Puncture proof tires

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tim Dunne, Feb 8, 2003.

  1. Tim Dunne

    Tim Dunne Guest

    Hi peeps

    The time has come to retire. My bike, that is. Whilst in the LBS today, they were offering a tire
    referred to as a 'Dutch' variety, alledged to be puncture resistant. LBS salesperson talked up the
    seemingly impervious nature of said items, then showed me a sample cross section, which consisted in
    thicker than usual rubber tread area (still reasonable road-type tread rather than knobbly) with
    some braid inlay.

    Are these worth it? The way they were being sold, they were excellent, but I wondered if anyone had
    any more experience? Most of my punctures are hawthorn related...

    Tim

    --
    Sent from Brum, UK... ...scheduled completion Sept 2003 'God's electrician sparked up the heavens
    once again, heading northbound on the 7:10. And the lord said let there be commuters...' - Thea

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Tim Dunne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi peeps
    >
    > The time has come to retire. My bike, that is. Whilst in the LBS today,
    they
    > were offering a tire referred to as a 'Dutch' variety, alledged to be puncture resistant. LBS
    > salesperson talked up the seemingly impervious nature of said items, then showed me a sample cross
    > section, which
    consisted
    > in thicker than usual rubber tread area (still reasonable road-type tread rather than knobbly)
    > with some braid inlay.
    >
    > Are these worth it? The way they were being sold, they were excellent, but
    > wondered if anyone had any more experience? Most of my punctures are hawthorn related...

    In my experience there is no such thing as a puncture proof tyre, if there was, I for one would pay
    *anything* for it. The Shwalbe Marathon I got a couple of months ago was supposedly "puncture
    proof" according to the shop, but a drawing pin found its way into the tyre the other day. Probably
    the best tyres I've had are the Specialized Nimbus and the Vredestein Spider (Dutch).

  3. Clogicrogerc

    Clogicrogerc Guest

    What about the ones that are full of gooey stuff? I got a new goo filled tube from halfords the
    other day as they were on special and only 50p more than plain vanilla inner tubes. I couldnt get
    any air in it sadly so had to go back and swap it for another one the same but without the
    knackered valve!

    One week without a puncture - so they must work, right? Anyone got any good or bad tales to tell of
    these inner tubes?

    RC

  4. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "CLogicRogerC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What about the ones that are full of gooey stuff? I got a new goo filled
    tube
    > from halfords the other day as they were on special and only 50p more than plain vanilla inner
    > tubes. I couldnt get any air in it sadly so had to go
    back
    > and swap it for another one the same but without the knackered valve!
    >
    > One week without a puncture - so they must work, right? Anyone got any
    good or
    > bad tales to tell of these inner tubes?

    I've tried them and wasn't much impressed, it was still passing air with only a very small hole. I
    found it is much better to get the best protected tyres in the first place rather rely on slime
    tubes. Now I usually go many months with no punctures, my Specialized Nimbus front tyre has never
    been punctured in over a year.

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 11:13:58 -0000, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In my experience there is no such thing as a puncture proof tyre, if there was, I for one would
    > pay *anything* for it.

    http://www.airfreetires.com/

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  6. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 14:27:27 -0000, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> http://www.airfreetires.com/
    > I said a tyre not a lump of rock :)

    They are rumoured to be pretty good. Apparently.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  8. Simon Mason wrote:
    :::
    ::: One week without a puncture - so they must work, right? Anyone got any good or bad tales to tell
    ::: of these inner tubes?
    ::
    :: I've tried them and wasn't much impressed, it was still passing air with only a very small hole.
    :: I found it is much better to get the best protected tyres in the first place rather rely on
    :: slime tubes. Now I usually go many months with no punctures, my Specialized Nimbus front tyre
    :: has never been punctured in over a year.

