pumps

"[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:19:55 +0000, "A.Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:52:01 +0000, Styler wrote:
> >
> >> i see more and more cyclists out on the roads without pumps.
> >
> >> so, does everyone take a pump with them wherever they go?
> >
> >I do, but I did over 1000 training (road) miles last year, and didnt get one puncture.I also
> >carry a mobile, just in case of something serious breaking.Perhaps its time for the RAC/AA to
> >offer a Cyclists service? Alan.
>
> If you're a CTC member I think you can get such a service for 30UKP pa. It's called Cyclecover and
> Rescue or somesuch.

I think punctures is the only thing it excludes.... Julia

Originally posted by Geoff Pearson

>How do you know I haven't got a pump >- mine is in my pannier? [/B]

i'd assume anyone with a pannier has room for a pump. i'm talking roadies whose bikes have no room to hide a pump.

Styler <[email protected]> writes:

> i see more and more cyclists out on the roads without pumps. does everyone have such understanding
> families that in the case of a puncture 30 miles from home, a quick call on the mobile is all it
> takes for a warm car to be despatched to the scene?
>
> ok, so if you use tubs then i understand. and maybe if you're in a group, one of the members of
> which always carrries a pump. (although i was touring through france a few years ago, the others
> rode 10 miles till they realised that i must have punctured - it was quite a fast straight road!)
>
> so, does everyone take a pump with them wherever they go?

Frame pump on the road bike and on one hill bike, bottle-cage mounted mini-pump on the other hill
bike, track pump at home.

to err is human, to lisp divine ;; attributed to Kim Philby, oddly enough.

"Simonb" <[email protected]> writes:

> Styler wrote:
>
> > so, does everyone take a pump with them wherever they go?
>
> Nearly always. My kit is as follows:
>
> 1 mini pump 1 spare tube 1 puncture repair kit mobile phone (I'd use it to call my wife if all
> else fails -- lord knows whether she'd actually come out and pick me up though)
>
> I had a puncture today and switched the tube for the spare; then managed to destroy the valve on
> said tube using the mini-pump (broke the valve pin thingy!). So I had to use the repair kit --
> this left me without a spare for catastrophic tube failures (on a 100km solo ride).
>
> Anyone know of a good mini-pump which will do a 70-80 psi faitly easily. I know none of them are
> capable of 110.

Blackburn Air-stick AS1, does 110psi reliably. Manufacturer claims 160psi, but I don't run my tyres
that hard so can't confirm it. Easily maintained. Service pack available. Recommended.

vernon levy wrote:

> totally satisfied by it and there is a smaller version (6")
^

Thanks all.

Simon

ps, Vernon, are you sure that's the correct preposition?

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 13:33:00 -0000, in
<[email protected]>, "Pete Biggs"
<ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:
>I'm sure there are a lot of silly cyclists out there who never carry a pump but some of the people
>you see might have one - just a mini pump in a bag or mounted besides bottle cage that you don't
>notice. Mini pumps are more popular now despite the fact that they can't work as well as a full
>size frame pump. Some carry CO2 inflators instead.

Have you looked at the Road Morph or Mountain Morph? The road version is slightly longer than a
"minipump" but definielty shorter than a frame pump (fits easily in my briefcase pannier) and is
IMHO adequately efficient at reaching high pressure (110 PSI no sweat). A small hinged length of
plastic flips out, which when stood on turns the pump into a vertical track pump design. It also has
a flexible hose.

Love and air from Rich x

--
I remember when the internet was only in black & white. It only had a few pages but at least they
all worked. Email: Put only the word "richard" before the @ sign.

Richard Bates wrote:

>> I'm sure there are a lot of silly cyclists out there who never carry a pump but some of the
>> people you see might have one - just a mini pump in a bag or mounted besides bottle cage that you
>> don't notice. Mini pumps are more popular now despite the fact that they can't work as well as a
>> full size frame pump. Some carry CO2 inflators instead.
>
> Have you looked at the Road Morph or Mountain Morph? The road version is slightly longer than a
> "minipump" but definielty shorter than a frame pump (fits easily in my briefcase pannier) and is
> IMHO adequately efficient at reaching high pressure (110 PSI no sweat). A small hinged length of
> plastic flips out, which when stood on turns the pump into a vertical track pump design. It also
> has a flexible hose.

I've not had a go on it. I can believe it can be adequate and work better than an ordinary mini
pump, but if the barrel's shorter, it still can't be as good as a Zefal HPX size 4 when it comes to
high pressures (100 to 130psi+). Must require more force and/or more strokes. Physics innit? It's a
little heavier so no weight advantage, by the way; just size.

I'd also be concerned about the vertical action doing my back in with anything shorter than a real
track pump - even if kneeling - but that's just me cos I'm tall with dodgy back. To be fair, using a
frame pump isn't all that comfortable for my back either.

~PB