pressure tyres or the Mountain Morph if
you have fatter, lower pressure tyres.

Pumps are another of those areas where buying cheap is a false economy.
Even very good pumps aren't expensive, and the last thing you want when
you've got a puncture at the side of the road when it's raining and
getting dark is to find your pump doesn't work.

The Conservative Party is now dead. The corpse may still be
twitching, but resurrection is not an option - unless Satan
chucks them out of Hell as too objectionable even for him.

Bertie Wiggins wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 19:23:41 GMT, Cheryl <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
>> I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
>> Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?

> I have two pumps and am delighted with the performance of both:
>
> Topeak Master Blaster Peak DX £16.99 from Wiggle

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.asp....aspx&Cat=cycle&w=0&CategoryName=Pumps - Mini
> http://tinyurl.com/7suft

Same page, halfway down on the left, is the Topeak Mountain Morph. Not a
pocket pump, but neat, and an excellent inflater, working like a mini track
pump.
--

Martin Bulmer

Cheryl wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
> I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
> Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?
>
> Advice to a new cyclist welcomed, thanks.

I've got 3 of these (GP-05, middle):
http://www.giyo.com.tw/prod07.htm#GP-05

Mini pump to carry on the bikes, I find them very good quality. The
shop I use sells them for 10.50 Euros. Holland, sorry...

I would prolly trust other pumps by the same people.

--
Mike

Topeak Mountain Morph is the one i use and find it more than satisfactory

SW

"Cheryl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
> I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
> Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?
>
> Advice to a new cyclist welcomed, thanks.
>
> Cheryl

Track pumps are fab for use at home.
In the emergency bag I've got a Specialized mini pump, which I though was
fab when I first got it because it pumps on both the push and pull and the
old fashioned frame pumps I used to have didn't do that. Maybe they all do
now? However I'm not so keen anymore because I don't like the way it is
easy to strain the valve as it attaches without one of those little hoses.
Also I think it is about to wear out coz it has started "missing" on some
strokes like the plunger isn't making a proper seal.

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Cheryl
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
> > I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
> > Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?

> I have, like, and use Blackburn Airsticks. In fact I like them so much I
> have four, one for each bike, including the mountain bikes. However if
> your bike has fatter, lower pressure tyres like a mountain bike, you're
> actually better off with Blackburn's Mammoth model (actually no bigger
> overall, but higher volume). The Blackburn models are fully serviceable
> and you can get replacement parts for anything that wears out (although
> in my experience nothing does).

I'll second Simon's recommendation, I got an Airstick as a result of a
previous recommendation by him, and it's excellent. Perfect for
putting in the rack bag on my 'bent.

Mike.

(Recumbent bent bent bent bent bent bent. :p )

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Cheryl
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
> > I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
> > Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?

> I have, like, and use Blackburn Airsticks. In fact I like them so much I
> have four, one for each bike, including the mountain bikes. However if
> your bike has fatter, lower pressure tyres like a mountain bike, you're
> actually better off with Blackburn's Mammoth model (actually no bigger
> overall, but higher volume). The Blackburn models are fully serviceable
> and you can get replacement parts for anything that wears out (although
> in my experience nothing does).

I'll second Simon's recommendation, I got an Airstick as a result of a
previous recommendation by him, and it's excellent, good quality.
Perfect for putting in the rack bag on my 'bent, and it pumps up to
120psi just fine, though it does take a lot of strokes, that's to be
expected.

Cheryl wrote on Monday 12 December 2005 19:23:

> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
> I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
> Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?
>
> Advice to a new cyclist welcomed, thanks.
>
> Cheryl

As others have said, Topeak Mountain Morph is a first-rate pump.
--
Regards
Alex

Simon Bennett wrote:
> Cheryl wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend a good pump?

> If you have a frame that fits, you're better off with a frame pump (Zefal
> HPX are triffic and come in 3 sizes).

Second that. The Zefal is about the best portable pump I've used, very
well made and pumps you up in a jiff. I've a #1 which fits on the
frame very securely. I dunno about the other sizes, but the should be
good.

> > (stoppit!)

> It wouldn't have occurred to me if you hadn't mentioned it. ;-)

fnah! fnah!

In article <[email protected]>, Cheryl
([email protected]) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone recommend a good pump? (stoppit!)
> I have recently bought one online and it is truely awful.
> Am I going to find a decent mini or pocket pump?
>
> Advice to a new cyclist welcomed, thanks.

The Topeak Road Morph is a Splendid Thing.

The thing about Tony Parsons, though, the defining aspect of his
personality, is that he is a complete ****.

sothach wrote:
> > If you have a frame that fits, you're better off with a frame pump (Zefal
> > HPX are triffic and come in 3 sizes).

> Second that

Third it.

I got mine after finding myself up **** creek one day, faced with
having to carry my bike several miles home - fortunately, I was near
enough a bike shop to get myself out of trouble. I needed a new pump
anyway for on-the-road use, and since the HPX had been recommended in
URC several times, I bought one. Fantastic. Five minutes after paying
for the pump and a new inner tube, I was back on the road with tyres at
full pressure. Very glad I didn't compromise by buying something
cheaper.

The HPX actually gets my tyres to higher pressure than the relatively
cheap Beto track pump (ten quid off ebay) that I keep at home, so in
fact the track pump is now redundant.

d.

If you want _small_ light (115g) minipump, for Road I use a Topeak
Pocket Rocket Master Blaster. tiny, light and well made. Truly filts in
the pocket. Needs lots of strokes but works to 100psi. Came top in a C+
test - if that matters to you :)

Have used older Blackburn airsticks, but they broke and I couldn't get
spares (despite lifetime warranty). The T-bar handle is a nice to have.

If you want bigger more robust one pump fits all, then Road/MTB Morph
are the way to go (as others have recommended). These have to be
attached to the frame.

regards,
daren
--