Puncture repairs failing

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Doki <[email protected]> wrote:
> : I've had a couple of punctures that I've repaired leak again. The patch
> : bubbles up above the hole and eventually gives up. I've used bog standard
> : cheapo puncture repair kit gear, and done all the usual sanding, lots of
> : time for the glue to dry things. Any ideas?
>
> I'll probably get flamed for this, but just bin the tube. If you by tubes
> mail order in batches of 10 you can get them for £1 - £2 a go depending on
> quality. 10 last me 18 mths - 2 years on average.

Not a flame, but note that conditions vary. A mate of mine had 6 punctures on
one day in the rain. He wasn't carrying 6 tubes. But he did have a patch kit.

> My time is worth more than that, and I've never been happy with repairs on
> narrow (23mm) tyres. I've seen them lift off in the heat before and I don't
> want that happening when I'm doing 50mph and braking hard!

Why would 23mm tyres be more prone to have a repair fail, aside from the
generally higher pressures?
--
"A kilt opens up new possibilities."
- Gary D. Schwartz in rec.backcountry

Doki wrote:

> "Sandy Morton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>I use about 150 in an average summer - less when it's dry and more
>>when it's wet - and pay significantly less than £1-00:)

> Where do you buy your tubes, if you don't mind me asking?

More to the point, where TF does he ride? Punctureville, Arizona?

In news:40cf58ba.0@entanet,
Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> typed:
> Doki wrote:
>
>> "Sandy Morton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> I use about 150 in an average summer - less when it's dry and more
>>> when it's wet - and pay significantly less than £1-00:)

>> Where do you buy your tubes, if you don't mind me asking?

> More to the point, where TF does he ride? Punctureville, Arizona?

I don't think he's the one riding the bikes.

Soup popped his head over the parapet,saw what was going on and said

>> I use about 150 in an average summer - less when it's dry and more

> when it's wet - and pay significantly less than £1-00:)

150 tubes in three months that's more than 10 punctures a week
you are either very unlucky or I have picked something up wrong

--
Yours S. addy not usable (not that you would try it) ( )
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant! / \

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:

> I don't think he's the one riding the bikes.

Ah...<light bulb comes on>

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:56:10 +0200, "Mark South"
<[email protected]>:

>> Roos was /trying/ to get a couple mail order last week from the Usual
>> Suspects. With prestas they really are quite hard to come by in the UK :-(

>Have you a logical explanantion for the strong preference, Pete?

Does "rims drilled for Presta" count as a logical explanation? ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:33:26 GMT, "Soup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

> 150 tubes in three months that's more than 10 punctures a week
>you are either very unlucky or I have picked something up wrong

I think you'll find that the esteemed Mr Morton runs a bike hire
shop...

Mark South <[email protected]> wrote:

: Not a flame, but note that conditions vary. A mate of mine had 6 punctures on
: one day in the rain. He wasn't carrying 6 tubes. But he did have a patch kit.

That's different. I carry two spare tubes and a stack of Park Glueless patches
on the road. The park patches aren't bad - they'll hold at 80-90 PSI and so
will get be home. Then I bin the tube. It's a long, long time since I've had
more than two punctures in a ride though (grasps nearest wooden object...)

: Why would 23mm tyres be more prone to have a repair fail, aside from the
: generally higher pressures?

There's no aside: it is the higher pressures. I run my tyres at 120 PSI/8.5 bar.
I run MTB tyres at 45 PSI (MTB's are imperial :). It's much easier to get a
patch to stick at 45 PSI.

A very minor additional point is that the patch becomes a significant % of the
width of the tube, meaning it gets bent more, which doesn't help.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

"Mark South" <[email protected]> writes:

>"Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Arthur Clune wrote:
>>
>> > But if you are just buying box of 10 mail order once a year this doesn't

>apply?
>>
>> Roos was /trying/ to get a couple mail order last week from the Usual
>> Suspects. With prestas they really are quite hard to come by in the UK :-(

>Have you a logical explanantion for the strong preference, Pete?

In my case: too old to learn new valves :)
(in Pete's case: because he doesn't do weak preferences?)

(and yes, probably the rims won't take them either)

My hack bikes in the NL had woods/dunlop valves, sporty bikes Presta.

Roos

Arthur Clune wrote:

>> Why would 23mm tyres be more prone to have a repair fail, aside from
>> the generally higher pressures?

> There's no aside: it is the higher pressures. I run my tyres at 120
> PSI/8.5 bar. I run MTB tyres at 45 PSI (MTB's are imperial :). It's
> much easier to get a patch to stick at 45 PSI.

