Punctures

Mike Terry

Guest
What is the best type of tube for road riding that reduces the risk of punctures?

Many thanks

Mike

Makes little difference I think. The fatter the tube is in relation to the tyre, the less often you
will have to pump it. Dá raimhre é an tiúb sea is annamha go gcaitear é a theannadh (Irish Gaelic).
Howz about that.

Thanks.

Any info.about types of tyres that are less likely to puncture? I suppose the tyre rather than tube
is more relevant.

Many thanks

Mike

"Mike Terry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> What is the best type of tube for road riding that reduces the risk of punctures?

I find that puncture likelihood is more realated to the type of road you ride than the type of tyre.
The more traffic on the road, the less the puncture risk, as car tyres are excellent at sweeping
away sharp items like glass, thorns etc.

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 21:01:32 +0000 (UTC), "Mike Terry" <[email protected]> wrote:

>What is the best type of tube for road riding that reduces the risk of punctures?

A tube with a Kevlar belted tyre round it :-D

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Mike Terry wrote:
> Any info.about types of tyres that are less likely to puncture?

One with a thick layer of rubber. What type of bike and cycling would it be for?

Type of inner tube will make very little difference when it comes to preventing normal punctures,
but thicker (ie. non ultralight) tubes will be more durable when it comes to dealing with cuts and
any rough bits inside tyre and rim. Thin tubes can eventually develop holes as they rub against
cuts, etc.

~PB

Thicker tyres like Continental Top Touring do puncture less. Also, Kevlar belt tyres also definitely
puncture less in my experience, though wire and other things can penetrate them.

"Richard Keatinge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In message <[email protected]>, Mike Terry <[email protected]> writes
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Any info.about types of tyres that are less likely to puncture? I suppose the tyre rather than
> >tube is more relevant.
>
> A tyre with tough plastic tape between it and the tube! Works well for me, and I note that the
> modern ones come with nicely pre-feathered edges.
>
> --
> Richard Keatinge
>
> http://www.keatinge.demon.co.uk/pedal.htm

For commuting, I've found Conti Ultra Gator Skins - despite the daft name - have been almost bullet
proof, but have still ridden well.

Alan