pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styler

Dec 1, 2003
i see more and more cyclists out on the roads without pumps. does everyone have such understanding families that in the case of a puncture 30 miles from home, a quick call on the mobile is all it takes for a warm car to be despatched to the scene?

ok, so if you use tubs then i understand. and maybe if you're in a group, one of the members of which always carrries a pump. (although i was touring through france a few years ago, the others rode 10 miles till they realised that i must have punctured - it was quite a fast straight road!)

so, does everyone take a pump with them wherever they go?

"Styler" <[email protected]> wrote

> so, does everyone take a pump with them wherever they go?

I wouldn't go far without a pump. I sellotaped my minipump to the frame about a year ago. Haven't
needed to use it and It hasn't fallen off yet.

I used to, but after the second one got nicked I gave up. Thing is, it was a cheap pump, and the
atachment to fit it to their Schraeder valves costs more than the pump itself. Twots. Still, I
suppose if they had a brain they wouldn't be nicking a £2 pump.

Styler wrote:
> i see more and more cyclists out on the roads without pumps. does everyone have such understanding
> families that in the case of a puncture 30 miles from home, a quick call on the mobile is all it
> takes for a warm car to be despatched to the scene?

I'm sure there are a lot of silly cyclists out there who never carry a pump but some of the people
you see might have one - just a mini pump in a bag or mounted besides bottle cage that you don't
notice. Mini pumps are more popular now despite the fact that they can't work as well as a full size
frame pump. Some carry CO2 inflators instead.

I do. Zefal HPX for proper rides, Sapo pocket pump for local trips.

~PB

Styler wrote:

Almost always, sometimes I forget to switch it to the bike I am using that day !

I use a Topeak Mini Master Blaster and that does for me. Light and clips to the frame.

>I'm sure there are a lot of silly cyclists out there who never carry a pump but some of the people
you see might have one - just a mini pump in a bag or mounted besides bottle cage that you don't
notice. Mini pumps are more popular now despite the fact that they can't work as well as a full size
frame pump. Some carry CO2 inflators instead.

i take a mini pump with me everywhere, attchaed to the bottle cage. however, there seem to be loads of serious cyclists without - i'm talking hardened roadies rather than anyone else. i suppose the CO2 canister in the saddle bag might be the best explanation...

Styler wrote:

> i see more and more cyclists out on the roads without pumps. does everyone have such understanding
> families that in the case of a puncture 30 miles from home, a quick call on the mobile is all it
>
> ok, so if you use tubs then i understand. and maybe if you're in a group, one of the members of
> which always carrries a pump. (although i was touring through france a few years ago, the others
> rode 10 miles till they realised that i must have punctured - it was quite a fast straight road!)
>

On the racing bike and MTB I carry a gas canister. I've only had to use it twice ever (and yes,
it worked).

Styler wrote:

Nearly always. My kit is as follows:

1 mini pump 1 spare tube 1 puncture repair kit mobile phone (I'd use it to call my wife if all
else fails -- lord knows whether she'd actually come out and pick me up though)

I had a puncture today and switched the tube for the spare; then managed to destroy the valve on
said tube using the mini-pump (broke the valve pin thingy!). So I had to use the repair kit -- this
left me without a spare for catastrophic tube failures (on a 100km solo ride).

Anyone know of a good mini-pump which will do a 70-80 psi faitly easily. I know none of them are
capable of 110.

Simon

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> On the racing bike and MTB I carry a gas canister. I've only had to use it twice ever (and yes, it
> worked).

How much pressure do they deliver?

Simon

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Anyone know of a good mini-pump which will do a 70-80 psi faitly easily. I know none of them are
> capable of 110.

I use a Crank Brothers 9" alloy Power Pump see:
http://www.crankbrothers.com/products/pumps_powerpumpalloy.php which has no difficulty in delivering
110 psi. It has an unusual internal valving system which will deliver high volume low pressure air
e.g. MTB pressures or low volume high pressure air for road bikes. I'm totally satisfied by it and
there is a smaller version (6") see: http://www.crankbrothers.com/products/pumps_powerpump.php that
will deliver a claimed 100 psi. Both pumps carry lifetime gurantees.

Vernon

In news:[email protected],
MSeries <[email protected]> expounded sagaciously:
> Styler wrote:
>
>> so, does everyone take a pump with them wherever they go?
>
> Almost always, sometimes I forget to switch it to the bike I am using that day !

