Puncture proof 700x28c tires???

kf5nd said:
I had a flat caused by Mr. Tuffy, the tire shield folded over when I put the tube in, and the sharp corner at the bend eventually wore through the tube and caused a flat. I threw them away.
Yeah,and they will cause flats even if not folded over unless one feathers the cut end.I threw all mine away too.

boudreaux said:
Yeah,and they will cause flats even if not folded over unless one feathers the cut end.I threw all mine away too.

of course it will be heavy lol.. but use some tape to hold the lip down... that should help with it folding back.

Yeah- I haven't put Mr. Tuffy's in a bike since I was in elementary school. Had this little BMX bike and dad got so sick of fixin' flats he threw the Tuffy's in...I bent the fork about a week later (gotta keep dad busy)
I did order the Armadillo's today- I ride at 100psi and I am 205lbs, so they ought to beat the **** out of me, but I will bet the trade off is worth it... I had my first ride on my new bike today without a puncture and it was great...course I rode in the middle of the road whenever there were no cars

I'm running 700 X 23c's and seem to get between 500 to 1800 miles out of them. When they flat, it's time to change them because of the gouge in the tire. Is there a way to repair the gouge? I wouldn't want to continue riding on a gouged tire considering the tube will not contain the 120-125psi without a good seal on the tire. So I avoid playing the patching game and just get a whole new set of tire + tube every time the tire goes flat and I also see a sizable hole in the tire.

I just put a whole new set between yesterday and today of front and back tires and tubes. I'm trying now Vittoria Rubino Intrepid PRB Kevlar synthetic tires 700 X23c 125psi. I got the back one yesterday and was a little concerned because it didn't seem like it would have the grip on the road. But after riding a day on it, I can see that the road friction has taken the slickness off it, and I'm not at all worried about traction now. After the front one blew today, I went ahead and competed the matching set.

I'm using Novarra 700 X 18/23 road tubes, presta (lite) verson. They don't have standard 700 X 23c tubes. So I'm running the lite version. To get standard, I'd have to go up to a 700 X 25c setup.

My last 2 sets were Continental Ultra Gator Skins and Continental Ultra 2000's. I got a pretty good run out of the Gator skins, maybe 1800 miles out of the rear and more out of the front. But the shop isn't carrying those anymore for whatever reason--probably too late in the season.

I'm wondering if I would get a whole lot more wear out of a 700 X 25c set considering the tube would also be a bit heavier in a standard rather than lite and bigger as well from 25 rather than 23c. Does anyone have any ideas? If it's only 25% better wear or so, I guess I'll keep treating myself to lighter tires/tubes. But if it's something like double the wear in the heavier setup, I probably would go that route. I'm not sure how much difference I'd notice in the spin with a heavier tire/tube.

i just removed a set of 700x23 vittoria open corsa's from my bike. they had about 2000 miles on them ZERO FLATS. there were lots of little cuts, but none of them penetrated the kevlar. i only removed them because the tire was starting to bulge around one of the bigger cuts & figured it wasn't worth spoiling their perfect record.

btw, i always inflated them to 120 psi, and use michelin ultralite tubes.

nomis said:
i just removed a set of 700x23 vittoria open corsa's from my bike. they had about 2000 miles on them ZERO FLATS. there were lots of little cuts, but none of them penetrated the kevlar. i only removed them because the tire was starting to bulge around one of the bigger cuts & figured it wasn't worth spoiling their perfect record.

btw, i always inflated them to 120 psi, and use michelin ultralite tubes.

Were they rated to 120 or 125? Maybe those michelin tubes are good too.

gntlmn said:
Were they rated to 120 or 125? Maybe those michelin tubes are good too.
max 125.

the tubes may have something to do with it. it depends whether you flat because of punctures or pinches. if you're getting pinch flats, be a little more careful when you put the tube/tire on. and always make sure the inside of the rim & tire are clean.

i'm trying vredestein's fortezza comps right now (max 160psi, but i'm inflating them to 145 because i lack the patience to get them up higher, even using a specialized airforce) because performance was giving them away at $18 each (reg $50). i think it was a website error -- i bought them the same day they switched to the new site. the sale price increased to $30 the next day. anyway they feel pretty good, a little like tubulars. only a few hundred miles on them but no flats.

nomis said:
max 125.

the tubes may have something to do with it. it depends whether you flat because of punctures or pinches. if you're getting pinch flats, be a little more careful when you put the tube/tire on. and always make sure the inside of the rim & tire are clean.

i'm trying vredestein's fortezza comps right now (max 160psi, but i'm inflating them to 145 because i lack the patience to get them up higher, even using a specialized airforce) because performance was giving them away at $18 each (reg $50). i think it was a website error -- i bought them the same day they switched to the new site. the sale price increased to $30 the next day. anyway they feel pretty good, a little like tubulars. only a few hundred miles on them but no flats.

I use a floor pump at home and my tiny little hand pump only if I need to do a tube replacement on the road. The floor pump works real easy. I didn't pay much for it, and I know what you mean about the other kind taking a lot of effort.

Actually, I don't have much trouble with flats. The only flat I've had this summer on the road was when the tire was already obviously worn out. I just make sure the inflation is good, and then keep riding them until I get a flat at home before my next ride. The tires get nicked up pretty bad by that time.

