Punch, lack of

[email protected] wrote:
> Callas <[email protected]>typed

> > Actually my normal normal portion is 150g pasta plus 125g mince, too.

> but the saturated fat in a piece of cake is 'bad'?...

AFAIK, given my simplistic and not terribly deeply informed POV, sat fat
is sat fat, doesn't matter where it comes from. Have as little as
possible in your diet. Mince is I think good for a bunch of things, and
tastes great with pasta :)

More seriously, I think I'd argue there's a lot more sat fat in a chunk
of cake than in the mince, and when I eat the mince, I get a bunch of
other important stuff which I wouldn't get from cake.

--
Callas

Callas <[email protected]>typed

> [email protected] wrote:
> > Callas <[email protected]>typed

> > > Actually my normal normal portion is 150g pasta plus 125g mince, too.

> > but the saturated fat in a piece of cake is 'bad'?...

> AFAIK, given my simplistic and not terribly deeply informed POV, sat fat
> is sat fat, doesn't matter where it comes from.

True.

> Have as little as
> possible in your diet. Mince is I think good for a bunch of things, and
> tastes great with pasta :)

Yup but check how much fat there is in your mince - read the label! You
may get a surprise...

> More seriously, I think I'd argue there's a lot more sat fat in a chunk
> of cake than in the mince,

I doubt this as a matter of fact but don't know your mince or your cake..

> and when I eat the mince, I get a bunch of
> other important stuff which I wouldn't get from cake.

You'll get some iron, some vitamins and some protein. Adults don't need
huge amounts of protein, so long as there's enough energy in the diet.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

[email protected] wrote:
> Callas <[email protected]>typed
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > Callas <[email protected]>typed

> > Have as little as
> > possible in your diet. Mince is I think good for a bunch of things, and
> > tastes great with pasta :)

> Yup but check how much fat there is in your mince - read the label! You
> may get a surprise...

There *is* no label :/ The mince is 5% fat, and I had 125 grams (half
the pack) so total fat is 6.25 grams. How that's divided into
mono/poly/sat, I just don't know.

> > More seriously, I think I'd argue there's a lot more sat fat in a chunk
> > of cake than in the mince,

> I doubt this as a matter of fact but don't know your mince or your cake..

Neither do I :)

--
Callas

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 13:49:27 +0100, Callas <[email protected]> ()
wrote:

>Indeed. Sumo wrestling has the idea that there are three aspects; size,
>skill and attitude. The best ever Sumo wrestler, can't remember his
>name now, had skill and attitude, but was a pretty small bloke.

Chiyonofuji (AKA The Wolf) 1.83m, 127kg. Tiny for a rikishi, he was
Yokozuna for 59 bashos, won 53 consecutive bouts, had a clean sheet
at 7 bashos and, IMO was the best in living memory.

--
Matt K
Waikikamukau,NZ

[email protected] wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 13:49:27 +0100, Callas <[email protected]> ()
> wrote:
>
> >Indeed. Sumo wrestling has the idea that there are three aspects; size,
> >skill and attitude. The best ever Sumo wrestler, can't remember his
> >name now, had skill and attitude, but was a pretty small bloke.

> Chiyonofuji (AKA The Wolf) 1.83m, 127kg. Tiny for a rikishi, he was
> Yokozuna for 59 bashos, won 53 consecutive bouts, had a clean sheet
> at 7 bashos and, IMO was the best in living memory.

I'll never forget the bout where the Dump Truck actually had picked him
up and was holding him *in the air over his head* and walking to toss
him out of the ring - and *still* he won.

--
Callas

Callas <[email protected]> writes:

> [email protected]in wrote:
>> Overdoing it a little, perhaps?

> What it is is that I'm surprised that I'm tired so easily.

It's been hot recently too - the temperature can make a big
difference.

>Chiyonofuji (AKA The Wolf) 1.83m, 127kg. Tiny for a rikishi, he was
>Yokozuna for 59 bashos, won 53 consecutive bouts, had a clean sheet
>at 7 bashos and, IMO was the best in living memory.

Chiyonofuji was a quite brilliant sumo wrestler. He *oozed* class compared to
his larger rivals. He was solid muscle. Saw him at the Albert Hall.

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 21:40:55 +0100, Callas <[email protected]> ()
wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 13:49:27 +0100, Callas <[email protected]> ()
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Indeed. Sumo wrestling has the idea that there are three aspects; size,
>> >skill and attitude. The best ever Sumo wrestler, can't remember his
>> >name now, had skill and attitude, but was a pretty small bloke.

>> Chiyonofuji (AKA The Wolf) 1.83m, 127kg. Tiny for a rikishi, he was
>> Yokozuna for 59 bashos, won 53 consecutive bouts, had a clean sheet
>> at 7 bashos and, IMO was the best in living memory.

>I'll never forget the bout where the Dump Truck actually had picked him
>up and was holding him *in the air over his head* and walking to toss
>him out of the ring - and *still* he won.

