puncture resistant (proof) tyres

samcrx3

Apr 25, 2005
I live in Australia and in an area that is notorious for cat heads. At the moment they are absolutely rife in our area. My last ride I ended up with at least 20 of the damn things stuck in my front tyre. I have slime liners under the tyre which do a pretty good job, but with a leathally sharp cathead, my tube is punctured.
I'm looking at added protection within the tyre. My current tyre doesn't offer any protection (Maxxis detonator 700 x 28c - came with the bike).
I'm looking at the Continental grand prix 4000 or Continental ultragatorskin.
Has anyone had experience with these and which one would offer me better puncture protection?
Thanks Sam

I have been riding on the Ultra Gatorskins now for around 500kms around Sydney and can't fault them.

Riding on ~110psi with 0 punctures *touch wood*

They cost ~35AU from probikekit.com which makes them cheaper than a lot of the other tyres available.

I don't know what cat heads are but I am assuming they are some kind of small thorny burr.

Cheapest, good solution: Try putting sealant into your tubes. It is particularly effective against small pinprick punctures. I don't know if there's a way to get sealant into a Presta valve (if there is someone please tell me) but you can buy tubes with the sealing liquid already in them.

garage sale GT said:
I don't know what cat heads are but I am assuming they are some kind of small thorny burr.

Cheapest, good solution: Try putting sealant into your tubes. It is particularly effective against small pinprick punctures. I don't know if there's a way to get sealant into a Presta valve (if there is someone please tell me) but you can buy tubes with the sealing liquid already in them.

You unfortunately can't put sealant in a road tyre because of the presta valve. Plus it makes it really heavy. I have used the 700c tubes with the sealant within them, they are hard to get in australia, but they aren't as good as what they say they are, around here anyway. Slime liners have been pretty good, but we have a cathead infestation here - it is the worst ever. The cathead (Caltrop) is a native Australian weed which has taken over because of the drought. It is more of a problem in country areas. A couple of links here. They are really nastly looking beasts with multiple thorns extruding from them.
http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weedident.cgi?tpl=plant.tpl&state=&s=&ibra=&card=H64

http://www.bathurst.yourguide.com.a...lass=general&story_id=571860&category=General

I realise I'm not the only one suffering with these horrible creatures - the poor guys in club races are being hit badly, as are mums who have prams with pneumatic tyres.
Perhaps there aren't any tyres that can beat these buggers. Perhaps a kevlar strip tyre or insert may be the go.
Thanks, Sam

There used to be a manufacturer that made a device that enabled a person to put sealant into presta tubes, but I believed it was discontinued...They now manufacture pre-filled presta tubes. In addition to puncture proof tires, I reccomended tire-liners as well...and yes, the sealant adds a bit of weight (not a painful amount). So if you can live with the weight addition, it's not a big deal.

Cat head. I understand that they are called goat heads there in N America. I remember people talking about similar problems there, especially in the south-west high deserts. Alienator probably know it well there in AZ.

Do a search on goat heads and I am sure there are previous threads discussing this problem.

I note also that a number of recent Blayne-Bathurst road race participants complained of the same.

Vittoria PitStop is a stop leak product designed for high pressure road tires/tubes and presta valves. Put can on open presta valve. When sealant stops flowing, put can in pocket and ride away. Simple. Effective.

samcrx3 said:
I live in Australia and in an area that is notorious for cat heads. ....
Has anyone had experience with these and which one would offer me better puncture protection?
Thanks Sam
One puncture-resistant tire that has a good reputation is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus, and it comes in a few c700 widths. The page for the North American distributor shows the tire better, but there is a Aus. distributor.

Also--what I have read online that some desperate people do is they cut a small 12mm-slice hole in a regular presta tube, squirt in slime and then patch the tube with a large patch.
~

Slugster438 said:
One puncture-resistant tire that has a good reputation is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus, and it comes in a few c700 widths. The page for the North American distributor shows the tire better, but there is a Aus. distributor.

