pumps

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Styler, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. Styler

    Styler New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2003
    i see more and more cyclists out on the roads without pumps. does everyone have such understanding families that in the case of a puncture 30 miles from home, a quick call on the mobile is all it takes for a warm car to be despatched to the scene?

    ok, so if you use tubs then i understand. and maybe if you're in a group, one of the members of which always carrries a pump. (although i was touring through france a few years ago, the others rode 10 miles till they realised that i must have punctured - it was quite a fast straight road!)

    so, does everyone take a pump with them wherever they go?

    Tags:

  2. Andyp

    Andyp Guest

    "Styler" <[email protected]> wrote

    > so, does everyone take a pump with them wherever they go?

    I wouldn't go far without a pump. I sellotaped my minipump to the frame about a year ago. Haven't
    needed to use it and It hasn't fallen off yet.

  3. > so, does everyone take a pump with them wherever they go?

    I used to, but after the second one got nicked I gave up. Thing is, it was a cheap pump, and the
    atachment to fit it to their Schraeder valves costs more than the pump itself. Twots. Still, I
    suppose if they had a brain they wouldn't be nicking a £2 pump.

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Styler wrote:
    > i see more and more cyclists out on the roads without pumps. does everyone have such understanding
    > families that in the case of a puncture 30 miles from home, a quick call on the mobile is all it
    > takes for a warm car to be despatched to the scene?

    I'm sure there are a lot of silly cyclists out there who never carry a pump but some of the people
    you see might have one - just a mini pump in a bag or mounted besides bottle cage that you don't
    notice. Mini pumps are more popular now despite the fact that they can't work as well as a full size
    frame pump. Some carry CO2 inflators instead.

    > so, does everyone take a pump with them wherever they go?

    I do. Zefal HPX for proper rides, Sapo pocket pump for local trips.

    ~PB

  5. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Styler wrote:

    > so, does everyone take a pump with them wherever they go?

    Almost always, sometimes I forget to switch it to the bike I am using that day !

  6. davebee

    davebee New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2004
    I use a Topeak Mini Master Blaster and that does for me. Light and clips to the frame.

  7. Styler

    Styler New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2003
    >I'm sure there are a lot of silly cyclists out there who never carry a pump but some of the people
    you see might have one - just a mini pump in a bag or mounted besides bottle cage that you don't
    notice. Mini pumps are more popular now despite the fact that they can't work as well as a full size
    frame pump. Some carry CO2 inflators instead.

    i take a mini pump with me everywhere, attchaed to the bottle cage. however, there seem to be loads of serious cyclists without - i'm talking hardened roadies rather than anyone else. i suppose the CO2 canister in the saddle bag might be the best explanation...

  8. Styler wrote:

    > i see more and more cyclists out on the roads without pumps. does everyone have such understanding
    > families that in the case of a puncture 30 miles from home, a quick call on the mobile is all it
    > takes for a warm car to be despatched to the scene?
    >
    > ok, so if you use tubs then i understand. and maybe if you're in a group, one of the members of
    > which always carrries a pump. (although i was touring through france a few years ago, the others
    > rode 10 miles till they realised that i must have punctured - it was quite a fast straight road!)
    >
    > so, does everyone take a pump with them wherever they go?

    On the racing bike and MTB I carry a gas canister. I've only had to use it twice ever (and yes,
    it worked).

  9. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Styler wrote:

    > so, does everyone take a pump with them wherever they go?

    Nearly always. My kit is as follows:

    1 mini pump 1 spare tube 1 puncture repair kit mobile phone (I'd use it to call my wife if all
    else fails -- lord knows whether she'd actually come out and pick me up though)

    I had a puncture today and switched the tube for the spare; then managed to destroy the valve on
    said tube using the mini-pump (broke the valve pin thingy!). So I had to use the repair kit -- this
    left me without a spare for catastrophic tube failures (on a 100km solo ride).

    Anyone know of a good mini-pump which will do a 70-80 psi faitly easily. I know none of them are
    capable of 110.

    Simon

  10. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:

    > On the racing bike and MTB I carry a gas canister. I've only had to use it twice ever (and yes, it
    > worked).

    How much pressure do they deliver?

    Simon

  11. Vernon Levy

    Vernon Levy Guest

    "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Anyone know of a good mini-pump which will do a 70-80 psi faitly easily. I know none of them are
    > capable of 110.

    I use a Crank Brothers 9" alloy Power Pump see:
    http://www.crankbrothers.com/products/pumps_powerpumpalloy.php which has no difficulty in delivering
    110 psi. It has an unusual internal valving system which will deliver high volume low pressure air
    e.g. MTB pressures or low volume high pressure air for road bikes. I'm totally satisfied by it and
    there is a smaller version (6") see: http://www.crankbrothers.com/products/pumps_powerpump.php that
    will deliver a claimed 100 psi. Both pumps carry lifetime gurantees.

    Vernon

  12. In news:[email protected],
    MSeries <[email protected]> expounded sagaciously:
    > Styler wrote:
    >
    >> so, does everyone take a pump with them wherever they go?
    >
    > Almost always, sometimes I forget to switch it to the bike I am using that day !