A bout between those two was always spectacular. :)
IIRC, Chiyonfuji beat Konishiki at least once by tsuridashi
(lift-out). No mean feat considering that one weighed twice the amount
of the other. :)

So, dragging this sumo geekery kicking and screaming back on topic,
Chiyonofuji, the Eddie Merckx of sumo? I reckon so.

--
Matt K
Waikikamukau,NZ

On 09 Aug 2004 07:02:21 GMT, [email protected]omcom
(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) () wrote:

>>Chiyonofuji (AKA The Wolf) 1.83m, 127kg. Tiny for a rikishi, he was
>>Yokozuna for 59 bashos, won 53 consecutive bouts, had a clean sheet
>>at 7 bashos and, IMO was the best in living memory.

>Chiyonofuji was a quite brilliant sumo wrestler. He *oozed* class compared to
>his larger rivals. He was solid muscle. Saw him at the Albert Hall.

<jealous> I couldn't make the London basho.
--
Matt K
Waikikamukau,NZ

Whingin' Pom wrote:
> So, dragging this sumo geekery kicking and screaming back on topic,
> Chiyonofuji, the Eddie Merckx of sumo? I reckon so.

Probably. I stopped following sumo when it transferred from C4 to Sky so
I've completely lost touch.

Also slightly on topic, I thought the serenity of the commentary in A
Sunday In Hell was very reminiscent of the presentational style of the
C4 sumo coverage - maintaining calm at all times served to heighten the
tension and when the bursts of action came it made it all the more exciting.

d.

Jeremy Collins <[email protected]> wrote:

: If you're going to use mince, brown it in a hot dry
: pan first, and pour away the fat.

Personally I've stopped worrying about (most forms of) fat. My current diet aims are
(in no order)

1) Low salt
2) No trans-fats
3) Lots of fresh veg and fruit
4) No ready made meals (to ensure 1+2)
5) Good quality organic or not-buggered around with ingredients

So I alternate having stuff like chicken (the sort that's not padded with
pork and water...) with cider and cream cooked with butter + olive oil
(not exactly low fat) with stuff like pasta + veg + pesto + herbs (very
low fat)

I just avoid eating too much and very rarely have pudding. Or cake. The
thing that I've found is that I feel much better when I eat 3-4 bits of
fruit a day than when I don't. I still haven't succeded in making this
a habit though. I still have to think about it, but I'm working on it.

Reading "Not on the Label" by Felicity Lawrence is a good, if depressing,
thing if you want to know about the horrors that are in a "low-fat chicken
swandwich" from most shops and much more besides.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

On 9/8/04 9:44 am, in article [email protected], "Arthur Clune"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Jeremy Collins <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : If you're going to use mince, brown it in a hot dry
> : pan first, and pour away the fat.
>
> Personally I've stopped worrying about (most forms of) fat. My current diet
> aims are
> (in no order)
>
> 1) Low salt

My dad got told to go on a low salt diet to reduce his blood pressure. So my
mum (who is very much a 'cook from raw' person) sorted all the recipes to
exclude salt. After a month they tested him and couldn't believe the low
sodium level. A lot of that has spilled over into my cooking too.

> 2) No trans-fats

Indeed..

> 3) Lots of fresh veg and fruit

My kids have been nicknamed the fruit bats.. We eat so much fruit and veg it
is almost unbelievable. They'd rather go for a piece of fruit than a bag of
crisps.

> 4) No ready made meals (to ensure 1+2)

I find most 'ready meals' to be absolutely minging and only worthy of
binning. If I want a ready meal I'll cook in advance and freeze it.

> 5) Good quality organic or not-buggered around with ingredients

Hard to find. I've little worries about pesticides but do go for food miles,
trying to reduce the number of miles my meal has travelled. This has led to
some interesting things.

Don't buy foreign fruit when UK fruit is in season
Don't buy foreign honey (this means I have to get down to the farmers market
to get the local stuff)

When the allotment isn't producing (food miles about 0.5) I get deliveries
from the local organic farm who do a subscription thing (food miles about
30).

Don't buy tiger prawns, ever.

Free range chicken. The local farmers market is a good source of high
quality meat. We are starting to move to a less frequent but higher quality
meat usage.

> So I alternate having stuff like chicken (the sort that's not padded with
> pork and water...) with cider and cream cooked with butter + olive oil

Mmm!

> (not exactly low fat) with stuff like pasta + veg + pesto + herbs (very
> low fat)

Not with the olive oil and so on. But it's good fat ;-)

> I just avoid eating too much and very rarely have pudding. Or cake.

My wife and daughter don't eat sucrose so puddings have to be a bit more
inventive. (mostly fruit and yoghurt.) We can do good crumbles and pastry
(apple pie, rhubarb crumble etc. but this takes a degree of planning.

> Reading "Not on the Label" by Felicity Lawrence is a good, if depressing,
> thing if you want to know about the horrors that are in a "low-fat chicken
> swandwich" from most shops and much more besides.

That is one scary book, and very eye opening. Our canteen at the lab has
started to offer fairtrade tea and coffee, so I am trying to be a lot more
aware of what my purchasing decisions mean in a global context (hint: what
you do at the supermarket does affect the lives of people around the world).

