Pumping up tubbies

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by peterwright, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. peterwright

    peterwright New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2003
    I am having problems pumping up my new tubbies. They have valve extensions on but the air comes out as fast as it goes in after about 80 psi so that I cannot get a good pressure in to the tyre ? Is this normal - can anyone help or advise

    Thanks

    Peter

    Tags:

  2. "peterwright" wrote:
    > I am having problems pumping up my new tubbies. They have valve extensions on but the air comes
    > out as fast as it goes in after about 80 psi so that I cannot get a good pressure in to the tyre ?
    > Is this normal

    Not normal. What kind if pump/chuck are you using? Got a good seal between the valve and the chuck?
    Maybe need a new gasket?

    Art Harris

  3. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:32:58 GMT, peterwright
    <[email protected]> may have said:

    >I am having problems pumping up my new tubbies. They have valve extensions on but the air comes out
    >as fast as it goes in after about 80 psi so that I cannot get a good pressure in to the tyre ? Is
    >this normal
    >- can anyone help or advise

    I've had this problem with some Schrader extensions; the only solution was to get different ones or
    leave them off. The Presta extensions that I have seen should not be susceptible to this.

    it's also possible that I'm busy.

  4. Phil Holman

    Phil Holman Guest

    "peterwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am having problems pumping up my new tubbies. They have valve extensions on but the air comes
    > out as fast as it goes in after about
    80
    > psi so that I cannot get a good pressure in to the tyre ? Is this
    normal
    > - can anyone help or advise

    You need to seal the extensions. Use a very small piece of teflon tape and wrap the top treads of
    the valve with a couple of windings. Do this in the clock-wise direction (looking down on the end of
    the valve) so the trailing edge of the tape doesn't lift when screwing on the extension. Also make
    sure the tape doesn't cover the air inlet. Phil Holman

  5. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "peterwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am having problems pumping up my new tubbies. They have valve extensions on but the air comes
    > out as fast as it goes in after about 80 psi so that I cannot get a good pressure in to the tyre ?
    > Is this normal
    > - can anyone help or advise
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Peter

    I get sorta the same problem when I'm using my extenders too. I suspect that you're getting the air
    in, but the gauge isn't registering. I've noticed if you watch the needle's peak reading, it gets
    about that much air into the tires. I just use the peak and ignore the rest.

    Test it out by checking the pressure with a gauge too.

    I usually just use the "thumb test." If it is about "that" hard, I ride it and don't worry about it.

    Mike

  6. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    peterwright <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am having problems pumping up my new tubbies. They have valve extensions on but the air comes
    > out as fast as it goes in after about 80 psi so that I cannot get a good pressure in to the tyre ?
    > Is this normal
    > - can anyone help or advise
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Peter

    Dear Peter,

    If the leak is between the valve stem and the extender, try wrapping the valve stem with teflon
    plumber's tape for a better seal.

    If the leak is between your extender and your pump, either a new pump seal or a better brand
    of extender.

    Good luck,

    Carl Fogel

  7. peterwright

    peterwright New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2003

    Thanks for all the help everyone

    Peter

  8. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 17:37:17 GMT, Werehatrack
    <[email protected]> may have said:

    >I've had this problem with some Schrader extensions; the only solution was to get different ones or
    >leave them off. The Presta extensions that I have seen should not be susceptible to this.

    I should add that if the extensions are plastic, I would ditch them and get brass ones. The plastic
    extensions are for car tires that are never pumped above 40psi, and my experience with them on light
    trucks with 60+psi tires is that they leak at high pressures, and will randomly cause flats.

    it's also possible that I'm busy.

  9. Peter-<< I am having problems pumping up my new tubbies. They have valve extensions on but the air
    comes out as fast as it goes in after about 80 psi so >><BR><BR>

    Teflon tape between the extenders and the valve and a fresh gasket on yer pump.

    Tubbies..Tubies?

  10. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > Peter-<< I am having problems pumping up my new tubbies. They have valve extensions on but the air
    > comes out as fast as it goes in after about 80 psi so >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Teflon tape between the extenders and the valve and a fresh gasket on yer
    pump.

    > Tubbies..Tubies?

    I was hoping he wasn't talking about pumping up those critters on the TV that kids seem to like even
    though Billy Graham don't!

    Mike