Puncture Rate

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Drinky, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Drinky

    Drinky Guest

    How many punctures do people get?

    I know I'm tempting fate here but I've done around 4,000 (on Continental GP3000's) miles since
    having my last puncture .

    Tags:

  2. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > How many punctures do people get?
    >
    > I know I'm tempting fate here but I've done around 4,000 (on Continental GP3000's) miles since
    > having my last puncture .

    Ive never had a puncture (touch wood) - on my MTD (normal nobbly tyres) OR my new Raleigh X1.

    I must've done about 1200 miles or so in total (not quite as many as you but im getting there!)

  3. "Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > How many punctures do people get?
    >
    > I know I'm tempting fate here but I've done around 4,000 (on Continental GP3000's) miles since
    > having my last puncture .

    I'd had none in around 10k miles since I put kevalar tyre liners in, until I put on a new tyre
    without it and got a puncture again within a week. Now the liner is back in and all has been
    fine since....

    Rich

  4. I've heard other say that the gp 3000's are good but I've had a couple of punctures on mine this
    year. Perhaps it's just bad luck and would maybe have got them with any make. My first tyres were
    axial pro's and I found them to be better for puncture resistance. I suppose it's just luck - you
    can do thousands of miles and not get a puncture and then get several a few miles apart. "Drinky"

  5. Drinky wrote:

    > How many punctures do people get?

    Too bleedin' many :-( Possibly a corollary of using poncy race tyres (Schwalbe Stelvios) for
    commuting, mind. But I've decided to give the Speedmachine a long-overdue service, so I've been
    using my Nimbus-shod MTB for a day and a half now. So far I have escaped the attentions of the
    P+nct+r+ Fairy...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  6. Simon Galgut

    Simon Galgut Guest

    "Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > How many punctures do people get?

    Two so far this year (about 12000 miles)

    Both were in my Conti Gator Skins. I've also used Michelin ProRace and Panaracer Fire XC Pro for a
    fair proportion of that mileage. However the Panaracers have slime liners and I have had to bin a
    Michelin because it got cut so badly.

    Regards Simon

  7. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > How many punctures do people get?
    >
    > I know I'm tempting fate here but I've done around 4,000 (on Continental GP3000's) miles since
    > having my last puncture .

    Ive never had a puncture (touch wood) - on my MTD (normal nobbly tyres) OR my new Raleigh X1.

    I must've done about 1200 miles or so in total (not quite as many as you but im getting there!)

  8. Jamie G

    Jamie G Guest

    "Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > How many punctures do people get?
    >
    > I know I'm tempting fate here but I've done around 4,000 (on Continental GP3000's) miles since
    > having my last puncture .

    When I buy a new bike I tend to get 2 or 3 punctures in the first week, and then none until it
    gets nicked.

  9. "Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > How many punctures do people get?
    >
    > I know I'm tempting fate here but I've done around 4,000 (on Continental GP3000's) miles since
    > having my last puncture .

    I'd had none in around 10k miles since I put kevalar tyre liners in, until I put on a new tyre
    without it and got a puncture again within a week. Now the liner is back in and all has been
    fine since....

    Rich

  10. John Mallard

    John Mallard Guest

    "Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > How many punctures do people get?
    >
    > I know I'm tempting fate here but I've done around 4,000 (on Continental GP3000's) miles since
    > having my last puncture .

    If you'd asked this yesterday, I'd have said none in the two and a half years since my last set of
    new tyres. But guess what happened today?

    Probably time for a new rear tyre then. And _must_ remember to keep them rock hard.

    --
    Cheerful pedalling John Mallard

  11. I've heard other say that the gp 3000's are good but I've had a couple of punctures on mine this

  12. Drinky wrote:

    > How many punctures do people get?

    Too bleedin' many :-( Possibly a corollary of using poncy race tyres (Schwalbe Stelvios) for
    commuting, mind. But I've decided to give the Speedmachine a long-overdue service, so I've been
    using my Nimbus-shod MTB for a day and a half now. So far I have escaped the attentions of the
    P+nct+r+ Fairy...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  13. Simon Galgut

    Simon Galgut Guest

  14. Drinky wrote:
    > How many punctures do people get?
    >
    > I know I'm tempting fate here but I've done around 4,000 (on Continental GP3000's) miles since
    > having my last puncture .

    None for about 10 years, apart from a couple of tubes that ripped around the valve.

    I once had 5 in a single ride though - it was thorn season.

  15. Jamie G

    Jamie G Guest

    "Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > How many punctures do people get?
    >
    > I know I'm tempting fate here but I've done around 4,000 (on Continental GP3000's) miles since
    > having my last puncture .

    When I buy a new bike I tend to get 2 or 3 punctures in the first week, and then none until it
    gets nicked.

  16. John Mallard

    John Mallard Guest

  17. Drinky wrote:
    > How many punctures do people get?
    >
    > I know I'm tempting fate here but I've done around 4,000 (on Continental GP3000's) miles since
    > having my last puncture .

    None for about 10 years, apart from a couple of tubes that ripped around the valve.

    I once had 5 in a single ride though - it was thorn season.

  18. I got one on my turbo trainer a f ew days ago %-/ On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 16:01:58 +0000 (UTC), Drinky
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > How many punctures do people get?
    >
    > I know I'm tempting fate here but I've done around 4,000 (on Continental GP3000's) miles since
    > having my last puncture .

  19. I got one on my turbo trainer a f ew days ago %-/ On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 16:01:58 +0000 (UTC), Drinky
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > How many punctures do people get?
    >
    > I know I'm tempting fate here but I've done around 4,000 (on Continental GP3000's) miles since
    > having my last puncture .

  20. "Lee" <[email protected]com>typed

    > "Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > How many punctures do people get?
    > >
    > > I know I'm tempting fate here but I've done around 4,000 (on Continental GP3000's) miles since
    > > having my last puncture .
    > >

    > Ive never had a puncture (touch wood) - on my MTD (normal nobbly tyres) OR my new Raleigh X1.

    About 1 puncture per 1000 miles on average, but could go several thousand miles between punctures
    and then have a run of quite a few.