Puncture Rate

Drinky <[email protected]> wrote:

> How many punctures do people get?
>
> I know I'm tempting fate here but I've done around 4,000 (on Continental GP3000's) miles since
> having my last puncture .

Rob's had four in the last fortnight, all of them on his weekend leisure rides, three of them on the
same ride. He was Not Happy :-( Tyres were Primo Comets, about 1500 miles old. He's since swapped
the rear one for a Schwalbe Stelvio.

I had one on Monday, in a Tioga Comp Pool, but I have no idea of the mileage, as I've only just got
a new computer after the last one died of heatstroke at Castle Combe in the summer. Last one before
that was probably at least two years ago IIRC, so I've been pretty lucky really.

--
Carol Hague "The bicycle is the product of pure reason applied to motion."
- Angela Carter, "The Lady of the House of Love"

I had one on Monday

"Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> How many punctures do people get?
>
> I know I'm tempting fate here but I've done around 4,000 (on Continental GP3000's) miles since
> having my last puncture .
Several a week until two weeks ago when I fitted Specialized Armadillos (700cx23). Since then,
none!(Early days....)

"Carol Hague" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1g5etxi.bfqwgz1e0md4mN%[email protected]...
> I had one on Monday, in a Tioga Comp Pool, but I have no idea of the mileage, as I've only just
> got a new computer after the last one died of heatstroke at Castle Combe in the summer. Last one
> before that was probably at least two years ago IIRC, so I've been pretty lucky really.
>
> --
> Carol Hague "The bicycle is the product of pure reason applied to motion."
> - Angela Carter, "The Lady of the House of Love"
>

> I had one on Monday

Carol, I've been away for a while, What happened about Rob's altercation with the lady motorist when
she accused him of criminal damage?

--
Cheerful pedalling John Mallard

"Carol Hague" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1g5etxi.bfqwgz1e0md4mN%[email protected]...
> I had one on Monday, in a Tioga Comp Pool, but I have no idea of the mileage, as I've only just
> got a new computer after the last one died of heatstroke at Castle Combe in the summer. Last one
> before that was probably at least two years ago IIRC, so I've been pretty lucky really.
>
> --
> Carol Hague "The bicycle is the product of pure reason applied to motion."
> - Angela Carter, "The Lady of the House of Love"
>

> I had one on Monday

Carol, I've been away for a while, What happened about Rob's altercation with the lady motorist when
she accused him of criminal damage?

--
Cheerful pedalling John Mallard

"Carol Hague" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1g5etxi.bfqwgz1e0md4mN%[email protected]...
> I had one on Monday, in a Tioga Comp Pool, but I have no idea of the mileage, as I've only just
> got a new computer after the last one died of heatstroke at Castle Combe in the summer. Last one
> before that was probably at least two years ago IIRC, so I've been pretty lucky really.
>
> --
> Carol Hague "The bicycle is the product of pure reason applied to motion."
> - Angela Carter, "The Lady of the House of Love"
>

> I had one on Monday

Carol, I've been away for a while, What happened about Rob's altercation with the lady motorist when
she accused him of criminal damage?

--
Cheerful pedalling John Mallard

> plastic bottles about there's still plenty of glass around !

Glass is driving me mad, thorns in the early autumn. I used to think that hard was bad on road, then
was persuaded the opposite, but now have changed back. Since very few of my punctures have been
pinches and I am sure I get fewer flats on softer tyres I think the sharp things get less of a
chance to stick in when they are less firmly pressed by the tyre However I don't like to work
against soft tyres , so I still pump them fairly hard.On the road bike I congratulate myself if I
get back without a flat after 100m or so , though probably that is more often than not. A week of
commuting on 23mm tyres without slime I expect at least one flat in winter. Perhaps I am just a
miserable old pessimist. Hybrid tyres with slime in them are very reliable and that's what I use for
work. TerryJ

John Mallard <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've been away for a while, What happened about Rob's altercation with the lady motorist when she
> accused him of criminal damage?

It got to the second magistrate's court appearance, whereupon the magistrate threw it out for the
load of old tosh it was before we went into court, thank goodness - and thank you for remembering it
and caring enough to ask. Good to see you [1] back here again :)

Just in case, we have since moved to East Yorkshire, which serves the etra purpose of confusing
people mightily, since we haven't changed the company name :)

[1] Well, not actually *see* you, but you know what I mean :)

--
Carol Hague "...it's not normal if you don't like cake..." - Sean Yates

"Carol Hague" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1g5ew20.1f2s98716ik0gzN%[email protected]...
> John Mallard <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > I've been away for a while, What happened about Rob's altercation with the lady motorist when
> > she accused him of criminal damage?
>
> It got to the second magistrate's court appearance, whereupon the magistrate threw it out for the
> load of old tosh it was before we went into court, thank goodness -
[...]

Hurrah, hurrah and errrr, Thrice hurrah!

> Just in case, we have since moved to East Yorkshire,
[...] commiserations! ;-)

--
Cheerful pedalling John Mallard

"Carol Hague" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1g5ew20.1f2s98716ik0gzN%[email protected]...
> John Mallard <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > I've been away for a while, What happened about Rob's altercation with the lady motorist when
> > she accused him of criminal damage?
>
> It got to the second magistrate's court appearance, whereupon the magistrate threw it out for the
> load of old tosh it was before we went into court, thank goodness -
[...]

Hurrah, hurrah and errrr, Thrice hurrah!

> Just in case, we have since moved to East Yorkshire,
[...] commiserations! ;-)

--
Cheerful pedalling John Mallard

"Carol Hague" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1g5ew20.1f2s98716ik0gzN%[email protected]...
> John Mallard <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > I've been away for a while, What happened about Rob's altercation with the lady motorist when
> > she accused him of criminal damage?
>
> It got to the second magistrate's court appearance, whereupon the magistrate threw it out for the
> load of old tosh it was before we went into court, thank goodness -
[...]

Hurrah, hurrah and errrr, Thrice hurrah!

> Just in case, we have since moved to East Yorkshire,
[...] commiserations! ;-)

--
Cheerful pedalling John Mallard

John Mallard <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Carol Hague" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1g5ew20.1f2s98716ik0gzN%[email protected]...

> > Just in case, we have since moved to East Yorkshire,
> [...] commiserations! ;-)

Hey, it could be worse - at least we're not back in Preston :)

Incidentally, your absence wasn't caused by another dive into the canal I hope?

--
Carol Hague "Unfortunately you can't see that from here anymore, as they've gone and built Plymouth
in the way."