Sad, but I have a pump per bike. Only cos I have a **** memory.
--

Martin Bulmer

Pie Conservation Threat

In news:eek:[email protected],
Styler <[email protected]> expounded sagaciously:
>> I'm sure there are a lot of silly cyclists out there who never carry a pump but some of
>> the people
> you see might have one - just a mini pump in a bag or mounted besides bottle cage that you don't
> notice. Mini pumps are more popular now despite the fact that they can't work as well as a full
> size frame pump. Some carry CO2 inflators instead.
>
> i take a mini pump with me everywhere, attchaed to the bottle cage. however, there seem to be
> loads of serious cyclists without - i'm talking hardened roadies rather than anyone else. i
> suppose the CO2 canister in the saddle bag might be the best explanation...

I know 2 cyclists who refuse to carry pumps, or any other gear, because of the extra weight. Each of
them relies on his wife to carry the equipment!! I have been on rides when each has dropped off the
back, punctured, and the wife just left them to it. Brilliant!!
--

Martin Bulmer

Pie Conservation Threat

> Anyone know of a good mini-pump which will do a 70-80 psi faitly easily. I know none of them are
> capable of 110.

The push/pull action is ok for mtb pressures but very hard for 100+

A really cheap push only minipump will do it if,as previously mentioned , it is held in a wodge of
padding of some sort(Your padded shorts if you are really travelling light, or a sock)and the end
at the valve braced against a piece of rock or wood.I just realised this may not be found so
easily in town

I have also recently discovered the expensive delight of co2, but will still carry a cheap minipump.

Terry

Styler wrote:

With the increasing use of mini pumps you can't really be quite so sure. My "out on the road pump"
travels inside a pannier, there's no way you could tell if I had it or not (no, it's not as good as
a frame pump, but OTOH I don't have a conventional frame to put it in, and if a pump's in my luggage
I don't have an additional thing to dismount when leaving the bike locked).

There *is* one on the Brompton, but I'm more likely to fold it and get on a bus, to be honest
(usually used for short local hops and there will be a bus). Anywhere on the 'bent I always have
one, plus tools and tubes.

Pete.

--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Styler <[email protected]> wrote:
: i see more and more cyclists out on the roads without pumps. does

I never carry a pump round town. It kept getting nicked. Instead I fitted conti top touring tyres to
by commuting bike. Very, very hard to puncture. Corner like **** but it's a fixed so that's not a
great problem :)

On the other bikes I have a mini-pump attached to the frame. And yes, I find I can get 100 PSI from
a good mini-pump. The trick is to a) buy the expensive ones and b) choose ones designed for road use
not MTB use (long and thin not short and fat)

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
- Paulina Borsook

"Styler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> families that in the case of a
puncture
> 30 miles from home, a quick call on the mobile is all it takes for a warm car to be despatched to
> the scene?
>
> ok, so if you use tubs then i understand. and maybe if you're in a group, one of the members of
> which always carrries a pump. (although i was touring through france a few years ago, the others
> rode 10 miles till they realised that i must have punctured - it was quite a fast straight road!)
>
>
>
>
> --
>
>

How do you know I haven't got a pump - mine is in my pannier?

Simonb wrote:

> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>
>
>>On the racing bike and MTB I carry a gas canister. I've only had to use it twice ever (and yes, it
>>worked).
>
>
> How much pressure do they deliver?
>
> Simon
>
>
Enough for a low-pressure MTB tyre or a narrow high-pressure road tyre. Definitely not enough for a
fat high-pressure tyre like a S-Lick or a Fat Boy [1], which is why I carry a pump on the touring
bike (and at 30lb already with mudguards, rack and dynamo lighting, another half pound is neither
here nor there).

[1] it got me home once on a Fat Boy, but every time I went over a drain cover I could feel the rim
touch the road...

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:19:55 +0000, "A.Lee" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:52:01 +0000, Styler wrote:
>
>> i see more and more cyclists out on the roads without pumps.
>
>> so, does everyone take a pump with them wherever they go?
>
>I do, but I did over 1000 training (road) miles last year, and didnt get one puncture.I also carry
>a mobile, just in case of something serious breaking.Perhaps its time for the RAC/AA to offer a
>Cyclists service? Alan.

If you're a CTC member I think you can get such a service for 30UKP pa. It's called Cyclecover and
Rescue or somesuch.

Status
Not open for further replies.