What's that website you're talking about? I looked under www.performance.com, but I don't think that's what you're talking about. I get my stuff locally at the shop, but it strikes me that as fast as I go through these tires and tubes that I might be better off to buy off the web at a big discount in advance. It wouldn't take long to make use of these supplies.

gntlmn said:
I use a floor pump at home and my tiny little hand pump only if I need to do a tube replacement on the road. The floor pump works real easy. I didn't pay much for it, and I know what you mean about the other kind taking a lot of effort.

Actually, I don't have much trouble with flats. The only flat I've had this summer on the road was when the tire was already obviously worn out. I just make sure the inflation is good, and then keep riding them until I get a flat at home before my next ride. The tires get nicked up pretty bad by that time.

What's that website you're talking about? I looked under www.performance.com, but I don't think that's what you're talking about. I get my stuff locally at the shop, but it strikes me that as fast as I go through these tires and tubes that I might be better off to buy off the web at a big discount in advance. It wouldn't take long to make use of these supplies.
actually i'm talking about a floor pump too. beyond about 140psi, each pump only brings the pressure up by about 1 or 2 psi. getting to 165 takes forever.

the website is www.performancebike.com if you catch things on sale you can get some incredible bargains. i like to support the local bike shop when i can, but some things can be had much cheaper online -- especially on sale. other good online retailers are www.supergo.com and www.nashbar.com. supergo is owned by performance, not sure about nashbar.

happy riding.

gntlmn said:
When they flat, it's time to change them because of the gouge in the tire.
wow!!! You have a lot more expendable income then I do- the LBS must love you. I get so many damn punctures my tires are swiss cheese (2 each in 200 miles thus far)...but they still hold to tube (I don't think you would EVER herniate out of a little puncture).

Telegram Sam said:
wow!!! You have a lot more expendable income then I do- the LBS must love you. I get so many damn punctures my tires are swiss cheese (2 each in 200 miles thus far)...but they still hold to tube (I don't think you would EVER herniate out of a little puncture).

I used to get a lot of flats when I first started riding many years ago. I hardly ever get them any more. I've had one flat on the road this summer, and I've been riding more than 300 miles a week, sometimes 400 or 500. I think I have developed a habit of watching the pavement a lot. There are certain areas you want to avoid when riding on the road where the debris builds up. I try to avoid those areas.

Back up a little. When I get flats, it's at home the day after the ride. The tire gets flat between my last ride and my next one. I do get those occasionally. If the tire is good, I replace the tube. If it's not, I replace both. A tube is $6.00. Once they start flatting, I've found it's not worth it to fix them. Just my opinion. You're only going to save $6 by fixing the flat rather than replacing it, and you're setting yourself up to be more likely to get another one. It doesn't seem worth it.

I have been using Vredestein Campo 28c tires on my road/CX bike for the past 13 months and have had ZERO flats. Not one. I've weighed them, and my Campo's are 332 gm. each. I use Vittoria Ultralite butyl tubes.

I also use the Vred Fortezza Road 25c. The Campo, Fortezza Road, and Fortezza Tri-Comp all have exactly the same casings, except of course for the particular widths. Other differences:

1. Campo has very low-profile knobs for dirt road use and a single rubber compound - 28c and 32c.

2. F. Road is the regular smooth-type road tire with single rubber compound - 20c, 23c, and 25c.

3. Tri-Comp has a harder durometer rubber down the middle, softer on the sides, and color choices - 21c only.

The Campos & Fortezzas certainly are a much better ride and have better handling/traction than Armadillos and most Contis. No reason to suffer with those anvils when there are tires like the Vred's out there.

I buy them at www.biketiresdirect.com for $30. each, ($37. for Tri's). That's their 'everyday' price. Easy to deal with, fast delivery, and will gladly exchange if you happen to get a defective unit.

Check 'em out! www.vredesteinusa.com

Telegram Sam said:
I have fixed four punctures in as many rides and I am looking for a set of tires that really works- I have read all about the Kevlar this and reinforced that, but I don't know what direction I want to go in...I take that back, I will not fill my tubes with green ****.
Any suggestions folks?

I live in New Mexico where goat head thorns are everywhere. I use Ruffy Tuffy 700x27 tires from rivendellbicycles.com with pre-slimed appropriatelly sized (presta)tubes and have had only one flat in a year, a pinch flat. I'm very pleased with these.

Bill Wellborn said:
I live in New Mexico where goat head thorns are everywhere. I use Ruffy Tuffy 700x27 tires from rivendellbicycles.com with pre-slimed appropriatelly sized (presta)tubes and have had only one flat in a year, a pinch flat. I'm very pleased with these.
Howdy Bill, I was up in the Albq. this weekend visiting a new grandbaby. I know what you mean about goat heads. They're about the only thing that grows well in by back yard. :eek:

I've had superb luck with Ultragators in 700X28. No punctures in almost 4000K. I don't quite like the slime myself.

Telegram Sam said:
I have fixed four punctures in as many rides and I am looking for a set of tires that really works- I have read all about the Kevlar this and reinforced that, but I don't know what direction I want to go in...I take that back, I will not fill my tubes with green ****.
Any suggestions folks?