Puncture proof tires

Tim Dunne

Guest
Hi peeps

The time has come to retire. My bike, that is. Whilst in the LBS today, they were offering a tire
referred to as a 'Dutch' variety, alledged to be puncture resistant. LBS salesperson talked up the
seemingly impervious nature of said items, then showed me a sample cross section, which consisted in
thicker than usual rubber tread area (still reasonable road-type tread rather than knobbly) with
some braid inlay.

Are these worth it? The way they were being sold, they were excellent, but I wondered if anyone had
any more experience? Most of my punctures are hawthorn related...

Tim

--
Sent from Brum, UK... ...scheduled completion Sept 2003 'God's electrician sparked up the heavens
once again, heading northbound on the 7:10. And the lord said let there be commuters...' - Thea

"Tim Dunne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi peeps
>
> The time has come to retire. My bike, that is. Whilst in the LBS today,
they
> were offering a tire referred to as a 'Dutch' variety, alledged to be puncture resistant. LBS
> salesperson talked up the seemingly impervious nature of said items, then showed me a sample cross
> section, which
consisted
> in thicker than usual rubber tread area (still reasonable road-type tread rather than knobbly)
> with some braid inlay.
>
> Are these worth it? The way they were being sold, they were excellent, but
> wondered if anyone had any more experience? Most of my punctures are hawthorn related...

In my experience there is no such thing as a puncture proof tyre, if there was, I for one would pay
*anything* for it. The Shwalbe Marathon I got a couple of months ago was supposedly "puncture
proof" according to the shop, but a drawing pin found its way into the tyre the other day. Probably
the best tyres I've had are the Specialized Nimbus and the Vredestein Spider (Dutch).

What about the ones that are full of gooey stuff? I got a new goo filled tube from halfords the
other day as they were on special and only 50p more than plain vanilla inner tubes. I couldnt get
any air in it sadly so had to go back and swap it for another one the same but without the
knackered valve!

One week without a puncture - so they must work, right? Anyone got any good or bad tales to tell of
these inner tubes?

RC

"CLogicRogerC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What about the ones that are full of gooey stuff? I got a new goo filled
tube
> from halfords the other day as they were on special and only 50p more than plain vanilla inner
> tubes. I couldnt get any air in it sadly so had to go
back
> and swap it for another one the same but without the knackered valve!
>
> One week without a puncture - so they must work, right? Anyone got any
good or
> bad tales to tell of these inner tubes?

I've tried them and wasn't much impressed, it was still passing air with only a very small hole. I
found it is much better to get the best protected tyres in the first place rather rely on slime
tubes. Now I usually go many months with no punctures, my Specialized Nimbus front tyre has never
been punctured in over a year.

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 11:13:58 -0000, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

> In my experience there is no such thing as a puncture proof tyre, if there was, I for one would
> pay *anything* for it.

http://www.airfreetires.com/

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 14:27:27 -0000, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> http://www.airfreetires.com/
> I said a tyre not a lump of rock :)

They are rumoured to be pretty good. Apparently.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Simon Mason wrote:
:::
::: One week without a puncture - so they must work, right? Anyone got any good or bad tales to tell
::: of these inner tubes?
::
:: I've tried them and wasn't much impressed, it was still passing air with only a very small hole.
:: I found it is much better to get the best protected tyres in the first place rather rely on
:: slime tubes. Now I usually go many months with no punctures, my Specialized Nimbus front tyre
:: has never been punctured in over a year.

I've had slime filled tubes and found them great, quite effective at sealing small holes and turning
what would otherwise have been an instant flat into nothing more than a slow leak that could be
repaired at leisure. Sometimes it was less effective than at others - with a large enough hole, and
in wet weather, water could enter between the tube and tyre preventing sealing from happening
completely, and sometimes it seemed friction between tyre and tube would open up a hole again, but
on the whole they worked very well - at least to get-me-home standard where a repair could be
effected in warmth and dry.

Now I use a kevalar belt tyre liner instead - this is better for preventing punctures rather than
sealing them after they've happened. It's still not puncture proof - they don't prevent
pinch-punctures or something going into the sidewall, but those kind of punctures are quite rare
IME. My current front tyre, a 1" skinny treadless slick is mess of slashes and gashes with the tyre
liner visible in some places through the gaps - but the tube has remained unpunctured. So I have no
hesitation in saying such measures can work to substantially reduce the numbers of punctures you get
and the inconvenience of them.

Rich

On 09 Feb 2003 13:28:21 GMT, [email protected] (CLogicRogerC) wrote:

>What about the ones that are full of gooey stuff? I got a new goo filled tube from halfords the
>other day as they were on special and only 50p more than plain vanilla inner tubes. I couldnt get
>any air in it sadly so had to go back and swap it for another one the same but without the
>knackered valve!
>
>One week without a puncture - so they must work, right? Anyone got any good or bad tales to tell of
>these inner tubes?
>
>RC
Has anyone here ever tried to repair slime tubes? I tried once and the goo kept on seeping out of
the hole so I couldnt get a clean surface for the patch. not worth the bother -get some good tyres
and take a spare tube with you. I havent had a pucture now for the last 2 years and 3000 plus miles

Specialized Aramadillo tyres are by far the best I've come across with Panaracer a close second.
www.wiggle.co.uk do good offers .