    Sad, but I have a pump per bike. Only cos I have a crap memory.
    --

    Martin Bulmer

    Pie Conservation Threat

  13. In news:eek:[email protected],
    Styler <[email protected]> expounded sagaciously:
    >> I'm sure there are a lot of silly cyclists out there who never carry a pump but some of
    >> the people
    > you see might have one - just a mini pump in a bag or mounted besides bottle cage that you don't
    > notice. Mini pumps are more popular now despite the fact that they can't work as well as a full
    > size frame pump. Some carry CO2 inflators instead.
    >
    > i take a mini pump with me everywhere, attchaed to the bottle cage. however, there seem to be
    > loads of serious cyclists without - i'm talking hardened roadies rather than anyone else. i
    > suppose the CO2 canister in the saddle bag might be the best explanation...

    I know 2 cyclists who refuse to carry pumps, or any other gear, because of the extra weight. Each of
    them relies on his wife to carry the equipment!! I have been on rides when each has dropped off the
    back, punctured, and the wife just left them to it. Brilliant!!
    --

    Martin Bulmer

    Pie Conservation Threat

  14. Terry

    Terry Guest

    > Anyone know of a good mini-pump which will do a 70-80 psi faitly easily. I know none of them are
    > capable of 110.

    The push/pull action is ok for mtb pressures but very hard for 100+

    A really cheap push only minipump will do it if,as previously mentioned , it is held in a wodge of
    padding of some sort(Your padded shorts if you are really travelling light, or a sock)and the end
    at the valve braced against a piece of rock or wood.I just realised this may not be found so
    easily in town

    I have also recently discovered the expensive delight of co2, but will still carry a cheap minipump.

    Terry

  15. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    >
    > > On the racing bike and MTB I carry a gas canister. I've only had to use it twice ever (and yes,
    > > it worked).
    >
    > How much pressure do they deliver?

    enuf

  16. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Styler wrote:
    > i see more and more cyclists out on the roads without pumps. does everyone have such understanding
    > families that in the case of a puncture 30 miles from home, a quick call on the mobile is all it
    > takes for a warm car to be despatched to the scene?

    With the increasing use of mini pumps you can't really be quite so sure. My "out on the road pump"
    travels inside a pannier, there's no way you could tell if I had it or not (no, it's not as good as
    a frame pump, but OTOH I don't have a conventional frame to put it in, and if a pump's in my luggage
    I don't have an additional thing to dismount when leaving the bike locked).

    > so, does everyone take a pump with them wherever they go?

    There *is* one on the Brompton, but I'm more likely to fold it and get on a bus, to be honest
    (usually used for short local hops and there will be a bus). Anywhere on the 'bent I always have
    one, plus tools and tubes.

    Pete.

    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  17. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Styler <[email protected]> wrote:
    : i see more and more cyclists out on the roads without pumps. does

    I never carry a pump round town. It kept getting nicked. Instead I fitted conti top touring tyres to
    by commuting bike. Very, very hard to puncture. Corner like **** but it's a fixed so that's not a
    great problem :)

    On the other bikes I have a mini-pump attached to the frame. And yes, I find I can get 100 PSI from
    a good mini-pump. The trick is to a) buy the expensive ones and b) choose ones designed for road use
    not MTB use (long and thin not short and fat)

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  18. "Styler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > i see more and more cyclists out on the roads without pumps. does everyone have such understanding
    > families that in the case of a
    puncture
    > 30 miles from home, a quick call on the mobile is all it takes for a warm car to be despatched to
    > the scene?
    >
    > ok, so if you use tubs then i understand. and maybe if you're in a group, one of the members of
    > which always carrries a pump. (although i was touring through france a few years ago, the others
    > rode 10 miles till they realised that i must have punctured - it was quite a fast straight road!)
    >
    > so, does everyone take a pump with them wherever they go?
    >

    > --

    How do you know I haven't got a pump - mine is in my pannier?

  19. Simonb wrote:

    > Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    >

    >>On the racing bike and MTB I carry a gas canister. I've only had to use it twice ever (and yes, it
    >>worked).
    >

    > How much pressure do they deliver?
    >
    > Simon

    Enough for a low-pressure MTB tyre or a narrow high-pressure road tyre. Definitely not enough for a
    fat high-pressure tyre like a S-Lick or a Fat Boy [1], which is why I carry a pump on the touring
    bike (and at 30lb already with mudguards, rack and dynamo lighting, another half pound is neither
    here nor there).

    [1] it got me home once on a Fat Boy, but every time I went over a drain cover I could feel the rim
    touch the road...

  20. On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:19:55 +0000, "A.Lee" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:52:01 +0000, Styler wrote:
    >
    >> i see more and more cyclists out on the roads without pumps.
    >
    >> so, does everyone take a pump with them wherever they go?
    >
    >I do, but I did over 1000 training (road) miles last year, and didnt get one puncture.I also carry
    >a mobile, just in case of something serious breaking.Perhaps its time for the RAC/AA to offer a
    >Cyclists service? Alan.

    If you're a CTC member I think you can get such a service for 30UKP pa. It's called Cyclecover and
    Rescue or somesuch.