Puncture patches

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bill, May 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill

Bill Guest

When I was a kid back in the 50's we used to cut our patches out of old innertubes and stick them
    on with ordinary rubber solution. They never came undone. Our tubes probably had more patches
    than tube!

It doesn't work anymore, so what's changed. The glue or the material the tube is made from.

Bill

Tags:

2. It does if you file the shiny stuff off the rubber on both.

3. Pete Biggs

Pete Biggs Guest

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:
    > It does if you file the shiny stuff off the rubber on both.

Yes, perhaps there's more mold-release on tubes these days.

~PB

4. Paul A.

Paul A. New Member

>When I was a kid back in the 50's we used to cut our >patches out of old innertubes and stick them
    >on with ordinary rubber solution. They never came undone. Our >tubes probably had more patches
    >than tube!

>It doesn't work anymore, so what's changed. The glue or the >material the tube is made from.

Oh, dear - me too, Bill. The 'rubber solution' did work on the inner tube patches, but the new soles on our school shoes would be flapping again after less than a week. Same glue, different application. Painful memories.

Years later, I thought it was just plain old post-war austerity, but slowly came to realise it was good old-fashioned working-class poverty. Nowadays I can afford to buy proper puncture repair outfits, (sigh). Can't believe it was fifty years ago.

Seen a few tubes with these patches on them lately, on old bikes,
    often 28 inch wheels, that I've rescued from the scrap or rubbish collectors. Sometimes find a 28 inch tube crammed into a 27 inch wheel, and the original cotton tape, having performed its duty of absorbing moisture and rusting out the rim, crumbles at the touch.
    Some of these old bikes just scream poverty - Monitor brakes held on with 1/4 or 3/16'' coach bolts, inner tube patches on inner tubes, tyre splits held with cotton insulation tape, etc. Try to salvage a 28 " tube with a Woods valve, but no dice, perished.

Who said 'those were the good old days' ?

5. John Hearns

John Hearns Guest

I think I read this tip on a website, maybe Sheldon Browns, and I tried it for the first time
    yesterday.

I used a Black and Decker 'Mouse' - same as a Dremel tool, with a small sander wheel. I think it
    did a great job of sanding down the tube, but I did think it was a bit too easy to sand right
    through the tube!

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating though, when I actually ride on the tube tomorrow.

6. Thus spake "Bill" <[email protected]>

> When I was a kid back in the 50's we used to cut our patches out of old innertubes and stick them
    > on with ordinary rubber solution. They never came undone. Our tubes probably had more patches
    > than tube!

> It doesn't work anymore, so what's changed. The glue or the material the tube is made from.

I think the tubes are now made of synthetic (butyl) rubber.

Tip-Top patches are the biz though. My patches seldom peel or fail.

--
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected] Edgware.

7. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

On Thu, 15 May 2003 16:20:16 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:

>Tip-Top patches are the biz though. My patches seldom peel or fail.

Absolutely. Accept No Substitute. Except maybe Bridgeport Cure-C-Cure if you can find them.

Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    work. Apologies.

8. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

On Thu, 15 May 2003 19:11:46 +0100, "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:

>It does if you file the shiny stuff off the rubber on both.

Buy some patches you stingy git ;-)

Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    work. Apologies.

9. Pete Biggs

Pete Biggs Guest

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 May 2003 16:20:16 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Tip-Top patches are the biz though. My patches seldom peel or fail.
    >
    > Absolutely. Accept No Substitute. Except maybe Bridgeport Cure-C-Cure if you can find them.

Velox patches are good too. Technique is more important than brand. I'm sure just about any make of
    patch will do.

~PB

10. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

On Sat, 17 May 2003 16:46:08 +0100, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

>>> Tip-Top patches are the biz though. My patches seldom peel or fail.

>> Absolutely. Accept No Substitute. Except maybe Bridgeport Cure-C-Cure if you can find them.

>Velox patches are good too. Technique is more important than brand. I'm sure just about any make of
    >patch will do.

