Punctures

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mike Terry, Feb 23, 2003.

  1. Mike Terry

    Mike Terry Guest

    What is the best type of tube for road riding that reduces the risk of punctures?

    Many thanks

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Makes little difference I think. The fatter the tube is in relation to the tyre, the less often you
    will have to pump it. Dá raimhre é an tiúb sea is annamha go gcaitear é a theannadh (Irish Gaelic).
    Howz about that.

  3. Mike Terry

    Mike Terry Guest

    Thanks.

    Any info.about types of tyres that are less likely to puncture? I suppose the tyre rather than tube
    is more relevant.

    Many thanks

    Mike

  4. "Mike Terry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > What is the best type of tube for road riding that reduces the risk of punctures?

    I find that puncture likelihood is more realated to the type of road you ride than the type of tyre.
    The more traffic on the road, the less the puncture risk, as car tyres are excellent at sweeping
    away sharp items like glass, thorns etc.

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 21:01:32 +0000 (UTC), "Mike Terry" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What is the best type of tube for road riding that reduces the risk of punctures?

    A tube with a Kevlar belted tyre round it :-D

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Mike Terry wrote:
    > Any info.about types of tyres that are less likely to puncture?

    One with a thick layer of rubber. What type of bike and cycling would it be for?

    Type of inner tube will make very little difference when it comes to preventing normal punctures,
    but thicker (ie. non ultralight) tubes will be more durable when it comes to dealing with cuts and
    any rough bits inside tyre and rim. Thin tubes can eventually develop holes as they rub against
    cuts, etc.

    ~PB

  7. Thicker tyres like Continental Top Touring do puncture less. Also, Kevlar belt tyres also definitely
    puncture less in my experience, though wire and other things can penetrate them.

  8. In message <[email protected]>, Mike Terry <[email protected]> writes
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Any info.about types of tyres that are less likely to puncture? I suppose the tyre rather than tube
    >is more relevant.

    A tyre with tough plastic tape between it and the tube! Works well for me, and I note that the
    modern ones come with nicely pre-feathered edges.

    --
    Richard Keatinge

    http://www.keatinge.demon.co.uk/pedal.htm

  9. Alan Moffatt

    Alan Moffatt Guest

    "Richard Keatinge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In message <[email protected]>, Mike Terry <[email protected]> writes
    > >Thanks.
    > >
    > >Any info.about types of tyres that are less likely to puncture? I suppose the tyre rather than
    > >tube is more relevant.
    >
    > A tyre with tough plastic tape between it and the tube! Works well for me, and I note that the
    > modern ones come with nicely pre-feathered edges.
    >
    > --
    > Richard Keatinge
    >
    > http://www.keatinge.demon.co.uk/pedal.htm

    For commuting, I've found Conti Ultra Gator Skins - despite the daft name - have been almost bullet
    proof, but have still ridden well.

    Alan