I don't see why higher pressure makes a patch any less reliable. The
pressure is contained by the tyre. The patched tube just presses harder
against the tyre. That should help, if anything.

I very rarely get any failures with my patches in 130psi 23mm tyres, and
it's only a slow puncture when anything does go wrong with them.

~PB

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]>typed

> Doki wrote:

> > "Sandy Morton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>I use about 150 in an average summer - less when it's dry and more
> >>when it's wet - and pay significantly less than £1-00:)

> > Where do you buy your tubes, if you don't mind me asking?

> More to the point, where TF does he ride? Punctureville, Arizona?

I don't know how much Sandy rides.
Running a cycle hire business means his clients pick up punctures...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

In article <40cf58ba.0@entanet>, Zog The Undeniable
<[email protected]> wrote:
> More to the point, where TF does he ride? Punctureville, Arizona?

On the bicycle island where I have about 180 hiring bikes.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island

news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:56:10 +0200, "Mark South"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
> >> Roos was /trying/ to get a couple mail order last week from the Usual
> >> Suspects. With prestas they really are quite hard to come by in the UK :-(

> >Have you a logical explanantion for the strong preference, Pete?

> Does "rims drilled for Presta" count as a logical explanation? ;-)

Yes, but I thought Pete would have said that. His post sunded like it was a
preference, not a necessity.
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

Mark South wrote:

> Yes, but I thought Pete would have said that. His post sunded like it was a
> preference, not a necessity.

Over the years I've simply found I get on better with prestas with fewer
of those "this pump lets out more air than it puts in" fiascos, so where
I've a choice I tend to go for them. ICBW but I think the Streetmachine
has rims drilled for them, so it makes sense to keep all 3 commonly used
bikes run the same thing. And that's 3 x 20", 1 x 26" and 2 x 16". 16"
presta tubes are relatively uncommon too :-(

I pump tyres up a lot more than I fix punctures in them, so it makes
sense to me to have the valves I get on better with.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

> Not flamed, but "for differing values of tube." I find it quite hard to get
> genuine 406 tubes (quite often the shops sell a sort of
> one-size-fails-to-fit-all 406 and 451 generic 20" thing), so I tend to keep
> them and repair them.

What would you call a "genuine 406" tube?

Schwalbe do a 28/47-355/406 - does that count? They seem to work fairly
well on 406 trike wheels anyway.

--
Carol
"Neither love nor evil conquers all, but evil cheats more."

> Mark South wrote:
>
> > Yes, but I thought Pete would have said that. His post sunded like it was a
> > preference, not a necessity.

> Over the years I've simply found I get on better with prestas with fewer
> of those "this pump lets out more air than it puts in" fiascos, so where
> I've a choice I tend to go for them. ICBW but I think the Streetmachine
> has rims drilled for them, so it makes sense to keep all 3 commonly used
> bikes run the same thing. And that's 3 x 20", 1 x 26" and 2 x 16". 16"
> presta tubes are relatively uncommon too :-(

There are other considerations though. The Schraeder valve is a more robust
design overall, and probably more widely available. For the long-distance
tourist, rims drilled for Schraeder are more practical because they will take
Presta tubes (with washers, possibly) as well.

That said, I tried to convert entirely to Presta a couple years ago, the choice
defined by the fact that I run a couple of road bikes. But with 14 pedal
vehicles in the stable I gave up. One even still has (*spit*) Woods valves.

> I pump tyres up a lot more than I fix punctures in them, so it makes
> sense to me to have the valves I get on better with.

Fair enough. I have two track pumps, one set up for Presta and one for
Schraeder. The only gotcha is remembering which is which.
--
"If the outdoors is a gym with dirt on the ground, or a place to
exercise, or to show off, and nothing more, you don't get it."

Mark South wrote:

> Fair enough. I have two track pumps, one set up for Presta and one for
> Schraeder. The only gotcha is remembering which is which.

I have a JoeBlow with a twin head so I've got both to hand any time, and
my mini pump converts too. But I just prefer presta valves to
Schraeders. <shrug>

Pete.
--

Pete Biggs <ppear{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

: I very rarely get any failures with my patches in 130psi 23mm tyres, and
: it's only a slow puncture when anything does go wrong with them.

This is it though. I never get failures with my patches, slow or otherwise since
I don't use them :) This is a good thing.

I know how to patch properly and it's usually fine. I just think that for the
sake of a few quid a year I'd rather not have the bother (both of doing it
in the first place and of sorting them out when they fail).

Arthur