Pumped-Out Pistons on Hayes Hydraulic Disc Brakes (Trek Liquid 20)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Michael Slater, Mar 30, 2003.

  1. So the pistons got pumped out on both the front and rear brake of my wife's Trek Liquid 20. This
    bike has Hayes Hydraulic disc brakes. When the pistons get 'pumped out,' there is continual friction
    between pad and disc.

    Reading through the service manual and the online manual
    (http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/pdf/General-45-14575A.pdf), the short answer is to remove the pads
    and then 'walk the pistons back into their bore.'

    Well, much easier said than done. The pads come out easily, but getting the pistons back in the bore
    seems to be impossible. I can get them in, and the rubbing between pad and disc is much reduced, but
    it's still there. The rear brake is more difficult than the front.

    The instructions suggest using 'the box end of a 10mm end wrench.' I used exactly that instrument,
    and it was not clear to me at all how this is the magic implement for doing this. I still am left
    with either a tiny lip of the piston still overhanging the bore, or else one side shoved in
    adequately and the other side poking out terribly. Either way, there is still friction.

    Before I drag this thing back to the shop to get it corrected 100%, does anyone have any suggestions
    about how to do this exercise more effectively?

    It's a really alarming problem, because it's not that unlikely that the brake lever will be thrown
    while the wheels are out (like in the back of my car, for example), and I didn't notice any
    lock-outs on the brake pads or levers to prevent it.

    regards

    [email protected]

    http://karavshin.org

    Tags:

  2. On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 06:57:04 +0000, Michael Slater did issue forth:

    > Reading through the service manual and the online manual
    > (http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/pdf/General-45-14575A.pdf), the short answer is to remove the pads
    > and then 'walk the pistons back into their bore.'
    >
    > Well, much easier said than done. The pads come out easily, but getting the pistons back in the
    > bore seems to be impossible. I can get them in, and the rubbing between pad and disc is much
    > reduced, but it's still there. The rear brake is more difficult than the front.

    I've never worked on a Hayes brake, only on Hopes, but I'd imagine that the same techniques will
    still work. If you use a spanner as suggested, try twisting it instead of pushing it. This way you
    should be able to put pressure on both pistons, not just one.

    If this doesn't do it, it looks like you might have to let some fluid out. Open the bleed nipple
    just a little bit to ease a tiny bit of fluid out, do it back up and try pushing the pistons back
    again. Keep doing this until you get to where you want to be. Hopefully you'll have let out a small
    enough quantity of fluid that you won't have to rebleed the system.

    > It's a really alarming problem, because it's not that unlikely that the brake lever will be thrown
    > while the wheels are out (like in the back of my car, for example), and I didn't notice any
    > lock-outs on the brake pads or levers to prevent it.

    I always pack the caliper out with something if I'm going anywhere with the wheels removed.

  3. Best bet is to bring it into the shop and have one of the mechanics show you how to re-set the brake
    adjustment. Please note that a small amount of drag is normal with disc brakes but, having said
    that, your problem might be that the mechanism is slightly out of alignment. That's an easy thing to
    fix; you loosen the two bolts holding the disc mechanism to the dropout, and, with the wheel in
    place, squeeze the brake lever. Tighten the bolts while the levers are being squeezed, and the
    mechanism will now be aligned (and possibly exhibit less drag).

  4. Tdwfl

    Tdwfl Guest

    >Huw Pritchard" bounceCHECKSIGBEFOREMAIL wrote: >I always pack the caliper out
    with something if I'm going anywhere with
    >the wheels removed.

    Or one can wedge something against the handlebar to keep the brake levers from depressed.

    tim

  5. Chuan Chew

    Chuan Chew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (TDWFL) wrote:

    > >Huw Pritchard" bounceCHECKSIGBEFOREMAIL wrote: >I always pack the caliper out
    > with something if I'm going anywhere with
    > >the wheels removed.
    >
    > Or one can wedge something against the handlebar to keep the brake levers from depressed.

    A box of Prozac?

    --Chuan

    > tim

  6. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    It has been a while since I've been in my Hayes Brakes manual since my set seems to be trouble
    free. IIRC...

    Two situations seem to be being addressed here.

    The pistons may be inadvertently extruded from their bores while the wheel/rotor is removed. ISTR
    this requires a knife-edge to make the first slight separation, followed by a pair of cards and
    finally the 10 mm boxed wrench. I avoid this problem by wedging a small piece of sheet metal in
    place of the rotor as soon as the wheel is removed.

    Disks will touch the rotor during normal use and previous posters have addressed this and its
    minimization.

    I have had high ambient temperatures cause a thermal lock. While the bike was parked on a 100+F day
    and in the sunlight, the master-cylinder heated enough to lock the slave-cylinder. While momentarily
    disconcerting, venting a bit of fluid - from the vent screw on the master-cylinder - cured the
    problem. I try now to do my annual fluid flush and fill on a hot day.

    news:[email protected]...