Pumping tires with shock pump?

Guest
Hi, I have a general question.

Would it be feasible to use a shock pump to pump tires (700x24)? How long
would it take to fill a tire?

I am thinking about acquiring a shock pump for pumping tires as my current
hand pump is not very good. Namely it lacks a gauge and is hard to use
especially at high pressure. Floor and foot pumps are too bulky for my
situation.

Thanks
Peter L.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: Hi, I have a general question.
:
: Would it be feasible to use a shock pump to pump tires (700x24)? How long
: would it take to fill a tire?
:
: I am thinking about acquiring a shock pump for pumping tires as my current
: hand pump is not very good. Namely it lacks a gauge and is hard to use
: especially at high pressure. Floor and foot pumps are too bulky for my
: situation.
:
: Thanks
: Peter L.
:
Topeak Road Morph. Get it for $35 or less. You'll be glad you did.

Pat in TX
:
:

>Would it be feasible to use a shock pump to pump tires (700x24)? How long
>would it take to fill a tire?

If you don't mind spending all day pumping a tire and you don't care
about repetitive stress injuries...

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi, I have a general question.
>
> Would it be feasible to use a shock pump to pump tires (700x24)? How long
> would it take to fill a tire?
>
> I am thinking about acquiring a shock pump for pumping tires as my current
> hand pump is not very good. Namely it lacks a gauge and is hard to use
> especially at high pressure. Floor and foot pumps are too bulky for my
> situation.

I hope you are kidding. Get the Road Morph - Not much bigger than my
shock pump, has a gauge and works very well at high pressure. Mine
pumps up to 120psi easily.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11...ries-37-Pumps/Topeak-Road-Morph-Mini-Pump.htm

$26.98, About the same cost also! Whatever you do, stay away from that
crank brothers pump - it sucks.

-Nate

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 13:26:01 -0800, <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi, I have a general question.
>
>Would it be feasible to use a shock pump to pump tires (700x24)? How long
>would it take to fill a tire?

Longer than with a tire pump. Exactly how much longer depends on the
precise comparison of the two pumps. Figure at least double the time
of a tire pump, and note that they're often heavier than most of the
tire pumps that are designed to mount on the bike.

>I am thinking about acquiring a shock pump for pumping tires as my current
>hand pump is not very good. Namely it lacks a gauge and is hard to use
>especially at high pressure. Floor and foot pumps are too bulky for my
>situation.

Somebody has already mentioned the Topeak Road Morph; I've got one,
and it's both compact and effective...and it has a hose, which keeps
me from worrying about damaging those @#$%^&* Presta valves.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

>Hi, I have a general question.
>Would it be feasible to use a shock pump to pump tires (700x24)? How long
>would it take to fill a tire?

If you started pumping now, it might be filled by thanksgiving. :)

>I am thinking about acquiring a shock pump for pumping tires as my current
>hand pump is not very good. Namely it lacks a gauge and is hard to use
>especially at high pressure. Floor and foot pumps are too bulky for my
>situation.

Get a topeak road morph. It has a gauge and can be used like a mini floor
pump.

Alex