PUNCTURES

Uwe Reymann

Guest
Having just gone back to a road bike after years of riding a mountain bike (specifically to avoid
punctures), it did not take me long to pick up my first puncture.

Besides, in future, ensuring that the tyres are pumped to maximum pressure, is there anything else I
should do to minimise punctures.

Thanks

Uwe

Hey Uwe... I found that using 23mm kevlar tires work best for me. Also, try to avoid RR tracks,
sandy or rocky roads and don't ride too close to the curb!

But hey, punctures are a fact of life for all cyclists and we just have to live with it!

Crystal...

"Uwe Reymann" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Having just gone back to a road bike after years of riding a mountain bike (specifically to avoid
> punctures), it did not take me long to pick up my first puncture.
>
> Besides, in future, ensuring that the tyres are pumped to maximum
pressure,
> is there anything else I should do to minimise punctures.
>

> Thanks
>

> Uwe

Uwe Reymann <[email protected]> wrote:
: Having just gone back to a road bike after years of riding a mountain bike (specifically to avoid
: punctures), it did not take me long to pick up my first puncture.

: Besides, in future, ensuring that the tyres are pumped to maximum pressure, is there anything else
: I should do to minimise punctures.

You could avoid sharp things!

Seriously, I've found the choice of tyre seems to make a world of difference when it comes to
punctures. I've been running 700 x 23c Michelin Axial Bi-Sport for the last year and have suffered
only one puncture. Maybe it's just luck, but riding on the same roads with Clements saw me repairing
tubes every couple of days. Hope this helps.

Cheerz, Lynzz

"Uwe Reymann" <[email protected]> wrote...
> Having just gone back to a road bike after years of riding a mountain bike (specifically to avoid
> punctures), it did not take me long to pick up my first puncture.

You can go a year with puncturing or you can get three in one day.

To help minimize flats, keep your 23mm-wide tires inflated to at least 110 if not 120 PSI (8 bar?);
don't ride in the junk -- ride closer to the white line if not to the left of it; occasionally run
your tires through your gloved hands to throw off the dirt and possible small sharp things as you're
out riding.

Avoid the obvious -- potholes and the first dry day after a rain.

> Besides, in future, ensuring that the tyres are pumped to maximum
pressure,
> is there anything else I should do to minimise punctures.

single easist thing I've found to prevent flats are kevlar tires. They are not a guarantee, but
they sure help alot. I honestly want to just ride mine over glass bottles to see what they can and
can't handle.

Interesting side note: When I was in my teens I'd bike 20-40 miles in the country about twice a week
and didn't carry any repair kits or spare tires. In 5 years I NEVER got a flat that stranded me.
Amazing. Oddly now that I look back on it, I never even thought about my tires going flat from a
puncture. Then I moved off to college and started biking in a city. A flat the first week.

Uwe Reymann wrote:

>Having just gone back to a road bike after years of riding a mountain bike (specifically to avoid
>punctures), it did not take me long to pick up my first puncture.
>
>Besides, in future, ensuring that the tyres are pumped to maximum pressure, is there anything else
>I should do to minimise punctures.
>

>Thanks
>

>Uwe

Hi

I use tyre liners, a plastic band placed between the tyre and the tube. You can see it here:
http://www.snbdirect.dk/Pictures/Proline/AntiPlatt.gif It's not something I use for racing, but for
winter and bad weather-training it works really well for me, I had my first puncture in 3000km 2
weeks ago. I actually use these liners to get the last km's out of my racing tyres (Vittoria CX and
Conti GP3000) in the winter.

Leo