Puncture-resistant tubulars

grahamspringett

Feb 26, 2004
I'm looking at getting a pair of carbon tubular aero wheels for racing and some training. I don't want to puncture.

Are there any with puncture-resistant belting like Specialized Armadillo clinchers? But I still want low weight...

grahamspringett said:
I'm looking at getting a pair of carbon tubular aero wheels for racing and some training. I don't want to puncture.

Are there any with puncture-resistant belting like Specialized Armadillo clinchers? But I still want low weight...
Everybody who likes puncturing, please stand.

Most tubulars have a puncture resistant belt of some sort or another. If you armored one like the Specialized Armadillo, you'd be missing the whole point of using tubulars. All of that cladding adds weight and diminishes suppleness.

oldbobcat said:
Everybody who likes puncturing, please stand.

Most tubulars have a puncture resistant belt of some sort or another. If you armored one like the Specialized Armadillo, you'd be missing the whole point of using tubulars. All of that cladding adds weight and diminishes suppleness.

I'm picturing a scenario in a race where I have a flat tub and no spare wheel. I guess a canister of puncure-fixing foam from Vittoria would get me back to the finish.

Are the belts in tubulars effective?

grahamspringett said:

No such thing as a free lunch, BUT, as a guy that rides tubies everyday, Conti Sprinter Gatorskins are great tires. Same extra threads in the casing as the clincher gatorskin, about $56 more than the sprinter. What you give up is a wee bit of suppleness found on a cotton tubie like the Vittoria. Still a better ride than any clincher(helmet-ON, flak vest-ON), but you give up a little 'comfort' for the man made casing of Conti vs cotton of Vittoria and others.

The only thing that costs you with tubies is the gluing on part which is no big deal and doesn't take days like some have said.

What you get is a great ride, safety, better cornering...and some 'bling' compared to the other nancys who still ride clinchers......(joking, take it easy!!)

Peter@vecchios said:
No such thing as a free lunch, BUT, as a guy that rides tubies everyday, Conti Sprinter Gatorskins are great tires. Same extra threads in the casing as the clincher gatorskin, about $56 more than the sprinter. What you give up is a wee bit of suppleness found on a cotton tubie like the Vittoria. Still a better ride than any clincher(helmet-ON, flak vest-ON), but you give up a little 'comfort' for the man made casing of Conti vs cotton of Vittoria and others.

The only thing that costs you with tubies is the gluing on part which is no big deal and doesn't take days like some have said.

What you get is a great ride, safety, better cornering...and some 'bling' compared to the other nancys who still ride clinchers......(joking, take it easy!!)

It's been 20 years since I dabbled with tubs as a junior but I'm revisiting the idea so I can get some light aero wheels for racing and a bit of training. I can't afford carbon clincher Aeolus wheels so I'm looking at some Token carbons and getting a PowerTap put in the back.

So I need to reacquaint myself with the delicate art which separates the 'real' racers from the weekend warriors.