Purchase of New Road Bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by dougal, Nov 16, 2003.

1. dougal

dougal New Member

Am thinking of buying a new Road Bike

Choices are:

2003 Klein Q Carbon Team
    2004 Trek 5200
    2003 Pinarello Galielo
    2003 Wilier Alp de Huez

All Ultergra Groupsets

All around the 5000 AUD (USD 3500) mark

Any thoughts on the merits of each?

> Currently leaning towards the Klein (good deal as closeout)

Tags:

2. yamaha_mike

yamaha_mike New Member

Did a quick google to check 'em out (except for the trek). Looks like you can't go wrong with these beauties. Especially if you are getting a bargain.

Have fun =)

3. EastCoast

EastCoast New Member

2003 Pinarello Galielo hands down!

4. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Hands down nothin'! Go for the Klein or the Willier!

Mmmmm.... Klein....

5. dougal

dougal New Member

If Dura Ace is an option should I take it or is Ultegra Ok? I don't race and currently ride 105 (6 years old)

Which wheel option? (Trek and Klein are Bontragers)

6. redfrogz

redfrogz New Member

I think all these bikes will do the job equally well - and if you don't have the opportunity to test ride them to see which one feels the best to you, then your decision will come down to which one either looks the best or the one you can get the best deal on.
    I've just last week bought an Alpe D'huez and I think it's the dogs nads - rides and looks superb. My other option at the time was a Fondriest Max Carb frameset and build the bike up with components bought separately - but in the en the Wilier just had the edge - and I got a good deal. I think the fact that it is a slightly more obscure name than the other names here (and everywhere I've looked it always gets ace reviews) gives it a certain extra je ne sais quoi(?).
    Bear in mind that when Pantani got the record time riding Alpe D'huez he was on a Wilier.
    For info - it's medium size got Centaur 10sp groupset, Campag Zonda wheels and Look pedals and comes in at under 19lbs. With your budget you may be able to get a few upgrades to this spec and get the weight down further to 17/18 lbs.
    I've a friend who has a Klein and whilst it looks good and I'm sure rides well, it didn't 'do it' for me.

7. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Yeah, really; those are all lovely bikes. It's a matter of preference at this point (aside from fit). Ultegra's fine; plenty of guys who do race use it. No one's going to stop you if you feel like treating yourself to Dura Ace, though. It's a matter of cash and decadence.