    I've had slime filled tubes and found them great, quite effective at sealing small holes and turning
    what would otherwise have been an instant flat into nothing more than a slow leak that could be
    repaired at leisure. Sometimes it was less effective than at others - with a large enough hole, and
    in wet weather, water could enter between the tube and tyre preventing sealing from happening
    completely, and sometimes it seemed friction between tyre and tube would open up a hole again, but
    on the whole they worked very well - at least to get-me-home standard where a repair could be
    effected in warmth and dry.

    Now I use a kevalar belt tyre liner instead - this is better for preventing punctures rather than
    sealing them after they've happened. It's still not puncture proof - they don't prevent
    pinch-punctures or something going into the sidewall, but those kind of punctures are quite rare
    IME. My current front tyre, a 1" skinny treadless slick is mess of slashes and gashes with the tyre
    liner visible in some places through the gaps - but the tube has remained unpunctured. So I have no
    hesitation in saying such measures can work to substantially reduce the numbers of punctures you get
    and the inconvenience of them.

    Rich

  9. anon

    anon Guest

    On 09 Feb 2003 13:28:21 GMT, [email protected] (CLogicRogerC) wrote:

    >What about the ones that are full of gooey stuff? I got a new goo filled tube from halfords the
    >other day as they were on special and only 50p more than plain vanilla inner tubes. I couldnt get
    >any air in it sadly so had to go back and swap it for another one the same but without the
    >knackered valve!
    >
    >One week without a puncture - so they must work, right? Anyone got any good or bad tales to tell of
    >these inner tubes?
    >
    >RC
    Has anyone here ever tried to repair slime tubes? I tried once and the goo kept on seeping out of
    the hole so I couldnt get a clean surface for the patch. not worth the bother -get some good tyres
    and take a spare tube with you. I havent had a pucture now for the last 2 years and 3000 plus miles

  10. Specialized Aramadillo tyres are by far the best I've come across with Panaracer a close second.
    www.wiggle.co.uk do good offers .

    Since using them the only puctures I have had are due to rim tape problems. I used to get one a week
    on average on my daily commute.

    "Tim Dunne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi peeps
    >
    > The time has come to retire. My bike, that is. Whilst in the LBS today,
    they
    > were offering a tire referred to as a 'Dutch' variety, alledged to be puncture resistant. LBS
    > salesperson talked up the seemingly impervious nature of said items, then showed me a sample cross
    > section, which
    consisted
    > in thicker than usual rubber tread area (still reasonable road-type tread rather than knobbly)
    > with some braid inlay.
    >
    > Are these worth it? The way they were being sold, they were excellent, but
    > wondered if anyone had any more experience? Most of my punctures are hawthorn related...
    >
    > Tim
    >
    > --
    > Sent from Brum, UK... ...scheduled completion Sept 2003 'God's electrician sparked up the heavens
    > once again, heading northbound on the 7:10. And the lord said let there be commuters...' - Thea
    > Gilmore Look, mum, an anorak on a bike! Check out www.nervouscyclist.org

  11. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    [email protected] (who?) wrote:
    > Has anyone here ever tried to repair slime tubes?

    I've successfully patched WrenchForce pre-slimed tubes (not actually Slime, but contain some sort
    of sealant)

    > I tried once and the goo kept on seeping out of the hole so I couldn't get a clean surface for
    > the patch.

    Hang tube or rotate wheel so puncture is at top, then sealant will drain away from the area.

    ~PB

  12. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in news:nGz1a.1616$mH4.386 @newsfep1-gui.server.ntli.net:
    > Specialized Aramadillo tyres are by far the best I've come across ...

    I have one of these and, whilst it has not punctured (over 6 months) I find it doesn't grip very
    well in the wet. When it wears out I'll probably go back to the infamous Conti Top Touring or
    Schwalbe Marathons (these don't puncture much and grip better).

    Toby

  13. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "CLogicRogerC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]mb-bd.aol.com...
    > <<Specialized Nimbus front tyre has never been punctured in over a year.>>
    >
    > Is that kevlar? I once had a kevlar tyre but got a drawing pin straight
    through
    > it so was disappointed - I had been led to believe it was totally puncture proof.