Teh craziest thing was the attempt to get the EU to fund a massive
irrigation campaign so that new tracts of land can be destroyed to produce
tasteless vegetables with a low shelf price for the supermarkets.
Essentially this amounts to strip mining the countryside.

...d

Callas wrote:

> More seriously, I think I'd argue there's a lot more sat fat in a chunk
> of cake than in the mince, and when I eat the mince, I get a bunch of
> other important stuff which I wouldn't get from cake.

If you're going to use mince, brown it in a hot dry
pan first, and pour away the fat.

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Arthur Clune wrote:

> Jeremy Collins <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : If you're going to use mince, brown it in a hot dry
> : pan first, and pour away the fat.
>
> Personally I've stopped worrying about (most forms of) fat. My current diet aims are
> (in no order)
>
> 1) Low salt
> 2) No trans-fats
> 3) Lots of fresh veg and fruit
> 4) No ready made meals (to ensure 1+2)
> 5) Good quality organic or not-buggered around with ingredients

Sounds like you and I would agree on a lot of diet issues! I
only use fresh ingredients, and avoid processed food, junk
food and puddings.

But given that I have the diet of someone who enjoys food
and cooking (with an emphasis on healthy eating), it's very
difficult to get too *little* fat, so I try and make up for
that with little changes like the one above.

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 10:46:46 +0100, Callas wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>> Callas <[email protected]> wrote:
>>: Did another TT last Thursday, been a bit busy since. Finally went out
>>: for a proper longer ride today, 40 miles.
>>
>>: I'm amazed at how little *punch* I have left.
>>
>> WHy are you trying to find your "punch" on such days?
>>
>> Go slow, or go hard. Nothing in the middle.

> "Punch" may be a misleading word. I wasn't trying to accelerate hard.
> I'm thinking of the ... whatever it is, that you need to keep cadence up
> at about a hundred.

A lower gear?

--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "He loves nature in spite of what it did to him." -

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 21:07:36 +0100, Callas wrote:

> Did another TT last Thursday, been a bit busy since. Finally went out
> for a proper longer ride today, 40 miles.
>
> I'm amazed at how little *punch* I have left.
>
> My normal ride out simply hasn't made me hold down power for extended
> periods of time, as a TT does, where you just can't let go. You've got
> to do 25/30 mins no-stopping no-resting. So I'm finding that these
> weekly TTs and the weekly TT training I'm doing are just totally taking
> away my punch in normal weekly rides.
>
> To be a bit more descriptive, I'm finding it hard to spin up to the full
> 100 cadence. I *can* notch up a gear and push at the same speed I
> should be spinning in in the lower gear, but that's not the way to go.

It sounds to me as if you're competing too often.

You can't be training and competing at the same time if you're hoping to do
good times in all your races. You need to rest after racing and rest
before racing.

If you insist on riding a race every week then you're going to have to
treat some/most of them as 'faster training rides' at less than full
effort.

--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter

David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
:>
:> 1) Low salt

: My dad got told to go on a low salt diet to reduce his blood pressure. So my
: mum (who is very much a 'cook from raw' person) sorted all the recipes to
: exclude salt. After a month they tested him and couldn't believe the low
: sodium level. A lot of that has spilled over into my cooking too.

I don't put that much salt in cooking and tend to use ingredients without
added salt (e.g. unsalted butter), adding salt myself if needed. That said,
I'm happy enough to add salt to stuff I cook since it's not high-salt to
start with. The amount of salt in ready made snacks/muffins/meals etc staggers
me.

: Don't buy tiger prawns, ever.

Fortunatly I don't like them so this isn't a great sacrifice for me!

: Free range chicken. The local farmers market is a good source of high
: quality meat. We are starting to move to a less frequent but higher quality
: meat usage.

That's the way I've gone. I'm very lucky in having a local butchers with
their own farm, so nearly all their meat is local (and slaughtered locally).

Arthur

--

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 22:01:08 +0100, Callas wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:

>> IMHO you need might more carbs. Make sure you get some immediately after
>> your TTs and,

> Yeah, that doesn't happen. We're miles away from town and we all chat
> afterwards for a while.

That's a very poor excuse. Why don't you take food with you?

You should consume a mixture of carbohydrate and protein as soon as
possible after exercise because this is the time when the body stores
glycogen fastest.

There are carbohydrate/protein drinks you can use but yoghurts, smoothies,
fresh fruit and milk, cereals and sandwiches (e.g. tuna, chicken, egg) are
all good.

--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't

In article <[email protected]>,
"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> writes:

> 1) Low salt

An interesting one. Italians eat a massively more salty diet than Brits
yet suffer less heart disease.

> 2) No trans-fats
> 3) Lots of fresh veg and fruit
> 4) No ready made meals (to ensure 1+2)
> 5) Good quality organic or not-buggered around with ingredients

How about a simpler formula summarised in the single word "balanced".
Preferably influenced by another, largely unconnected word "ethical".

--
Nick Kew