pump scratching my carbon frame

Alias

Jun 20, 2006
One of the many things i've been told to carry on my bike is a pump, for that emergency situation. It's a very nice and light pump, it also pumps the tyre up to something that will almost get me home.
The one thing i can do without though is the markings it is leaving on my Giant TCR C2 frame. I had a look today to find that it's rubbed right through the paint work and i'm worried it's going to start on the frame. So the pump has been black booked for now, until i find something i can put on my bike to either repair the damage or bubble wrap the pump!
It looks horrible.

Can the paint work be repaired or can i put something on it to protect it?

Alias said:
One of the many things i've been told to carry on my bike is a pump, for that emergency situation. It's a very nice and light pump, it also pumps the tyre up to something that will almost get me home.
The one thing i can do without though is the markings it is leaving on my Giant TCR C2 frame. I had a look today to find that it's rubbed right through the paint work and i'm worried it's going to start on the frame. So the pump has been black booked for now, until i find something i can put on my bike to either repair the damage or bubble wrap the pump!
It looks horrible.

Is the damage in the clear coat or a painted section

How was the pump mounted to the frame? I carry a CO2 inflator in my wedge on my carbon fiber bike, but I have a pump on my aluminum bike. The pump is mounted to a holder that is bolted to the frame under the water bottle cage (i.e., the same bolts that hold the the bottle cage hold the pump clip). The pump never touches the frame.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=16079

Genuine Innovations seal n' flate
Seal-n-Flate.jpg

$15 a can, solves both your problems. 6 months puncture protection, instant inflation and repair, weighs 130g, cannot beat it.

You can always just put some sticky frame protector or just electrical tape where its rubbing.

My blackburn pump sits in my middle pocket of my jersey. I dont feel it, ever and although its sticks out of the pocket-it has never fallen out.

kleng said:
Is the damage in the clear coat or a painted section
The markings are 250mm from the top of the down tube and about 50mm from the BB, again on the down tube. The pump is mounted off the side of my bidon cage. It doesn't normally touch the frame but the pump can spin around and mark the frame.

See attached photos.

You need,

1) Clean your chain, chainring and the rest of your running gear!!!:eek:
2) Move the mounting position of your pump carrier, or move the pump wrt the carrier.
3) Touch up paint should work fine.

Alias said:
The markings are 250mm from the top of the down tube and about 50mm from the BB, again on the down tube. The pump is mounted off the side of my bidon cage. It doesn't normally touch the frame but the pump can spin around and mark the frame.

See attached photos.
I have the same pump. I mounted mine on the seat tube. I don't use it for road anymore, it is now my MTB pump.

sogood said:
......Touch up paint should work fine.....
Go to any good auto accessories shop (Auto One etc) and get some car touch up paint (if you cant get an 'exact' match, go one shade 'lighter' - your frame looks like its a silver colour ?) - the ones that come in the small tube with the brush in the cap. Also get a small tin of lacquer thinner as well :)

DO NOT use the paint with this brush as it will tend to 'blob' if you get my meaning ;)

Go to an art/hobby shop and get one or two really fine camel hair brushes.

OK, you're ready now ;)

Follow the directions on the paint tube (shake like crazy for 2 mins or so), dip you camel hair brush into the lacquer thinner and then shake out all excess thinner and then get a small amount of paint onto the brush (just from the rim of the container works well). What you're trying to achieve is a VERY small amount of paint plus a bit of thinner onto the brush.

Very gently apply the paint (thinner is better and only do a small section at a time) and allow to dry. REPEAT until the marks are completely gone. Patience and care are virtues during this stage.

Wait 24 hours and gently apply a GOOD quality car polish (Mothers, Meguiars) gently to the painted area and a little beyond.

With a little patience those marks will almost disappear :D

If you can just stick it in your jersey pocket, that'd be your best bet. It's reasons like that that have convinced me not to mount my pump to my frame. If the size of the pump prevents it from fitting well in your jersey pocket, I'd recommend the Crank Bros Minipump.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=4394&subcategory_ID=4361

I bought one and really dig it due to it's small size and low weight. Stick it in my jersey pocket and it doesn't even stick out at all. It takes a little while to inflate, but is VERY effective and won't have to stick on your frame and cause the scratches you're seeing.

I use CO2 and carry it in my middle pocket of my jersey. No sratches on the frame so much faster than a pump. :rolleyes:

rayhuang said:
My blackburn pump sits in my middle pocket of my jersey. I dont feel it, ever and although its sticks out of the pocket-it has never fallen out.

Alias said:
It looks horrible.

I cut a piece of an old tube and placed it in between the pump mount and frame. Keeps the scratches to zero. Although I do not know how to repair or touch up composites.
DSC01335.jpg

ieandro said:
I cut a piece of an old tube and placed it in between the pump mount and frame. Keeps the scratches to zero. Although I do not know how to repair or touch up composites.
DSC01335.jpg

I use nail polish on my carbon TREK scratches. Luckily my bike is red so there are a lot of color choices...have to mix 2 to get it right...

ryanspeer said:
If you can just stick it in your jersey pocket, that'd be your best bet. It's reasons like that that have convinced me not to mount my pump to my frame. If the size of the pump prevents it from fitting well in your jersey pocket, I'd recommend the Crank Bros Minipump.

I bought one and really dig it due to it's small size and low weight. Stick it in my jersey pocket and it doesn't even stick out at all. It takes a little while to inflate, but is VERY effective and won't have to stick on your frame and cause the scratches you're seeing.

I agree. I got tired of my frame pump falling off on bumpy roads and got a Crank Brothers mini pump for my jersey pocket. Love it!

Performance sells velcro straps for mounting pumps. The straps also have a foam pad to prevent scratching the frame.

Alias said:

See attached photos.
I have the same pump and same frame. Make sure the pump sits high enough in the bracket (so the handle end of the pump does not rubs down near the BB) and you just have to watch the head of the pump to make sure it does not rotate towards the down tube. The pump is excellent and worth carrying on the frame. If you ride in the wet you do need to empty water out of the pump from time to time.