Since using them the only puctures I have had are due to rim tape problems. I used to get one a week
on average on my daily commute.

[email protected] (who?) wrote:
> Has anyone here ever tried to repair slime tubes?

I've successfully patched WrenchForce pre-slimed tubes (not actually Slime, but contain some sort
of sealant)

> I tried once and the goo kept on seeping out of the hole so I couldn't get a clean surface for
> the patch.

Hang tube or rotate wheel so puncture is at top, then sealant will drain away from the area.

~PB

<[email protected]> wrote in news:nGz1a.1616$mH4.386 @newsfep1-gui.server.ntli.net:
> Specialized Aramadillo tyres are by far the best I've come across ...

I have one of these and, whilst it has not punctured (over 6 months) I find it doesn't grip very
well in the wet. When it wears out I'll probably go back to the infamous Conti Top Touring or
Schwalbe Marathons (these don't puncture much and grip better).

Toby

"CLogicRogerC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> <<Specialized Nimbus front tyre has never been punctured in over a year.>>
>
> Is that kevlar? I once had a kevlar tyre but got a drawing pin straight
through
> it so was disappointed - I had been led to believe it was totally puncture proof.

No, I think the main thing is that it's on the front wheel, most of my punctures are rear wheel
only. A rear wheel Nimbus got a puncture fairly quickly.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300003113 or

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/product_detail.asp?ProdID=-427414277

Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
> In my experience there is no such thing as a puncture proof tyre, if there was, I for one would
> pay *anything* for it.

If you mean that you could pay for a team car to follow you around with spare wheels. :)

Yesterday I had a very curious incident. I flatted not 400 yards from home having ridden 70 miles -
not in itself remarkable, but when I got home I found a snakebite puncture (rather surprising since
I fully inflated the tyre that morning) _and_ a broken spoke causing the brakes to rub - I could
hardly have broken the spoke beforehand, I would have noticed; but equally I can hardly believe that
the spoke broke from being walked home.

CLogicRogerC wrote:
> Is that kevlar? I once had a kevlar tyre but got a drawing pin straight through it so was
> disappointed - I had been led to believe it was totally puncture proof.

Of course it's not. Sharp objects often either go through the weave or cut the kevlar belt. A
drawing pin will normally go through any bicycle tyre with tread shallower than the pin. It's
riduculous to expect tyres to be drawing pin proof. It's not as if cyclists run over a lot of them.
A truly puncture proof tyre would be dreadful to ride (including Airfree tyres*).

For the time being at least, cyclists should just accept that they may get the occasional puncture.
Be prepared with all the right gear, techniques and time for fixing them, then they won't be a
nightmare. If tyres are a struggle to fit, use different tyres (perhaps try them on in a bike shop
first?). This makes a massive difference to how much of a pain punctures are.

* This was the strong impression I was left with after reading a long detailed review from one of
their fans!

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:

> For the time being at least, cyclists should just accept that they may =
get
> the occasional puncture. Be prepared with all the right gear, technique=
> and time for fixing them, then they won't be a nightmare.

Yup. I've got kevlar banded Schwalbe Marathons, and though I don't get=20 *many* punctures, I got a
rear one yesterday. Back wheel has a quick=20 release, so easy to remove once I'd unhooked the
middle of the V brake,=20 Park tyre levers (=A32 for 3) made short work of removing the tyre, new=20
tube in after checking nothing was still poking through the tyre, tyre=20 back on the rim, wheel
back on the bike, pump it up. All done in a few=20 minutes, and I found and repaired the hole in the
original tube when I=20 was back at home, not holding anyone else up.

Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics,
Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

<[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Specialized Aramadillo tyres are by far the best I've come across with

Ack! I had a pair of Specialized Hemisphere EX Armadillos. Within 6 months the side walls had
cracked to bits :-(

--
brian (no longer a Specialized tyre fan)

"Brian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > Specialized Aramadillo tyres are by far the best I've come across with
>

> Ack! I had a pair of Specialized Hemisphere EX Armadillos. Within 6 months the side walls had
> cracked to bits :-(
>
> --
> brian (no longer a Specialized tyre fan)

I've been using my Hemispheres for the last year without any problem, still get punctures every now
and then but they are from slivers of glass, nails big sharp flint etc.

"Tim Dunne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

8<... my enquiry about puncture proof tires

Thanks for help, all. I'm going to give them a go - my tires are currently dire, and the situation
can't get any worse than it is now.

Thanks for your input,

Tim
--
Sent from Brum, UK... ...scheduled completion Sept 2003 'What's keeping the White House white? Is it
chalk, is it fog, is it fear?' Steve Skaith, 'America For Beginners' Look, mum, an anorak on a bike!