Punctures on the trainer?...help!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Msa

Last Wednesday I fitted puncture resistant liners to my tyres (700x23) - fed up with punctures in
the winter. Put the bike on the trainer afterwards and rode for half an hour...until the rear tyre
went flat...puncture. I thought I may have nipped the tube when easing the tyre over the last bit of
rim with levers, although the puncture appeared to be on the tread side of the tube. Repaired the
puncture and refitted without use of tubes...came down in the morning...flat again. Repaired in
Friday evening..all was well. Went out for 100km ride on Sunday...no problems. 2 hours ago I put in
a 1 hour session on the trainer...took the bike off...puncture.

What's going on? I've checked the tyre inner, I've checked the rim tape. It only seems to happen
when on the Tacx trainer. I'm going to repair it tomorrow because it's ****** me off tonight! I'll
mark the tube where it is punctured and check around that area specifically.

Any suggestions in the mean time?

Regards, and feeling as deflated as my tube...

--
Mark

"Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Last Wednesday I fitted puncture resistant liners to my tyres (700x23) -
fed
> up with punctures in the winter. Put the bike on the trainer afterwards
and
> rode for half an hour...until the rear tyre went flat...puncture. I
thought
> I may have nipped the tube when easing the tyre over the last bit of rim with levers, although the
> puncture appeared to be on the tread side of the tube. Repaired the puncture and refitted without
> use of tubes...came down in the morning...flat again. Repaired in Friday evening..all was well.
> Went out for 100km ride on Sunday...no problems. 2 hours ago I put in a 1 hour session on the
> trainer...took the bike off...puncture.
>
> What's going on? I've checked the tyre inner, I've checked the rim tape. It only seems to happen
> when on the Tacx trainer. I'm going to repair it tomorrow because it's ****** me off tonight! I'll
> mark the tube where it
is
> punctured and check around that area specifically.
>
> Any suggestions in the mean time?
>
> Regards, and feeling as deflated as my tube...
>
>
> --
> Mark
> ______________________________________
>
> "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"
>
>

Apologies for replying to my own post! Sitting typing away at my dissertation and the puncture was
really bugging me so I decided to repair it tonight after all (any excuse to get away from Uni
work!). The puncture was in line with the join in the puncture resistant lining. I have no idea why
it was causing a puncture but I have tried taping over the joint with strips of electrical tape to
see if it makes a difference.

Why only on the trainer though???????

--
Mark

"Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Last Wednesday I fitted puncture resistant liners to my tyres (700x23) -
> fed
> > up with punctures in the winter. Put the bike on the trainer afterwards
> and
> > rode for half an hour...until the rear tyre went flat...puncture. I
> thought
> > I may have nipped the tube when easing the tyre over the last bit of rim with levers, although
> > the puncture appeared to be on the tread side of
the
> > tube. Repaired the puncture and refitted without use of tubes...came
down
> > in the morning...flat again. Repaired in Friday evening..all was well. Went out for 100km ride
> > on Sunday...no problems. 2 hours ago I put in a
> > hour session on the trainer...took the bike off...puncture.
> >
> > What's going on? I've checked the tyre inner, I've checked the rim
tape.
> > It only seems to happen when on the Tacx trainer. I'm going to repair
it
> > tomorrow because it's ****** me off tonight! I'll mark the tube where
it
> is
> > punctured and check around that area specifically.
> >
> > Any suggestions in the mean time?
> >
> > Regards, and feeling as deflated as my tube...
> >
> >
> > --
> > Mark
> > ______________________________________
> >
> > "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"
> >
> >
>
> Apologies for replying to my own post! Sitting typing away at my dissertation and the puncture was
> really bugging me so I decided to repair it tonight after all (any excuse to get away from Uni
> work!). The
puncture
> was in line with the join in the puncture resistant lining. I have no
idea
> why it was causing a puncture but I have tried taping over the joint with strips of electrical
> tape to see if it makes a difference.
>
> Why only on the trainer though???????
>
>
> --
> Mark
> ______________________________________
>
> "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"
>
>

Constant pressure ?

Graham

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

Because it puts a much greater stress on the tyre due to the smaller and highly curved contact area.
My tyres used to get very hot when turbo training, and ended up going sticky and blistered. My
trainer has a manually adjusted contact pressure with a bolt to tighten rather than the more common
spring-loaded variety, and I had to do it up quite tight to prevent slipping.

James

James Annan wrote:

> "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>
>>Why only on the trainer though???????
>>
>
> Because it puts a much greater stress on the tyre due to the smaller and highly curved contact
> area. My tyres used to get very hot when turbo training, and ended up going sticky and blistered.
> My trainer has a manually adjusted contact pressure with a bolt to tighten rather than the more
> common spring-loaded variety, and I had to do it up quite tight to prevent slipping.
>
> James
>

Yup, that sounds about right to me. It's the deformation of the tyre what does it, causing the liner
to fret against the tube. I used to see it a lot. You can try using a higher pressure in your tyres
and melting the ends of the tape (to get rounded edges), especially the corners.

--
Roger Thorpe

My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!

MSA wrote:
> The puncture was in line with the join in the puncture resistant lining. I have no idea why it was
> causing a puncture but I have tried taping over the joint with strips of electrical tape to see if
> it makes a difference.
>

This type of thing is known to cause punctures in normal road-use as well, so I suspect it would
only be a matter of time (and luck).

I wouldn't touch 'em - either just risk getting punctures or get thicker tyres instead.

~PB

Status
Not open for further replies.