Maybe. But I wish you culd still get big tins of powdered French chalk. I finished mine back in the
    80s and haven't been able to replace it.

Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

11. Terry

Terry Guest

"Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > It does if you file the shiny stuff off the rubber on both.

I agree, just give both surfaces a thorough rubbing with sandpaper or on the cement floor and keep
    the glue smears very thin and so far I've never had a problem.These days I only buy patches to
    support the lbs really.

As for those who never get punctures, I find that very hard to understand, as I get them all the
    time due to glass frags, or thorns in autumn.I had two cuts of more than 5mm in the past month, one
    on a softish 37mm tyre and one in a hard 23mm. I can understand the bike shops giving away bottle
    openers, it must be good for business. TerryJ

12. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Guest

On Sat, 17 May 2003 16:53:05 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Maybe. But I wish you culd still get big tins of powdered French chalk. I finished mine back in the
    >80s and haven't been able to replace it.

Climbing shops. Well 'ard climbers use it to dry their sweaty mitts before slapping an
    impossible move.

Tim
    --

fast and gripping, non pompous, glossy and credible.

13. Terry

Terry Guest

> Maybe. But I wish you culd still get big tins of powdered French chalk. I finished mine back in
    > the 80s and haven't been able to replace it.

Have you never been given talcum powder for christmas? At least it makes my tyres smell nice.

TerryJ

14. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

On 18 May 2003 13:26:48 -0700, [email protected] (Terry) wrote:

>Have you never been given talcum powder for christmas?

Thankfully not :)

>At least it makes my tyres smell nice.

I'm absolutely sure that my 'bent would go a good 3mph slower if it smelt like a tart's boudoir :-D

Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

15. Thus spake "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>

> On Sat, 17 May 2003 16:46:08 +0100, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

> >>> Tip-Top patches are the biz though. My patches seldom peel or fail.

> >> Absolutely. Accept No Substitute. Except maybe Bridgeport Cure-C-Cure if you can find them.

> >Velox patches are good too. Technique is more important than brand. I'm sure just about any make
    > >of patch will do.

> Maybe. But I wish you culd still get big tins of powdered French chalk. I finished mine back in
    > the 80s and haven't been able to replace it.

Put smelly talcum powder in a film cannister.

What else should you do with unwanted Christmas gifts?

--

16. Thus spake [email protected] (Terry)

> >
    > > Maybe. But I wish you culd still get big tins of powdered French chalk. I finished mine back in
    > > the 80s and haven't been able to replace it.

> Have you never been given talcum powder for christmas? At least it makes my tyres smell nice.

The Rays, buggrit!

--

17. Thus spake "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>

> On 18 May 2003 13:26:48 -0700, [email protected] (Terry) wrote:

> >Have you never been given talcum powder for christmas?

> Thankfully not :)

> >At least it makes my tyres smell nice.

> I'm absolutely sure that my 'bent would go a good 3mph slower if it smelt like a tart's
    > boudoir :-D

ITYM an old folks' home...[1]

[1] That lovely blend of incontinence and air freshener...

--

18. Peter Clinch

Peter Clinch Guest

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
    > Thus spake "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>

>>Maybe. But I wish you culd still get big tins of powdered French chalk. I finished mine back in
    >>the 80s and haven't been able to replace it.
    >
    > Put smelly talcum powder in a film cannister. What else should you do with unwanted
    > Christmas gifts?

Seems fair enough to me, though as an alternative you could probably get wee blocks of French chalk
    from a supplier of billiards and snooker equipment, or as another possibility the blocks of
    Magnesium Carbonate climbers use for drying their pinkies available from most outdoor shops that
    cater to climbers.

Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

19. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

On Mon, 19 May 2003 12:37:06 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I'm absolutely sure that my 'bent would go a good 3mph slower if it smelt like a tart's
    >> boudoir :-D

>ITYM an old folks' home...[1]

Trust me, when the purchasers of pressies are aged 6 and 9 anything can happen :-D

Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.