Pumping up tubbies

peterwright

New Member
Mar 5, 2003
I am having problems pumping up my new tubbies. They have valve extensions on but the air comes out as fast as it goes in after about 80 psi so that I cannot get a good pressure in to the tyre ? Is this normal - can anyone help or advise

Thanks

Peter

"peterwright" wrote:
> I am having problems pumping up my new tubbies. They have valve extensions on but the air comes
> out as fast as it goes in after about 80 psi so that I cannot get a good pressure in to the tyre ?
> Is this normal

Not normal. What kind if pump/chuck are you using? Got a good seal between the valve and the chuck?
Maybe need a new gasket?

Art Harris

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:32:58 GMT, peterwright
<[email protected]> may have said:

>I am having problems pumping up my new tubbies. They have valve extensions on but the air comes out
>as fast as it goes in after about 80 psi so that I cannot get a good pressure in to the tyre ? Is
>this normal
>- can anyone help or advise

I've had this problem with some Schrader extensions; the only solution was to get different ones or
leave them off. The Presta extensions that I have seen should not be susceptible to this.

it's also possible that I'm busy.

"peterwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am having problems pumping up my new tubbies. They have valve extensions on but the air comes
> out as fast as it goes in after about
80
> psi so that I cannot get a good pressure in to the tyre ? Is this
normal
> - can anyone help or advise

You need to seal the extensions. Use a very small piece of teflon tape and wrap the top treads of
the valve with a couple of windings. Do this in the clock-wise direction (looking down on the end of
the valve) so the trailing edge of the tape doesn't lift when screwing on the extension. Also make
sure the tape doesn't cover the air inlet. Phil Holman

"peterwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am having problems pumping up my new tubbies. They have valve extensions on but the air comes
> out as fast as it goes in after about 80 psi so that I cannot get a good pressure in to the tyre ?
> Is this normal
> - can anyone help or advise
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter

I get sorta the same problem when I'm using my extenders too. I suspect that you're getting the air
in, but the gauge isn't registering. I've noticed if you watch the needle's peak reading, it gets
about that much air into the tires. I just use the peak and ignore the rest.

Test it out by checking the pressure with a gauge too.

I usually just use the "thumb test." If it is about "that" hard, I ride it and don't worry about it.

Mike

peterwright <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am having problems pumping up my new tubbies. They have valve extensions on but the air comes
> out as fast as it goes in after about 80 psi so that I cannot get a good pressure in to the tyre ?
> Is this normal
> - can anyone help or advise
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter

Dear Peter,

If the leak is between the valve stem and the extender, try wrapping the valve stem with teflon
plumber's tape for a better seal.

If the leak is between your extender and your pump, either a new pump seal or a better brand
of extender.

Good luck,

Carl Fogel

Originally posted by Carl Fogel
peterwright <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am having problems pumping up my new tubbies. They have valve extensions on but the air comes
> out as fast as it goes in after about 80 psi so that I cannot get a good pressure in to the tyre ?
> Is this normal
> - can anyone help or advise
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter

Dear Peter,

If the leak is between the valve stem and the extender, try wrapping the valve stem with teflon

plumber's tape for a better seal.

If the leak is between your extender and your pump, either a new pump seal or a better brand
of extender.

Good luck,

Carl Fogel

Thanks for all the help everyone

Peter

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 17:37:17 GMT, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> may have said:

>I've had this problem with some Schrader extensions; the only solution was to get different ones or
>leave them off. The Presta extensions that I have seen should not be susceptible to this.

I should add that if the extensions are plastic, I would ditch them and get brass ones. The plastic
extensions are for car tires that are never pumped above 40psi, and my experience with them on light
trucks with 60+psi tires is that they leak at high pressures, and will randomly cause flats.

it's also possible that I'm busy.

Peter-<< I am having problems pumping up my new tubbies. They have valve extensions on but the air
comes out as fast as it goes in after about 80 psi so >><BR><BR>

Teflon tape between the extenders and the valve and a fresh gasket on yer pump.

Tubbies..Tubies?

> Peter-<< I am having problems pumping up my new tubbies. They have valve extensions on but the air
> comes out as fast as it goes in after about 80 psi so >><BR><BR>
>
> Teflon tape between the extenders and the valve and a fresh gasket on yer
pump.

> Tubbies..Tubies?

I was hoping he wasn't talking about pumping up those critters on the TV that kids seem to like even
though Billy Graham don't!

Mike