Punctures

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Arctic Corsair, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I'm having some problems with punctures lately.

    I'm thinking that there may be a problem with the wheel as the punctures are tending to be on the
    underside of the inner tube near to the valve. I've had the tyre off and have checked for
    protruding/sharp spokes and have found nothing. All the spokes seem to be tight.

    Anyway, i'm gonna take it in to a local shop in the morning to get it checked.

    Was also wondering if it's worth getting a tube of that Inner Tube Slime or is it just a gimmick?

    Mick in Hull

    Tags:

  2. AndyMorris

    AndyMorris Guest

    Arctic Corsair wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm having some problems with punctures lately.
    >
    > I'm thinking that there may be a problem with the wheel as the punctures are tending to be on the
    > underside of the inner tube near to the valve. I've had the tyre off and have checked for
    > protruding/sharp spokes and have found nothing. All the spokes seem to be tight.
    >
    > Anyway, i'm gonna take it in to a local shop in the morning to get it checked.
    >
    > Was also wondering if it's worth getting a tube of that Inner Tube Slime or is it just a gimmick?
    >
    > Mick in Hull

    A coupla ideas...

    Do you have a tube with a presta valve in a rim with a schraeder hole?

    Do you have that cheap and nasty rim tape that can move around? Get Velox.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  3. I have Raleigh branded tubes with the usual Schraeder valves. At the moment, I have the rim tape
    that was supplied with the bike.

    FWIW I ride a Raleigh MTB but i'll be going to better one in the summer. I've not ridden a bike in
    years so got a cheapo one to start me back into the whole cycling thing :)

  4. Arctic Corsair wrote:

    > I'm thinking that there may be a problem with the wheel as the punctures are tending to be on the
    > underside of the inner tube near to the valve.

    How near the valve? I had a spate of punctures which ended up being caused by rim tape that couldnt
    handle high pressures. When pumped up the tape (plastic) expanded into the spoke hole causing the
    tube to get pinched in the gap. What rim tape do you have?

    > Was also wondering if it's worth getting a tube of that Inner Tube Slime or is it just a gimmick?

    Depends on your tyre, Ive found on high pressure racer tyres if your front punctures you end up
    getting a mouth full of slime before you stop with a near as good flat tyre. Works better on wider
    lower pressure tyres say 32 or larger.

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Arctic Corsair wrote:
    > I'm thinking that there may be a problem with the wheel as the punctures are tending to be on the
    > underside of the inner tube near to the valve. I've had the tyre off and have checked for
    > protruding/sharp spokes and have found nothing. All the spokes seem to be tight.
    >
    > Anyway, i'm gonna take it in to a local shop in the morning to get it checked.

    Some rim tapes supplied with new bikes aren't up to the job. Unless you/they are certain that it's
    good, ask the shop to change it for a better type.

    > Was also wondering if it's worth getting a tube of that Inner Tube Slime or is it just a gimmick?

    More than a gimmick - but you need to solve the cause anyway if wheel is causing the punctures. To
    tackle repeated normal punctures, though, simply replacing tyres for ones with thicker rubber is
    better than messing about with any special products on the inside.

    ~PB

  6. Msa

    Msa Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Arctic Corsair wrote:
    > > I'm thinking that there may be a problem with the wheel as the punctures are tending to be on
    > > the underside of the inner tube near to the valve. I've had the tyre off and have checked for
    > > protruding/sharp spokes and have found nothing. All the spokes seem to be tight.
    > >
    > > Anyway, i'm gonna take it in to a local shop in the morning to get it checked.
    >
    > Some rim tapes supplied with new bikes aren't up to the job. Unless you/they are certain that it's
    > good, ask the shop to change it for a better type.
    >
    > > Was also wondering if it's worth getting a tube of that Inner Tube Slime or is it just a
    > > gimmick?
    >
    > More than a gimmick - but you need to solve the cause anyway if wheel is causing the punctures. To
    > tackle repeated normal punctures, though, simply replacing tyres for ones with thicker rubber is
    > better than messing about with any special products on the inside.
    >
    > ~PB

    Buy and install Velox rim tape. Buy and install tyre liners. Unless your REALLY unlucky, no more
    punctures.

    --
    Mark

    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear
    bright until you hear them speak"