    No, I think the main thing is that it's on the front wheel, most of my punctures are rear wheel
    only. A rear wheel Nimbus got a puncture fairly quickly.

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300003113 or

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/product_detail.asp?ProdID=-427414277

  14. Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    > In my experience there is no such thing as a puncture proof tyre, if there was, I for one would
    > pay *anything* for it.

    If you mean that you could pay for a team car to follow you around with spare wheels. :)

    Yesterday I had a very curious incident. I flatted not 400 yards from home having ridden 70 miles -
    not in itself remarkable, but when I got home I found a snakebite puncture (rather surprising since
    I fully inflated the tyre that morning) _and_ a broken spoke causing the brakes to rub - I could
    hardly have broken the spoke beforehand, I would have noticed; but equally I can hardly believe that
    the spoke broke from being walked home.

  15. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    CLogicRogerC wrote:
    > Is that kevlar? I once had a kevlar tyre but got a drawing pin straight through it so was
    > disappointed - I had been led to believe it was totally puncture proof.

    Of course it's not. Sharp objects often either go through the weave or cut the kevlar belt. A
    drawing pin will normally go through any bicycle tyre with tread shallower than the pin. It's
    riduculous to expect tyres to be drawing pin proof. It's not as if cyclists run over a lot of them.
    A truly puncture proof tyre would be dreadful to ride (including Airfree tyres*).

    For the time being at least, cyclists should just accept that they may get the occasional puncture.
    Be prepared with all the right gear, techniques and time for fixing them, then they won't be a
    nightmare. If tyres are a struggle to fit, use different tyres (perhaps try them on in a bike shop
    first?). This makes a massive difference to how much of a pain punctures are.

    * This was the strong impression I was left with after reading a long detailed review from one of
    their fans!

    ~PB

  16. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:

    > For the time being at least, cyclists should just accept that they may =
    get
    > the occasional puncture. Be prepared with all the right gear, technique=
    > and time for fixing them, then they won't be a nightmare.

    Yup. I've got kevlar banded Schwalbe Marathons, and though I don't get=20 *many* punctures, I got a
    rear one yesterday. Back wheel has a quick=20 release, so easy to remove once I'd unhooked the
    middle of the V brake,=20 Park tyre levers (=A32 for 3) made short work of removing the tyre, new=20
    tube in after checking nothing was still poking through the tyre, tyre=20 back on the rim, wheel
    back on the bike, pump it up. All done in a few=20 minutes, and I found and repaired the hole in the
    original tube when I=20 was back at home, not holding anyone else up.

    Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics,
    Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  17. Brian

    Brian Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Specialized Aramadillo tyres are by far the best I've come across with

    Ack! I had a pair of Specialized Hemisphere EX Armadillos. Within 6 months the side walls had
    cracked to bits :-(

    --
    brian (no longer a Specialized tyre fan)

  18. Ross

    Ross Guest

    "Brian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > Specialized Aramadillo tyres are by far the best I've come across with
    >

    > Ack! I had a pair of Specialized Hemisphere EX Armadillos. Within 6 months the side walls had
    > cracked to bits :-(
    >
    > --
    > brian (no longer a Specialized tyre fan)

    I've been using my Hemispheres for the last year without any problem, still get punctures every now
    and then but they are from slivers of glass, nails big sharp flint etc.

  19. Tim Dunne

    Tim Dunne Guest

    "Tim Dunne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    8<... my enquiry about puncture proof tires

    Thanks for help, all. I'm going to give them a go - my tires are currently dire, and the situation
    can't get any worse than it is now.

    Thanks for your input,

    Tim
    --
    Sent from Brum, UK... ...scheduled completion Sept 2003 'What's keeping the White House white? Is it
    chalk, is it fog, is it fear?' Steve Skaith, 'America For Beginners' Look, mum, an anorak on a bike!