Also--what I have read online that some desperate people do is they cut a small 12mm-slice hole in a regular presta tube, squirt in slime and then patch the tube with a large patch.
~
Years ago, in the '80s, there were tubes that were made of Kevlar. I can't remember the manufacturer but they were insanely expensive. I haven't seen them since then, though, so they are probably no longer made.

I feel your pain:eek:

I've been using Specialized Air Lock tubes (but only for the last few weeks). I've taken them out again. I had a puncture and the goop came out but wouldn't dry or seal it. Thankfully I still had my two spare tubes(and glueless patches) in my underseat bag. The tubes are really heavy too - they weigh more than a tyre - would be more than 250 grams so slow to ride with.

I've had a great run with Michelin Megium tyres but you probably need better than they can deliver.

This may sound horrendous but there are some better quality "solid" tyres for sale now. That may be fine for a training bike with a high spoke count - especially in the 'big flat land'.

Paul :)

samcrx3 said:
I live in Australia and in an area that is notorious for cat heads. At the moment they are absolutely rife in our area. My last ride I ended up with at least 20 of the damn things stuck in my front tyre. I have slime liners under the tyre which do a pretty good job, but with a leathally sharp cathead, my tube is punctured.
I'm looking at added protection within the tyre. My current tyre doesn't offer any protection (Maxxis detonator 700 x 28c - came with the bike).
Thanks Sam
Continental Ultra Gatorskin. Fantastic tire. 1300 miles no punctures @ 110psi. I roll over a lot glass and the like on our trail system here (kids with nothing better to do than to sabatoge bikers). Like them so much, they're now on my other bike also. My LBS says minimal difference between the 4000 and Ultra for roll resistance. I went with the cheaper Ultra. No dissapointments. FWIW.

Specialilzed Armadillos, easy. I have had a pair since 1999 and have commuted across London in winter with them, now they carry me round Wagga Wagga where bindis abound. I've pulled a few out, along with flints and glass, and to date have never had a puncture with them.

I bought a new pair today as the tread is coming away form the carcass, which can be excused after so long!

Currently using Continental Gatorskin Ultras, with Mr. Tuffy liners, plus slime in the tubes. I put it in through a small slit, which I patch with a regular small patch. I still get goatheads which go clear through the tires, liners, and tubes. I pulled three out on one ride, a little green Slime leaked out, but kept enough pressure to finish the ride.
Those "puncture proof" tubes are much heavier than the Slime, make tires a real struggle to remove and install, and generally fail when the stem pulls out of the tube. I don't notice the 112 grams the Slime adds. Darn stuff is sure messy, though.

I never done this but what stops you from getting sealant into a presta valve when using a brass presta to schrader adapter?
CJ ~ currently in Guam

garage sale GT said:

CJ Smith said:
I never done this but what stops you from getting sealant into a presta valve when using a brass presta to schrader adapter?
CJ ~ currently in Guam
The small orifice in a Presta valve would clog immediately with the Slime. On a Schraeder, you can remove the core. The only Prestas I've seen with a removable core are the ones that come with Slime pre-installed.

waldowales said:
The small orifice in a Presta valve would clog immediately with the Slime. On a Schraeder, you can remove the core. The only Prestas I've seen with a removable core are the ones that come with Slime pre-installed.
I have found that even many 27" Schraeder valve tubes won't take Slime even after you remove the core. It just doesn't want to go in.

Slime and similar products are full of particles or fibers to help the gel plug holes.

garage sale GT said:
I have found that even many 27" Schraeder valve tubes won't take Slime even after you remove the core. It just doesn't want to go in.

Slime and similar products are full of particles or fibers to help the gel plug holes.
Let the bottle suck a little air from the tube. If that doesn't clear the clog, clean the hole in the stem with a toothpick or a spoke and try again.

waldowales said:
Let the bottle suck a little air from the tube. If that doesn't clear the clog, clean the hole in the stem with a toothpick or a spoke and try again.
Trust me, I've tried it all. spoke, squeeze slime bottle, spoke, ssb, spoke, ssb......it just doesn't go.