Punctures

PembsCycer

Aug 1, 2007
Morning all,

Just posting to regards with tyre punctures on 700c racing tyres. I have not found a way to go a full length cycle, usually around 30-40 miles and not get a puncture, the tinyist piece of glass will cause this. Has anybody found a way around this, as i am going through puncture repair kits like wildfire. I ride on the road, and only the road, and i am carefull not to go over any sharp objects.

Many thanks,

Nathan J

PembsCycer said:
Morning all,

Just posting to regards with tyre punctures on 700c racing tyres. I have not found a way to go a full length cycle, usually around 30-40 miles and not get a puncture, the tinyist piece of glass will cause this. Has anybody found a way around this, as i am going through puncture repair kits like wildfire. I ride on the road, and only the road, and i am carefull not to go over any sharp objects.

Many thanks,

Nathan J
What tyres are you using? That's not normal even for winter!

Yup, not normal at all if you are riding on road. I ride on miserable roads here in Rome and find that I flat 1-2 times a season. Riding Vittoria Rubinho Pros, so nothing special tire-wise.

Are you sure you have mounted your clinchers correctly and are not pinch flatting your inner tubes that way? Are you following the recommended inflation pressure?

Powerful Pete said:
Yup, not normal at all if you are riding on road. I ride on miserable roads here in Rome and find that I flat 1-2 times a season. Riding Vittoria Rubinho Pros, so nothing special tire-wise.

Are you sure you have mounted your clinchers correctly and are not pinch flatting your inner tubes that way? Are you following the recommended inflation pressure?
As Pete said, check and make sure you are not getting pinch flats. If it IS **** that is causing your flats, try some Continental GP 4000's. I ride on those and pretty much have to ride through a pile of glass to get a flat.

PembsCycer said:
Morning all,

Many thanks,

Nathan J
Just a shot in the dark, but are you using rim tape?

PembsCycer said:
Morning all,

Many thanks,

Nathan J
also closely inspect your tire for something that may be still causing the flats. a small piece of wire can do what you describe.

thoughtforfood said:
Just a shot in the dark, but are you using rim tape?
Also check the rim tape for any holes or tears.

So just when you thinking you had day...

Last week commuting to work and home I had 3 punctures in two days. First one from a sharp object also left a 3mm gash in tyre. Replaced with Tyre and put in new tube.
mad.gif

next day punctured 100meters from the same spot
eek.gif
replaced tube got home and tyre was flat again.
confused.gif
I looked at tube there was a large hole in tube where it blew the tape above the spoke. Had the throw two new tubes holes were too big to repair. (tried to repair but the patch blew off) I replaced the tape on both rims now everything is good!

(on the first puncture my pump also blew :mad: so it was a cab home .) I had to buy a new pump,

body count: 1 Tyre, 3 Tubes, Rim tape, Pump
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Sorry i've been abit late replying....

I am not using rim tape, have never heard of it before.

I have often thought about placing the tyre in another tyre, ive heard about it on here before. But at the moment i have more immediate matters at hand.

It isn't a puncture though, which is good.

On my way to work the other morning (0500), after turning onto the main junction for hill leading towards the dual carriage way, i went over something (at a deadly speed aswell, 45MPH) i were near the centre of the road when "THUD", i run over something, which i believe to be a raised surface in the road (i hope :eek: ).

Had to do an emergency stop, which as a result, made my back wheel lose control, however i was able to stop safely at a pull-in next to the post office.

I looked at the front wheel and realised that it had buckled, badly. And upon inspection of the back wheel, i find i had been riding on the rim since i had gone over the raised surface.

Spend 30-40 minutes trying to unbuckle, and replace the front and back wheels. To no avail. End up walking home in a very angry mood with a p11sed of look on my face.

I have been very lucky i did not do any damage though, as Junior took most of the shock :rolleyes:

Now thinking of what to do, whether i should purchase a new set of tyres, or keep saving for the BARRACUDA.

which would you do?

Thanks for all of you're help, it has been much appreaciated!

Nathan J

some messengers use one tyre inside another, seems to work, hard to mount the tyre, def need some good tyre levers.

try some tyre strips, they go inbetween the tube and the inner surface of the tyre.